Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing stupidity of Home Secretary Priti Patel

Maybe in some (admittedly convoluted) way this lots shamelessness is a good thing, in that perhaps here in this country the illusion of politicians being responsible selfless public servants has lingered far too long, whereas most of the world know full well they live in kleptocracies. Maybe.
I fear most people will still be oblivious. Regardless, I’m not sure how anything will change for the better.

Cough, bullshit, cough...

At 7.12pm on 26 March 2021, the Home Office released a statement on Twitter which read: “It is wrong to claim the Home Office expenses that have been circulated today are the Home Secretary’s. They are department wide and for vital equipment like PPE. It is completely false to say the Home Office has spent money on beauty products, it was PPE. We make no apology for buying PPE to keep our staff safe during the pandemic. The spending in Primark was for asylum seekers who would have not had appropriate clothing when arriving in the UK. We are committed to delivering the best value for money for the British taxpayer, making sure every pound is spent in the most effective way.”

To be honest it's not much different to any other department's spending, and it probably was for PPE, you couldn't really spend that much on brows even if you wanted to. They have functions with catering, and take people out for drinks/dinner, and have away jollies for the staff just like any other employer. There were quite a few veterinary expenses listed in the last year which seemed a bit strange but then it is the Home Office, so they were probably for the pigs.

My feeling is that Patel, like the others in cabinet, don’t care how they come across as long as they get their way. Getting their way will have benefits to them. So, while they may not understand the impacts of their actions, it doesn’t matter to them. They are sly rather than stupid.
Patel is sly and stupid. She's just not quite as cunningly sly as she thinks she is.

To be honest it's not much different to any other department's spending, and it probably was for PPE, you couldn't really spend that much on brows even if you wanted to. They have functions with catering, and take people out for drinks/dinner, and have away jollies for the staff just like any other employer. There were quite a few veterinary expenses listed in the last year which seemed a bit strange but then it is the Home Office, so they were probably for the pigs.

Possibly. The restaurant though, £3700, even it were £100 a head that would be 37 people, which they are not taking out, twice. And £100 a head would be fairly excessive.

Possibly. The restaurant though, £3700, even it were £100 a head that would be 37 people, which they are not taking out, twice. And £100 a head would be fairly excessive.

Not that much to cater to a black tie event or something. I'm not defending it, just saying there's nothing particularly significant that fingers Patel over and above other departments. I get a bit pissed off with these shock horror Squawkbox/Byline/Canary stories that aren't really stories at all, they're just about generating traffic and retweets over doing some actual journalism and getting the story right. Not that anyone seems to care anymore.

Now called Global Beauty Products Limited, who can be found here: GLOBAL BEAUTY PRODUCTS LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

bbs.PNG

So Global Beauty Products was registered in 2015 yet beautiful Brows was dissolved in 2018. Why not just a name change?

So Global Beauty Products was registered in 2015 yet beautiful Brows was dissolved in 2018. Why not just a name change?

Because companies merge, rebrand, split off and play all kinds of games to dodge taxes and liabilities. It's not like government departments are going to investigate the history of every single business they might spend some money with, they just buy something and write down what it says on the credit card receipt.

It's not really plausible that Patel, or anyone in the Home Office spent that much on beauty treatments in the last year and decided to stick them all on the departmental credit card in the knowledge that would be publicly accessible and audited. It's equally unlikely that Patel is trying to squirrel money out of the Home Office by using the departmental card to send money to a fake company and doing it so badly that she got busted the first time some dastardly twitter sleuth looked at the publicly available records and caught her red-handed. I'm sure there is all kinds of low level corruption going on, there is wherever there's money, but people have got to do better than this because if there is a story there it's been undermined already by nonsense about her spending 70 grand on getting her brows done. And I bet she'd far rather people were talking about that then about whether she gave the nod for the police to kick peaceful protester's heads in last night.

Late to this particular bit,but ....
Byline times covering it.

... I had to check which Oxford pub it was, and ...

Byline Times said:
27 February: £900, The Magdalen Arms
This appears to be a pub in Oxford

... and then ...

Byline Times said:
While there is a very real difference between spending £15 billion on PPE and spending £900 at a posh pub in Oxford (that I’m sure was very nice), there does seem to be a general antipathy in Government towards journalists and activists who scrutinise its investments, and an air of impunity around the decisions that it takes.

And fairly nice the Magdalen is too, entirely food-focussed though now (beer ummentioned on their website :rolleyes: )

Beer choice only reasonable as I recall (and I've just newly researched, as we haven't been there for a while!)

BUT!!!
£900=???
For how many people?
Even in Oxford, that's up there in Bonkers College!! ... and the Magdalen is expensive, but not normally to that level .... :hmm:

(cheaper and better-beer OX pubs are also available, and we know em :D ;) )

Because companies merge, rebrand, split off and play all kinds of games to dodge taxes and liabilities. It's not like government departments are going to investigate the history of every single business they might spend some money with, they just buy something and write down what it says on the credit card receipt.

It's not really plausible that Patel, or anyone in the Home Office spent that much on beauty treatments in the last year and decided to stick them all on the departmental credit card in the knowledge that would be publicly accessible and audited. It's equally unlikely that Patel is trying to squirrel money out of the Home Office by using the departmental card to send money to a fake company and doing it so badly that she got busted the first time some dastardly twitter sleuth looked at the publicly available records and caught her red-handed. I'm sure there is all kinds of low level corruption going on, there is wherever there's money, but people have got to do better than this because if there is a story there it's been undermined already by nonsense about her spending 70 grand on getting her brows done. And I bet she'd far rather people were talking about that then about whether she gave the nod for the police to kick peaceful protester's heads in last night.

I feel exactly the same. Has everyone forgotten the panic buying last year? You couldn’t get soap or hand sanitizer or gloves anywhere and sex shops were giving their scrubs and gloves and hospital outfits to staff. Everyone was demanding that PPE was sourced right NOW, nobody was specifying it couldn’t come from a beauty company. I buy the Primark thing less, because I’ve seen loads of people who work with / are asylum seekers say this is total rubbish and they’ve never seen the Home Office provide stuff, but there’s always exceptional circumstances and it’s a tiny amount compared to the number of those subject to immigration control, so it would fit an exceptional circumstance. But ultimately, like you, it bothers me most we are talking about this and not other things. Under the newly proposed immigration bill, asylum seekers who arrive ‘illegally’ would be banned from making a claim. It’s absurd and it’s evil and it’s going to kill people. But far better to worry about Priti Patel’s eyebrows eh.

167438918_4193213914045095_1491022141369990281_n.jpg

Makes it sound like the staff that Pickman's Model used to highlight.accessing the corporate credit card for their Amazon Prime purchases.

Now here's a surprise

“Some of those people have already spoken to police, but I believe there are others who captured images and video of what happened. I need those people to contact us immediately.

“The information they have could prove vital in establishing the chain of events that has led to a young man losing his life.”

Sad story on its own but shows up Patel saying they don't want video evidence of police roughing people up. So they don't want video evidence of police violence but they do want video evidence elsewhere.

Now here's a surprise

Sad story on its own but shows up Patel saying they don't want video evidence of police roughing people up. So they don't want video evidence of police violence but they do want video evidence elsewhere.
"It's different when we do it"

Which could be this government's mantra. I wonder what it is in Latin?

Ah, here you go. "Est aliud quod nobis facere"

Bit of gold leaf and a crest or two, and they're sorted.

Back
Top Bottom