Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Tory attacks on the BBC begin in earnest

Doctor Who, HIGNFY, Football Focus and Match of the Day are just about all I watch on TV. My wife and daughter like spring and autumn watch, as knowledgeable as Chris Packham is, he just annoys me. I suspect that is because I'm the same sort of annoying person that he is. I like the OU/BBC Wartime Farm and similar.

I would to some extent, defend the beeb, but I remember how they have been a government mouthpiece since the Gilligan thing and kind of think, well fuck 'em. I'd oppose the beeb being filleted on the principle that it might annoy the tories them not getting their own way.

hmmmm, difficult one.

i have, i shall confess, some difficulty with the way the BBC - as the public service broadcaster - mirrors the output of the commercial broadcasters but with the public service broadcasters coin.

in effect, i believe that the BBC should do the things that the commercial broadcasters can't, or won't, that are in the 'public interest' - so kids tv without adverts or product placements, the news and investigative journalism/current affairs stuff that just cost too much for commercial organisations to produce, the challenging/interesting documentaries, drama, film and comedy that the advertisers won't be interested in sponsoring etc..

i don't see why the BBC needs its own version - exactly the same in content, but with a BBC label - of i'm a strictly celebrity dancing on ice, or the voice factor, or soaps, or whatever D-lister wants to plug their book/film. all that stuff is on free-to-air commercial tv, its already being done, there's no hole to fill.

does Radio 2 fill a hole that no free-to-air commercial broadcaster will fill? to me it seems completely mainstream with nothing differentiating its product from any other radio station i get while going (or sitting still..) on the M6. Radio 4 is the complete opposite, with Radio 1 perhaps somewhere inbetween with its not-available-on-commercial, public service stuff in the evenings, but during the day its no different to Heart or Capital.

it would be interesting to see how much cash and airtime would be available if the BBC ditched its ITV/freeview clones and waste -of-electricity-dross (cash in the attic anyone?) and reformed its Byzantine management structure - what impact would that have on comedy, drama, natural history etc...?

Not an easy one. I don't have a television and am not that really interested in the mainstream programmes. When I'm visiting my son I may catch the news on the BBC or C4 and the occasionally current affairs and nature programmes. I grew up in the radio era and still love it.

There is lots to criticise the BBC for such as criminalising those who can't or won't pay for a licence. Then there's the top dogs and their hefty salaries - bastard Purnell springs to mind. But, that said, I would rather have the BBC for all its faults - and there are many - than a media saturated and controlled by pure commercial interests e.g. Murdoch Empire.

The BBC have been responsible for some brilliant radio and television comedy in addition to their investigative programmes - no not Watchdog! They also do drama very well. Likewise the World Service produces some excellent programmes.

Bottom line is: Camoron's Vermin are hell bent on destroying anything that performs a public and social function. It is Turbo Charged Thatcherism. For that reason alone I would support the BBC in fighting them all the way.

Another vote for 'fuck the BBC'

I don't watch much TV, but I detest having to pay a license fee for something I will not watch, and for my license fee going towards protecting their peado friends. Fuck them. Fuck them in the arse. If there was an opt out for the license fee, I'd opt straight out of it no question. And there should be, no doubt about it.

On one hand I resent paying the licence fee in order to watch ANY tv programs, but on the other I have spent time in the USA where they have a deregulated TV output and while there are loads of channels, there is usually nothing on, at least nothing I wanted to watch.

And in Spain their private stations feature 20 minute ad breaks which is just unsustainable, people there watch two programs so they can flick from one to another, to avoid the ads, it is just crazy. Britain would be foolish to go in either an American or a Spanish direction.

Consumers are changing their habits, we are consuming on phones, on tablets, on home PCs, we are watching catchup, downloading podcasts, using the iPlayer. There are increasing numbers who don't have a traditional TV set and are avoiding the licence fee while the over 70s (may be 75) are getting their licence fee for free so a review of the licence fee could be timely.

Do you have a point?
You thinking that over 75s, most of whom have paid licence fees and taxes for years, getting something 'for free' is somehow a justification for this bullshit. Do you do anything but swallow tabloid stories whole?

They should bring back John Noakes.

No, literally bring him back - he's wandered off again and we're a little concerned.

You thinking that over 75s, most of whom have paid licence fees and taxes for years, getting something 'for free' is somehow a justification for this bullshit. Do you do anything but swallow tabloid stories whole?
It would be tricky for me to swallow tabloid stories as I don't take any tabloids. The BBC wants a review because, 1) more people are not paying and b) they now don't get licence income from over 75s.

If the BBC has its way people who don't have a TV but listen to BBC Radio or watch the iPlayer will have to buy a licence of some kind - which for many of us will be a backwards step.

You make it sound like paying the license fee is an obligation.
That is how the BBC sees it yes, and I think they will want to reinforce that view in the review.

I am against the licence fee, I don't see why I should pay to fund the massive pay packets of the BBC fat cats, in order to watch ANY tv channel including those funded by advertising.

Five things we learned about the future of the BBC
Culture secretary John Whittingdale unveils the biggest overhaul of the corporation for a decade - so what did we find out?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11745350/Five-things-we-learned-about-the-future-of-the-BBC.html

Not very extensive, and not tackling the issue of paying the BBC only if you receive BBC content, rather trying to ensure you pay a licence even if you are a Sky subscriber, but looking at some issues around the corporation.

If the BBC has to be funded separately from independent producers I think they should investigate the possibility of it being funded through general taxation. #dontlikethelicencefee

I would personally make it a subscription service, then all the BBC haters and whiners could simply opt out and not have access to any of their output at all.

Although i'm pretty certain that the BBC haters and whiners who actively consume telly and radio would secretly subscribe, like the shy Tories they are.

60% of Brits want BBC licence fee scrapped in favour of ad-supported model
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2015/07...icence-fee-scrapped-favour-ad-supported-model
Silly sausages.

The beauty of the BBC is that it is non-commercial, so is not dictated too by the advertisers. This allows initially non-popular stuff to be nurtured. Plus you watch an hour drama or documentary on BBC, you get a ruddy hour - that's why American imports are a bit awkward on BBC - 42 minutes for drama, 22 minutes for sitcom - a bit of a scheduling headache.

Haven't had a telly for years. I have little sympathy for the BBC particularly for their bias but also because they are part of the merry-go-round of executives on obscene salaries. Bit like musical chairs.

Back
Top Bottom