Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing stupidity of Home Secretary Priti Patel

Am I right in hearing on the news yesterday that Priti fucking Patel was basically calling Braverman a class A attention seeking right wing cunt? :D

Through the looking glass now.

Sorry. 'Dame' Priti. When did that happen ffs.

Reactions: Ax^
She has more time to concentrate on her singing career ... as she has just been eliminated from the Conservative Party leadership contest in the first round of voting.
(we don't have a shocked pikachu emoji? ::shocked pikachu:: )
Is that level of humiliation a guarantee of defection to Reform do you think?

If only we could rid the world of snobbery so easily.
I can't speak for breadandcircuse, but I do find her speech affectations to seem quite fake. That, and the patterns of speech she has that sound like something out of The League of Gentlemen, just rub me up the wrong way. I don't think it's snobbishness - I'll listen to Mick Lynch's proper Sarf London style very happily...because it comes across as genuinely congruent to the sort of person he is (or, at least, that I perceive him to be).

For someone in her former position, who has the benefit of media training etc, she grinds my gears dropping the g off the end of her words. The same as Beth Rigby. How is that being snobbish?
It's the least bad thing about her imo. And you can't separate that stuff from class, therefore, there's an element of punching down - not towards her, but others who drop their gs, vowels etc.

I can't speak for breadandcircuse, but I do find her speech affectations to seem quite fake. That, and the patterns of speech she has that sound like something out of The League of Gentlemen, just rub me up the wrong way. I don't think it's snobbishness - I'll listen to Mick Lynch's proper Sarf London style very happily...because it comes across as genuinely congruent to the sort of person he is (or, at least, that I perceive him to be).
It irritates me a lot more to hear one posh person after another reminding us why we're listening to them and not someone else in the first place - because they went to the "right" school, were related to the "right" people etc.

It's the least bad thing about her imo. And you can't separate that stuff from class, therefore, there's an element of punching down - not towards her, but others who drop their gs, vowels etc.
No, I've never punched down on others. She and Rigby are media trained and have no reason not to adapt their speech with training. Both middle class at the least with Rigby being the daughter of a head teacher. Do not try and make this as if I am punching down on others as a class thing, something I have not done.

I agree that there are worse things about her, to say the least, but she gets right up my nose with her speech.

It irritates me a lot more to hear one posh person after another reminding us why we're listening to them and not someone else in the first place - because they went to the "right" school, were related to the "right" people etc.
I have no problem with people's real accents, and the more that we hear from those who do not speak as if they were born with a plum in their mouth the better. This is not my gripe though with her. As existentialist described so eloquently, it sounds fake, and to me, it's just laziness to not finish your words properly. That is nothing to do with class.

I have no problem with people's real accents, and the more that we hear from those who do not speak as if they were born with a plum in their mouth the better. This is not my gripe though with her. As existentialist described so eloquently, it sounds fake, and to me, it's just laziness to not finish your words properly. That is nothing to do with class.
Oh, come on...all politicians are fake. This is the least worst element of her many and various faults. Let's stick to the politics, eh?

This is a day when we should be laughing at her failure to attract support from her peers, partly because some see her as too "woke" and partly because some see her a too "fash". That tells us a great deal about the issues facing the coalition that is the Conservative and Unionist party.

This is a day when we should be laughing at her failure to attract support from her peers, partly because some see her as too "woke" and partly because some see her a too "fash". That tells us a great deal about the issues facing the coalition that is the Conservative and Unionist party.
Is "fash" fashionable or fascist?

Back
Top Bottom