Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

There's no such thing as left and right anymore...

..because recognising fascist slogans is the same thing as being a Stalinist Kommissar :facepalm:

Phil, none of this ever effects you - you're a privileged rich white man, you're a prof now is it? This is why it's always a joke to you. Off this thread.

What's really underpins the statement is often right wing populism. You get a bunch of politicians who pander to it, all the small state fetishists, who say "hey, government is shit. tch. uselss. Vote for me" - and people drool behind them saying "wow, that guys really with it, politics is shit, government is shit. I'll vote for them."

While I don't much trust government, it could and should be at least democratically accountable and capable of doing things in the public interest rather than the interests of capital.

Anyone who runs for government on the premise of saying "government is shit" is probably worthy of a wide berth. Like so much of mordern right wing populism, it's a hoax.

Labour politicians did, and some still do, push the idea that the Iraq War was some kind of emancipatory internationalist crusade. Oh no, this destroys the whole paradigm! The left is dead, time to join with the fascists in the war on usury!

If you think the Left/Right metaphor is still valid, then you ought to be able to define "Left" and "Right."

Or at least somebody ought to.

Can anybody?

If you think the Left/Right metaphor is still valid, then you ought to be able to define "Left" and "Right."

Or at least somebody ought to.

Can anybody?

Well, one simplistic argument is that the left is for big government and the right for small.

the way I see it the traditional european left have largely given up on the economic and anti imperialist front and instead concentrated on the issues and arena Phil Dwyer identifies . Which I personally dont regard as left wing positions at all as neo liberals often have the very same position . And the very stance taken often compliments the neo liberal position rather than opposes it . A neo liberal capitalist can be just as fervent a supporter of unrestricted immigration, no borders, gay marriage etc as any leftie . Just as intolerant and dismissive of any spiritual beliefs etc .
The more irrelevant they become the more they will focus on the minutiae of irrelevance . Id agree with him up to a point about some of the more tiresome traits that accompany that irrelevance and surrender.

where I completely disagree with him is that theres no such thing as left and right any more in the ideological sense . There is, just as there always was . Its just that the left in most of western europe have largely surrendered in the face of neo liberal western supremacy, lost their relevance and become incapable of inspiring the disaffected to any great degree . Unlike the right who have had little difficulty hoovering that former leftist disaffection up in places like France. And who on occasion sound more left wing than mainstream leftists.

there are thankfully though more places on earth than western europe .

the way I see it the traditional european left have largely given up on the economic and anti imperialist front and instead concentrated on the issues and arena Phil Dwyer identifies . Which I personally dont regard as left wing positions at all

This is one good reason I think the terms are obsolete.

As the term is currently used, one can be "Left-wing" and pro-capitalist so long as one is anti-racist, anti-sexist etc. Which I think makes a mockery of the term.

The point is that there are plenty of people on the traditional "Right" who favor big government.
I think in British politics it holds - right means smaller and left means bigger.
At least it used to. These days as mentioned labour and tory are very similar in most things.

the way I see it the traditional european left have largely given up on the economic and anti imperialist front and instead concentrated on the issues and arena Phil Dwyer identifies . Which I personally dont regard as left wing positions at all as neo liberals often have the very same position . And the very stance taken often compliments the neo liberal position rather than opposes it . A neo liberal capitalist can be just as fervent a supporter of unrestricted immigration, no borders, gay marriage etc as any leftie . Just as intolerant and dismissive of any spiritual beliefs etc .
The more irrelevant they become the more they will focus on the minutiae of irrelevance . Id agree with him up to a point about some of the more tiresome traits that accompany that irrelevance and surrender.

where I completely disagree with him is that theres no such thing as left and right any more in the ideological sense . There is, just as there always was . Its just that the left in most of western europe have largely surrendered in the face of neo liberal western supremacy, lost their relevance and become incapable of inspiring the disaffected to any great degree . Unlike the right who have had little difficulty hoovering that former leftist disaffection up in places like France. And who on occasion sound more left wing than mainstream leftists.

there are thankfully though more places on earth than western europe .
Bizarre post. The left have given up on their traditional social liberalism? Which is causing support for parties supporting anti-social-liberalism. Which means they become more irrelevant whilst the ideas they used to support when they hared gays and foreigners become more popular. What a confused boy.

Back
Top Bottom