Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The most awkward bank holiday ever

are the supermarkets open? i'd catch up on grocery shopping. stores are so crowded on weekends...

It's the UK, expect the supermarket to be fucking rammed on the Saturday and Sunday lest shoppers can't buy anything on the one day it's closed and rammed on Monday when they tromp out to buy a milk or whatever else they forgot

Waitrose closing too I think, it’ll be all of them.

Lots of people unable to work but won’t get paid and the ones with kids having to pay for nurseries that aren’t open.

Cunts.

Waitrose closing too I think, it’ll be all of them.

Lots of people unable to work but won’t get paid and the ones with kids having to pay for nurseries that aren’t open.

Cunts.
just had a look, most main supermarkets seem to be closing for four hours over the funeral, but open the rest of the day - the smaller convenience versions seem to be open as usual. Waitrose and Aldi are closing all day.

Depends if anything is open. :(

Is there any expectation everywhere is going to be closed? Can't imagine that many shops / pubs / etc will be very keen on losing a day's business

are the supermarkets open? i'd catch up on grocery shopping. stores are so crowded on weekends...

Looks like several chains are shutting up that day so not a normal bank holiday.

Still will have house of the dragon to watch in the morning :cool: they didn't cancel this weeks. Was a bit worried they might cancel it cos the king dies in the episode or something :D (no spoiler rage - just cos i said that doesn't mean he does die this week)

Guess i can find some other stuff to watch on netflix or prime afterwards.

I'm cranking up some drum and bass, patio doors open. Any neighbours secretly thinking "what the fuck is all this mandated misery" can consider it an invitation. Any who get offended can, with all due respect, fuck the fuck off then fuck off some more. The joyless forelock tugging arseholes.

I have got a hospital appointment that day and no-one has told me that it is cancelled. So it looks like the NHS is business as usual.

I'm torn. I'm usually pretty militant about getting my bank holidays off but now I'm wondering if I go into work instead for this one

some travel advice -

outside london, looks like most bus operators are going to run sunday service (or not run, if they don't usually run on sundays) - some haven't made their minds up yet, and some who have made a decision have not updated their websites yet.

bus info on things like traveline may be incorrect, and third party things like google maps bus information usually takes weeks rather than days to update, so may well be wrong on the day.

in london, the westminster patch is going to have road closures overnight every night this week, and then from sunday afternoon to early hours of monday night / tuesday morning - this will louse up national express and green line coaches in and out of victoria (understand victoria coach station will be closed for the monday, although in practice that may mean from some time sunday evening) and a lot of bus routes that go in to westminster are going to be diverted or stop short of normal destinations.

TFL travel advice page here.

i'm not quite sure the railways know what they are going to be doing yet, more here.

All the supermarkets will be closed, the express type ones mostly closed until 5pm. Except for central London. No signs that pubs will close though, the kick off is at 11 so some may delay opening until it’s done (around 1-ish?) other will just be open. Shall go for a morning bike ride, maybe watch a bit of the goings on then head to my local for a few jars…

I think the tricky thing is that if you go to the pub they might have the funeral on.

But how long can that possibly go on for?

I reckon there's a good chance pubs will be nice and quiet, as they were this weekend. Might take advantage of that myself. Just have to pick the proper old fashioned boozers with no TV screens.

Back
Top Bottom