Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Queen's Christmas Broadcast

Did you watch the Queen on Christmas Day?

• My parents made me watch it when I was a child

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I time my Christmas meal so we can all be sitting around the telly to watch it

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I don't even celebrate Christmas so why would I bother watching her?

• I don't celebrate Christmas, but I enjoyed watching the Queen's broadcast that day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Lambert is not as good as Freddy Mercury, although close.

• The telly is on in the background on Christmas Day, so I watched the Queen by osmosis/accident

• I have never watched it, and am not ashamed to admit it

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • I am ashamed to admit that I watched it every year

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • How many options has this poll got? Shall I choose this one as well?

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I used to watch it but I certainly won't be watching the King's Broadcast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Guineveretoo

Mostly bewildered
Of course I know that the Queen did a Christmas broadcast on Christmas Day, at 3pm, I believe.

But I am wondering if there is something odd about me and my family, because I have never watched it. We didn't watch it as children, and we didn't watch it once I grew up.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would turn the telly on to see what the Queen was saying, and, until the last day or two, I assumed it was just one of those things that was done but most people read about whatever she had said in the papers afterwards.

Did you guys watch it?

My folks used to include it in Christmas day telly but I haven't watched it since. I might have watched the annus horribilis one though.

My folks used to include it in Christmas day telly but I haven't watched it since. I might have watched the annus horribilis one though.
did she say that twice, then? I saw something on telly yesterday which was her saying that at some dinner or other after Windsor burnt.

I have never actively watched it. I may have been on in the background a few times, but the TV is normally off for Christmas afternoon. Even as kids

I watched as a kid , but there wasn't much on the Telly (3 channels) and iirc , they usually showed the big Christmas film after it (crafty🤔) but I haven't watched it since about 1978 .

The only time I actually watched it was when I was staying with the family of a British Consul as a kid. I think it was on in my boarding house but nobody made me watch it. As an adult it's not something I've ever done. That said, I think that for a lot of people, it's part of the Christmas tradition.

If I watched one, it was the alternative Queens speech on Channel 4, appropriately kicked off by Quentin Crisp in 1993.
I remember those, there was Ali G one year, the beckhams, Iranian President Ahmadinejad. Real mixed bag.

Of course I know that the Queen did a Christmas broadcast on Christmas Day, at 3pm, I believe.

i hate to be the one to tell you, but she pre-recorded it and would probably have been having an after lunch nap by then

i suggest you don't ask questions about jools holland and his new years eve thing

:p

I've never sat and watched the whole thing as far as I remember, I have caught bits of it by turning the telly on at the wrong time.

Never watched it as a kid but my brother decided he wanted to start watching it as a teenager and so it became a family tradition. I usually went for a post christmas dinner dump

I'm so freakishly middle class that I grew up in a household without a TV, so never watched it as a child, and thus it's never been part of Christmas for me. In fact I'm struggling to remember if I've actually ever watched it.

The only time I actually watched it was when I was staying with the family of a British Consul as a kid. I think it was on in my boarding house but nobody made me watch it. As an adult it's not something I've ever done. That said, I think that for a lot of people, it's part of the Christmas tradition.
but who are these people who watch it as part of their tradition? I hear there are lots of them, but I am not sure I have ever met one...

i hate to be the one to tell you, but she pre-recorded it and would probably have been having an after lunch nap by then

i suggest you don't ask questions about jools holland and his new years eve thing

:p
I am not suggesting that the Queen did it live - that is not what this is about. I am just bewildered about the people who watched it on Christmas Day.

My gran would have wanted it on if she was there when i was a kid but i wouldn't have paid any attention. Never watched it as an adult.

I wonder if she had recorded this years yet? :hmm: (i know it wasn't done live)

did she say that twice, then? I saw something on telly yesterday which was her saying that at some dinner or other after Windsor burnt.

Someone at a dinner she was at said to Liz that her year had been an annus horribilis, and Liz quoted that in her Christmas broadcast. (On Friday I subtitled a documentary that mentioned it).

I occasionally watch it because it can be interesting to which of the year's events have been included and what's been left out. Depends if we happen to be watching anything else at that point or just playing board games/cooking/eating.

Lunch was late and chaotic, but the television was usually on somewhere in the house so occasionally saw bits of it, but was not from a family of officionadoes. Watched the one made in Hounslow because it was a Local Queen's Speech for Local People. However, I was an adult by the time that happened.

Someone at a dinner she was at said to Liz that her year had been an annus horribilis, and Liz quoted that in her Christmas broadcast. (On Friday I subtitled a documentary that mentioned it).

I occasionally watch it because it can be interesting to which of the year's events have been included and what's been left out. Depends if we happen to be watching anything else at that point or just playing board games/cooking/eating.
It was said at a dinner at the Guildhall in November 1992 - https://www.royal.uk/annus-horribilis-speech - which is the time I saw in the documentary that was on telly yesterday.
She might also have said it at Christmas, though.

Here's the transcript of the 1992 queen's Xmas message https://www.royal.uk/christmas-broadcast-1992 no horribilis there.

Back
Top Bottom