Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing stupidity of Home Secretary Priti Patel

It gives her more time to go hunting for those missing 'g's' at the end of her words. They're probably down the back of a sofa.
There is no missing g. The ng is replaced with an n as it is for the majority of English speakers. Ng is a digraph representing a single phoneme. Only people from Yorkshire (and possibly a couple of bordering counties) actually pronounce a g there.

There is no missing g. The ng is replaced with an n as it is for the majority of English speakers. Ng is a digraph representing a single phoneme. Only people from Yorkshire (and possibly a couple of bordering counties) actually pronounce a g there.
Are you sure? I'm Sussex born and bred and I do the gs as does my Dalston born partner.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice(ing)

p s. Patel's gs missing or otherwise aren't the problem.

Are you sure? I'm Sussex born and bred and I do the gs as does my Dalston born partner.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice(ing)
I doubt it but there's always some weirdos. I used to do it as a kid cause my dad's from Bradford but my mates took the piss so I stopped. Do a vocaroo if you want.

Well I'm Essex born and if I say something like 'I'm going shopping ' I sound the g in going and shopping.

Well I'm Essex born and if I say something like 'I'm going shopping ' I sound the g in going and shopping.
I'm almost certain you pronounce a velar nasal ŋ rather than ŋ + g. If you do pronounce a hard g at the end then the words 'singer' and 'finger' would be a perfect rhyme for you (as they are in some northern dialects). Is this the case?

I'm almost certain you pronounce a velar nasal ŋ rather than ŋ + g. If you do pronounce a hard g at the end then the words 'singer' and 'finger' would be a perfect rhyme for you (as they are in some northern dialects). Is this the case?

The hard g ending is quite common in North London as well, presumably as a hypercorrection.

So, are you saying that there is no difference in the way that you would say "Hardin" or "Harding"?
No. I'm saying one ends in a voiced alveolar nasal (n) and one ends in a voiced velar nasal (ŋ/ng). Neither ends with a voiced velar stop (g) for the vast majority of English speakers and that the vast majority of speakers who would finish the latter with a voiced velar stop are from Yorkshire and surrounding counties.

No. I'm saying one ends in a voiced alveolar nasal (n) and one ends in a voiced velar nasal (ŋ/ng). Neither ends with a voiced velar stop (g) for the vast majority of English speakers and that the vast majority of speakers who would finish the latter with a voiced velar stop are from Yorkshire and surrounding counties.
And, when someone says "Hardin" instead of "Harding" is known as dropping the g, by most people.

No, you are wrong. When people say "dropping the g" they are not saying "dropping the "g" sound". You are confusing two different concepts.
That's not what posters on this thread said. They said they pronounce a 'hard' g at the end.

I speak with a Welsh accent now, having lived here for 45 years but I still sound my g's.

Doesn't everyone say singer and finger so that they rhyme with one another? :confused:

I'm baffled as to how they might be pronounced otherwise.

Doesn't everyone say singer and finger so that they rhyme with one another? :confused:

I'm baffled as to how they might be pronounced otherwise.
No, they don't. Most English speakers (including the whole of North America) would not sound the 'g' in singer but would in finger. However, it seems I'm a little wrong about exactly where they do rhyme. My dad, from Bradford, does it, but according to this map of ng-coalescence he probably got it from his mum (from Bolton, or it was different when he was born 80-odd years ago). It does put Manchester right in the uncoalesced ng area though which does stretch right down to Birmingham.

1725510851102.png

from Phonological history of English consonant clusters - Wikipedia

It rather annoyingly doesn't include Wales (Rebecca Riot , because I've never heard it in Essex) but seems to suggest they might in North Wales at least. I'm also intrigued by the idea that they do down in Margate and Herne Bay. Probably not a good enough reason for a day out there though.

Anyway, Priti Patel, what a cunt eh?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom