Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

He’s either God or he’s a bad man..
I love it , simple and true
I think everyone should ask that to themselves and like Bishop Bob said make your decision .

This is old, but on point

...convinced that Jesus had the healthiest mind, but also attracted by his glorious character.
It's more likely that he was mad, misunderstood, misrepresented or bad than that he was the incarnation of the fundamental principle of all creation, a fully human being that is also an omnipotent timeless deity, two separate natures in one person, who sentences himself to a painful death to redeem a punishment that he himself ordered.

I doubt very much that Jesus would recognise the teachings of his immediate followers after his death, nevermind Paul or the Gospel writers nevermind the proto orthodox nevermind the modern Catholic Church.

He was probably an apocalyptic Jewish rabbi who thought the end was near. And if he thought that he was wrong because it wasn't.

I doubt very much that Jesus would recognise the teachings of his immediate followers after his death, nevermind Paul or the Gospel writers nevermind the proto orthodox nevermind the modern Catholic Church.

He was probably an apocalyptic Jewish rabbi who thought the end was near. And if he thought that he was wrong because it wasn't.
Yes, he said that the end would be coming within the lifetime of his disciples.
Just one of his mistakes.

Could he have been a charismatic bullshitter with complicated motives, some of them righteous and some self-serving?
You know, a human being?

There's really no way of knowing what the historical Jesus believed.

Going by the evidence -- which is dubious enough -- it seems likely that there was someone charismatic whose take on Jewish law was more liberal than that prevailing in his time. And he was punished for this.

Whether anything he's supposed to have said or done actually took place is as likely as any rumour.

Back
Top Bottom