Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The most awkward bank holiday ever

Mackie Dees do normally stay open on bank holidays (christmas day excepted). I suspect their bean counters would have wanted to open up as normal but the PR people were terrified of "disrespectful mcdonalds opens during the funeral" stories in the sun/mail.
It's also the knock-on of everything else being closed. If no-one is shopping, going to the cinema etc, and half the country won't even be leaving their homes, how is it going to be worth opening a McDonald's?

I’m sort of feeling it for the poor devils who booked Centre Parcs for the week
I’ve only been to a Centre Parcs once and by the end of the week the thought of one more perfectly pleasant middle class family on bikes saying good morning to me was making me twitch

But fair play, it’s bloody expensive. And first they were told the Parcs would be closed on Monday so if they’d booked to stay on Monday as part of their holiday, they’d have to find somewhere else to stay that night!

Then they were told the Parcs would stay open but they had to stay in their cabins 😨

And now they’re allowed out of their cabins, but no facilities available, 17% refund 🤷‍♀️

But fair play, it’s bloody expensive.

Is it really? Personally I prefer to get as far away as possible from other people enjoying themselves when I'm on holiday, so I've never paid Centre Parcs any attention, but I guess I assumed people liked it because it was cheap and had stuff on for the kids. Like a modern-day Butlins. If it's not even cheap, it's hard to see what the appeal is.

The way to have a cheaper centre parcs experience is to go to the ones in Belgium and Netherlands outside of their school holidays which don’t always overlap with the UK ones.

Is it really? Personally I prefer to get as far away as possible from other people enjoying themselves when I'm on holiday, so I've never paid Centre Parcs any attention, but I guess I assumed people liked it because it was cheap and had stuff on for the kids. Like a modern-day Butlins. If it's not even cheap, it's hard to see what the appeal is.

I’ve always been curious about it and a middle class retreat to the wood does sound tempting with archery and biking and such but it’s also got other people in the ‘village’ so it’s not something I’ve looked into. Just sometimes wondered about via the adverts

The way to have a cheaper centre parcs experience is to go to the ones in Belgium and Netherlands outside of their school holidays which don’t always overlap with the UK ones.
If your leaving the country anyway, is it cheaper than a cheap package tour in spain? :hmm:

We've been twice once to Elveden Forest in 1997, on our first full day there, the People's Princess carked it in Paris though it didn't affect our hols . We went to Whinfell Forest in 2000 taking Mrs Q parents with us though at the time it wasn't owned by Centre Parcs but a separate company called Oasis. Sadly no royalty were harmed during our visit there.

I don't think my employer is shutting down. They don't acknowledge bank holidays (one of those 30 days annual leave, book off bank holidays if you want gigs)

I'd rather be working on Monday anyway, otherwise I'd implicitly be treating the monarchy as something more than trade envoys and tourists attractions.

We're not closing. Hoping we might get a bit of peace and quiet to get through some of our insane queue of repair jobs without the door or the phone going every few minutes as is happening presently.

Butlins is for the peasants, Centre Parc for the posh. 4 nights self catering 2 adults, 2 kids 17th October £999. And you have to pay extra for activities, bike hire etc. it’s all incredibly wholesome….

i'll tell you who's doing very nicely out of this, a team from lancashire constabulary who are being put up at the double tree hilton hotel in the angel, maybe 15 or so of them - saw two carriers and a range rover outside. i wonder who's footing the bill for that, the unhappy denizens of lancs or the unfortunate residents of london

I don't think my employer is shutting down. They don't acknowledge bank holidays (one of those 30 days annual leave, book off bank holidays if you want gigs)

I'd rather be working on Monday anyway, otherwise I'd implicitly be treating the monarchy as something more than trade envoys and tourists attractions.
they are something more than trade envoys and tourist attractions. you just don't pay enough attention.

i'll tell you who's doing very nicely out of this, a team from lancashire constabulary who are being put up at the double tree hilton hotel in the angel, maybe 15 or so of them - saw two carriers and a range rover outside. i wonder who's footing the bill for that, the unhappy denizens of lancs or the unfortunate residents of london
Probably all UK taxpayers, Lancs will pay the officers' salary, overtime and massive £3.27 overnight allowance plus diesel for the vans and a bit for overheads (Airwave contract, vehicle depreciation Lancs payroll etc). They will reclaim it from the MPS who will probably get a grant from the Home Office (in about three years) to cover some of it. So you personally are paying, via hypothecation if you like, for any Lancs cops' Bailey's and creme de-menthes every night... I am sure they are very grateful...

And they’ll each have got a free cookie when they checked in, which is a doubletree brand standard :)

Jfc so my Trust rota coordinator just emailed telling me that I was on call for the Mortuary Bank Hol ‘because I was on call until 9am on the Monday and from 5pm on the Monday’. Umm no, that’s my time to sleep??

But I replied yes that’s fine assuming I get BH rates.

She then rung me up to tell me that no it would be day rate and implied I shouldn’t be aiming to capitalise off the Queens death :D

So I said no quite right, I’ll take my holiday and sleep and watch the funeral to PAY MY RESPECTS instead and you can find someone else to cover paeds 9-5.

She’s now checking with finance that they’ll pay BH rates. I mean wtf I think I should argue for BH rates 9-9 and consider 9-5 bloody tight fisted. Absolute jokers.

Back
Top Bottom