Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The most awkward bank holiday ever

I'll either

1. Lie in bed til mid-afternoon

or

2. Postpone a long drive home until the Monday when the motorways will be as empty as Christmas Day.

What a weird country we live in.

I'll either

1. Lie in bed til mid-afternoon

or

2. Postpone a long drive home until the Monday when the motorways will be as empty as Christmas Day.

What a weird country we live in.
I'd go for option 2. Mind you, I reckon a few boy racers might see it as an opportunity to see how fast their Audi can really go...

Last edited:
I'd go for option 2. Mind you, I reckon a few boy races might see it as an opportunity to see how fast their Audi can really go...
The temptation to try out some empty road used to get to people round my way occasionally in lockdown. Total silence, no people anywhere and then out of nowhere 2 guys on bikes fly by doing a ton.

It's going to be awks, right?

We're supposed to have the day off to mourn, but I can't imagine even people who are vaguely in favour of the monarchy are really going to want to sit indoors watching the funeral when they've got a bonus day off are they?

The jubilee was awkward but at least going to the pub, seeing friends etc was a legitimate activity.
Weirdly this is exactly what my wife and daughter plan to do (with snacks and jim jams, as if it's a sleepover die hard tv marathon). I suggested a walk in the woods. . . Hard NO.

The temptation to try out some empty road used to get to people round my way occasionally in lockdown. Total silence, no people anywhere and then out of nowhere 2 guys on bikes fly by doing a ton.
There's a certain sort of biker who wouldn't want to miss this opportunity. Usually they get up at 6 am on Sundays for it.

Cineworld has also said it will close all of its UK cinemas on the day of the state funeral. The company has 128 cinemas in the UK and Ireland.
Other major businesses that have already said they will be shut in the UK on Monday include:
  • Aldi
  • Argos
  • Asda
  • B&Q
  • Blue Diamond Garden Centres
  • Center Parcs
  • Curry's
  • Dobbies Garden Centres
  • Harrods
  • Holland & Barrett
  • Homebase
  • Ikea
  • John Lewis
  • Lidl
  • Morrisons
  • Odeon cinemas
  • Pets at Home
  • Primark
  • Sainsbury's (however, Sainsbury's convenience stores and petrol filling stations will be open from 17:00 until 22:00 while select stores in central London will open to serve people attending the funeral)
  • Larger Tesco shops (the company's smaller Express shops will open at 17:00, but a small number of stores in central London and Windsor will remain open throughout the day to provide for people attending the funeral)
  • Waitrose (a small number of Waitrose stores along the route of the procession may remain open)
  • WH Smith high street stores (the company's travel stores will be closed at least for the duration of the funeral)
  • Wilko

According to the beeb

The couple of guys in my team who want time off for that funeral are getting it and I'll sort out the ££ / leave records later.
The other couple of guys who aren't interested are coming in to do a couple of jobs that will go better with an almost empty workshop.

And the last one leaves on Friday, so their opinion don't count.

The thing that really, genuinely, gets me fucking angry, is that this isn't about 'mourning', its about massive multinationals being too tight to pay their staff bank holiday pay.
Mackie Dees do normally stay open on bank holidays (christmas day excepted). I suspect their bean counters would have wanted to open up as normal but the PR people were terrified of "disrespectful mcdonalds opens during the funeral" stories in the sun/mail.

Back
Top Bottom