Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The League One Thread 2023-24

:)

reading fans have made a fairly hefty donation to a statue fund at the port vale ground, after the abandoned match last weekend.

at charlton, michael appleton has been sacked (some sources) / is about to be sacked (other sources) / hasn't been sacked (other sources still)

it's all a bloody shambles.

We can’t keep sacking managers to solve club’s ‘cultural issues’ says Charlton boss Ben Garner

(South London Press, December 2022)

Isn't the Appleton rumour just due to someone resurrecting a thread on Charlton Life? An old thread where we would laugh at how this bloke would keep getting jobs despite being useless at the expense of untried young managers? 🥲

Isn't the Appleton rumour just due to someone resurrecting a thread on Charlton Life? An old thread where we would laugh at how this bloke would keep getting jobs despite being useless at the expense of untried young managers? 🥲

Yes, an old thread was revived a few days ago, but there was 'serious and credible' information to someone 'in the know' on a certain other forum yesterday evening.

:facepalm:

today's press conference sounds interesting - manager saying

“There has been a lot of stuff which has been said, at the minute, which doesn’t belong in the game – a lot of personal stuff. I find it hard to believe that they would say that to my face, because it might be a different scenario.”

various comments circulating that he'd have to take his hands out of his pockets if he is asking for a fight...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Just had a look at the form tables.

Last 6 games
Charlton 2nd bottom, 1 point from 6 games? Blimey.
Reading 7th (!), 11 points from 6. Blimey.

not in the south london yet, but will this (from 2022) do?
You think Charlton have "cultural issues"? when Reading are in the mess we are in?
tbh, we couldn't afford to sack the manager when he really was rubbish earlier in the season, and it seems he is now getting it together. Derby would have gone second if they'd beaten us, but we won 1-0. Seems the players are committed.
Plus we seem to have reached a point where the league recognise that there is bugger all point in issuing more points deductions. So we might stay up?

It's the hope that kills.

1707258514850.png

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Be good to see Charlton turning a corner tbh. Astonished at how bad they've been this season. Maybe the squad isn't a top six squad, but it should be nowhere near the relegation places, either.

i'm sure i heard the commentator earlier saying something like 'that was good defending from charlton'

i don't think i've heard that for a year or two

(posted from behind the sofa waiting for a 3-1 lead to slip away in injury time)

Yeah, nice one Charlton. I think you'll be safe, despite the recent scary times.

Reading? Hard to say. Another 2 point penalty. 2 more points suspended that will doubtless be deducted before the season ends. Which all seems to be pulling the team together, 3-2 home defeat against Shrewsbury excluded.

You're 5th (!) on form over 6 games, we are 7th. You'd like to think that on that basis we'll both be on this thread next season.

Plus both teams have goal difference worth half a point compared to other relegation candidates.

Back
Top Bottom