Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing stupidity of Home Secretary Priti Patel

Has anyone asked if Patel's ok recently? I'm concerned at the levels of self hatred involved, for a home secretary to enact immigration law which would have prevented her family from settling in the UK, then employing an overt white nationalist. It's like she's legislating any future versions of herself out of existence.

I mean I'm more than fine with that as an end goal, but there will be a fair number of present and future worthwhile human beings wiped out as collateral damage too and that does bother me.

Her Witham Essex constituency voters probably agree with everything she is doing. The Tories only need their voters to keep them in power & do not give a ff about anybody who does not vote for them. I would think most Tory voters are in broad agreement with the course of action taken by Priti Patel so not much will change. Are all Tory voters evil ? Ime of those that I know they are certainly racist although I’m sure most would deny it.

Her Witham Essex constituency voters probably agree with everything she is doing. The Tories only need their voters to keep them in power & do not give a ff about anybody who does not vote for them. I would think most Tory voters are in broad agreement with the course of action taken by Priti Patel so not much will change. Are all Tory voters evil ? Ime of those that I know they are certainly racist although I’m sure most would deny it.
Fortunately they are frequently elderly as well as racist so will shuffle off the mortal coil reasonably soon

How can a Home Secretary - or any MP - not resign or get the sack if they break the law in office?
Because we are in new territory. This is the Tory party in name only. The ones at the top anyway. Although the Tories have always been ok with law breaking if it suits their agenda. In the 80s there was an ongoing row about Sunday trading & I recall the big shops started pushing the interpretation of the law to it’s limit.

Fortunately they are frequently elderly as well as racist so will shuffle off the mortal coil reasonably soon
Not where I live unfortunately. There are plenty of 40 somethings that think like that & plenty will continue to vote Tory because their lives are sort of ok at the moment & worry that any change will upset their delicately balanced finances.

Because we are in new territory. This is the Tory party in name only. The ones at the top anyway. Although the Tories have always been ok with law breaking if it suits their agenda. In the 80s there was an ongoing row about Sunday trading & I recall the big shops started pushing the interpretation of the law to it’s limit.
This is true, but it's only happening because all the tory mps are going along with it. Like the spineless tory mps in the 80s let Thatcher do everything she did, and indeed cheered her on.

She should have resigned months ago. Well should never have got the post after being sacked by May but I bet she is fuming after Glasgow yesterday. :D

E1Rt3jYX0AMJG8G

In the last four elections she increase her share of the vote each time. It's not Patel the majority there are voting for. In that part of Essex my left bollock would win if it wore a blue rosette.
Surely it is her they are voting if her share of the vote rises, no?

Have there been any vox pops in the region? It's easy to assume they are all gammon bigots cheering on Patel living out their violent fantasies

Have there been any vox pops in the region? It's easy to assume they are all gammon bigots cheering on Patel living out their violent fantasies
Depressingly, I think a huge proportion of the population just isn't interested in who their MP is, or what they do (look at all the sex pest MPs that get re-elected). These people vote for a party - an idea - regardless of who that means they elect, or the consequences of doing so.

I suspect that a very large proportion of the population of Witham are completely uninterested in her beyond the fact that she's the Conservative candidate in their constituency. And I suspect she is equally uninterested in them.

Depressingly, I think a huge proportion of the population just isn't interested in who their MP is, or what they do (look at all the sex pest MPs that get re-elected). These people vote for a party - an idea - regardless of who that means they elect, or the consequences of doing so.

I suspect that a very large proportion of the population of Witham are completely uninterested in her beyond the fact that she's the Conservative candidate in their constituency. And I suspect she is equally uninterested in them.
I'd always assumed the active bulk of any such MPs vote comes from local gentry or self made business types. Those who, at the risk of assuming, like the direction she's taking and her cringeworthy authoritarianism.

First of all we all generalise when we try to analyse things like this. The FPTP system means a large portion of voters will not be represented in government, or indeed parliament.

I think Patel, and all the ministers who've survived the 2019 Johnson cull, a part of a wider product. The chief selling point of this product, the most apparently simple to understand, is that they are very pro-Brexit, and hence "fulfilling the will of people", or words to that effect which have been used constantly over the last five years.

As far as I know the only part of Essex which have threatened to return a non-Tory in recent years is Colchester. Clacton did briefly have Douglas Carswell for UKIP and then as an independent, but he'd defected from and was first elected as a Tory.

Back
Top Bottom