Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ever had a negative reaction to a political T-shirt?

I saw a lad once wearing a leather biker jacket with a Southern Confederate flag on the back of it. He was black, I think someone wasn't paying attention during history classes
That's assuming that the US Civil War was ever mentioned in school history classes.

oh, it was.

that's not the only black confederate I've heard of either.

It wouldn't surprise me. There's a hell of a lot of ignorance of history out there in my experience. Also the Confederate flag was allowed to morph into this general symbol of rebellion without all the unpleasantness it was really associated with.

They’re all a bit naff tbf. A lot naff tbh
I wore some political T-shirts in my teens when my beliefs were a bit more black and white (CND, Solidarnosc, Smoke the Russians out of Afghanistan, etc.) which resulted in some police hassle. Older me is less comfortable reducing my public persona to a slogan when I’d like to think I’m a bit more than just my political leanings. I suppose it depends on the reaction you’re looking for in other people - a Fight? Discussion? Romance? - and the context. It doesn’t help that one person I know who wears his supposedly radical left stance on his chest and calls people “comrade” is a BTL landlord with half a dozen properties but he doesn’t tend to advertise that part of him.

'I was drugged by Doctor Death' never raised an eyebrow but fuck me, the absolute grief I got for wearing a red splotched T.shirt with 'menstruating' across the front (screen printed by me). I kept the original print on my mantlepiece for a while and noticed that several times, various (male) visitors actually turned the print to face the wall!

'I was drugged by Doctor Death' never raised an eyebrow but fuck me, the absolute grief I got for wearing a red splotched T.shirt with 'menstruating' across the front (screen printed by me). I kept the original print on my mantlepiece for a while and noticed that several times, various (male) visitors actually turned the print to face the wall!

No one would probably bat an eyelid these days.

Yeah, used to have one with the legend 'Suicide Bomber' on it, was under a jumper as I flew to Amsterdam, had to run for the flight and after I sat down was hot and took the jumper off, stewardess saw it and said it was disgusting and refused to give me a drink. This was late September 2001.
How is a the legend "suicide bomber" on a tee-shirt a political message? What is the message it is intended to convey?

Too old for this kind of thing really, but back in the day I’d have liked to have worn a T-shirt with ‘Nothing is obvious’ as the slogan.

I’d have expected you to go with “more lethal spiders”.

Not had a reaction to t-shirts but on a few occasions people have got a bit weird about the SS uniform.
Great to have you on the board Harry.

I wore some political T-shirts in my teens when my beliefs were a bit more black and white (CND, Solidarnosc, Smoke the Russians out of Afghanistan, etc.) which resulted in some police hassle. Older me is less comfortable reducing my public persona to a slogan when I’d like to think I’m a bit more than just my political leanings. I suppose it depends on the reaction you’re looking for in other people - a Fight? Discussion? Romance? - and the context. It doesn’t help that one person I know who wears his supposedly radical left stance on his chest and calls people “comrade” is a BTL landlord with half a dozen properties but he doesn’t tend to advertise that part of him.
That’s kinda my thinking on it too. Though i guess we shouldn’t be too snobby about young people being earnest

How is a the legend "suicide bomber" on a tee-shirt a political message? What is the message it is intended to convey?

Fuck knows, was nearly a quarter of a century ago, a time when I never went more than about five days without doing tons of mdma and ket, so memory can be a bit sketchy.

Possibly something along similar lines as to why Green Day wrote American Idiot..?

Precisely because of the silence, the isolation, the fucking shame which women have been made to feel about this entirely natural and normal function. And yes, attitudes just like yours, Spy.

It's like making a statement about pollution by walking around with a turd on your head :D

I was harangued by a group of people who were probably plain clothes filth for wearing a 'MuckDonalds Murderburgers' t-shirt at Reading Festival in about 1991. They told me that the money from them funded the IRA. I told them that was fine with me and I might buy another couple.

I’ve had a couple of people clock my jacket with my union logo on it and make a comment. In a friendly but not particularly supportive way.
I have a Red Action Voice of Reason T-shirt that I’ve never really worn out in the wild.
I don’t think anyone knows what my IWCA beanie is about.

I was harangued by a group of people who were probably plain clothes filth for wearing a 'MuckDonalds Murderburgers' t-shirt at Reading Festival in about 1991. They told me that the money from them funded the IRA. I told them that was fine with me and I might buy another couple.
Sounds more like fash or ‘patriots’ than cops.

In the last 12 months, have got a lot more side eye from wearing the first one than I have from wearing the second

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_232014_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_232014_Chrome.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20240309_232203_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_232203_Chrome.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom