Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

We accept that the Fathers of the Church were inspired by the Holy Spirit. If you don't accept this, then you're not Catholic

How do you know who was and was not inspired by the Holy Spirit? That question is not the same as "Who do you accept was inspired by the Holy Spirit?"

That was the purpose of the Councils, to determine exactly that

But how did they do it?

Suppose you have some Christian text before you. You read it and you assess it. Maybe you agree with some of it and maybe you disagree with some of it. Maybe you like some of it and maybe you dislike some of it. Maybe some of it is factually incorrect and maybe some of it is factually correct. But where in that process of assessing it do you see or fail to see the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? What characteristics do writings inspired by the Holy Spirit have?

But how did they do it?

Suppose you have some Christian text before you. You read it and you assess it. Maybe you agree with some of it and maybe you disagree with some of it. Maybe you like some of it and maybe you dislike some of it. Maybe some of it is factually incorrect and maybe some of it is factually correct. But where in that process of assessing it do you see or fail to see the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? What characteristics do writings inspired by the Holy Spirit have?
The Council prays & discusses and reaches a decision.

More politically than theologically motivated. no one has ever said that the interrogations were guided by the holy spirit
They were convinced that they were divinely inspired and doing God's work. Just like Sharia courts do. And just like Oliver Cromwell and the Puritans did.

They were convinced that they were divinely inspired and doing God's work. Just like Sharia courts do. And just like Oliver Cromwell and the Puritans did.
They may've been convinced of it, but they were not.
Personally, I think the motivation for the actions was nearly 100% political

The source of the document, its age, and other evidence of authenticity

That will tell them about authenticity not whether it is divinely inspired.

Sorry to keep pushing you on this. You can just say "I don't know what standards The Councils have to decide on matters of early Christian Heresy".

Personally, I am sure they will have their reasons for their assessments. But then the "heretic" also has their reasons for thinking they're correct. That one side has reasons does not at all make it apparent who is and who isn't divinely inspired.

By the way this stuff about heresies has historically been very high stakes. See the genocide of that Cathars for instance.

OK, I'll say it. I don't know.
I think it would take a recognized doctor or at least advanced student of theology to answer you in the manner you seek

Many of us are satisfied to trust in the teaching authority of the Church, God's desire that his Church be informed to the degree necessary that the teachings are valid and and are of less than completely cynical nature.

OK, I'll say it. I don't know.
I think it would take a recognized doctor or at least advanced student of theology to answer you in the manner you seek

Many of us are satisfied to trust in the teaching authority of the Church, God's desire that his Church be informed to the degree necessary that the teachings are valid and and are of less than completely cynical nature.

OK I'll leave you alone but I can't resist one last thought. You talk about the teaching authority of the Church - but if the Church can't teach the whys and wherefores of its doctrine because that's too advanced are you really learning or are you just following?

Unquestioning obedience is required.
How sad.

Augustine of Hippo pretty much says just that in City of God, I think when he's talking about the moon and planets. Something to the effect of by the grace of God you might understand what I mean, but if not you must believe it anyway. And he's one of the 'Fathers of the Church'.

Augustine of Hippo pretty much says just that in City of God, I think when he's talking about the moon and planets. Something to the effect of by the grace of God you might understand what I mean, but if not you must believe it anyway. And he's one of the 'Fathers of the Church'.
is that bad?

is that bad?
Well kind of, yes.

It's one thing for someone to choose to uncritically swallow something that makes no sense because it feels good, or for one reason or another they don't want to think about it anyway, but to tell people they must? Come on, how is that not bad?

Well kind of, yes.

It's one thing for someone to choose to uncritically swallow something that makes no sense because it feels good, or for one reason or another they don't want to think about it anyway, but to tell people they must? Come on, how is that not bad?
The theology of the Church does make sense, though

Back
Top Bottom