Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The championship thread 2023/24

Plymouth have just lost manager Steven Schumacher to Stoke City. Bit of a worrying time for Argyle fans now with the team hovering just above the drop zone. Schumacher has helped us punch above our weight and if we don't get a decent replacement it feels like we could be heading straight back down.

First away win of the season. Maybe we’re not quite doomed yet …

Having watched the last few games I'd now honestly put us to finish low-mid-table.

Rohl looks a good manager in the making, depends how long we hold onto him and what kind of support he's provided by the higher ups in January.

The turnaround so far is impressive - some clubs above losing their nerve and I would have preferred it if Rooney had stayed in charge at Birmingham. But we're giving ourselves a chance, although as ever I get that creeping feeling that its the hope that kills you .....

Ah well everyone, look on the bright side - at least you're not Blues! Wayne Rooney's tenure was short and not very sweet, but who's next for a huge payoff? I would love Steve Cooper or Ralph Hussenhatl but it's unlikely alas. Would'nt mind Tony Mowbray either. Frontrunners for the job seem to be Lee Carsley, Jesse Marsch and somewhat worryingly, Scott Parker!

Ah well everyone, look on the bright side - at least you're not Blues! Wayne Rooney's tenure was short and not very sweet, but who's next for a huge payoff? I would love Steve Cooper or Ralph Hussenhatl but it's unlikely alas. Would'nt mind Tony Mowbray either. Frontrunners for the job seem to be Lee Carsley, Jesse Marsch and somewhat worryingly, Scott Parker!
I hope you get Cooper and not Yank Lampard. Why Birmingham sacked Eustace and replaced him with Rooney is beyond me. It's like when our genius chairman shitcanned Moore despite him getting us promoted and replaced him with Xisco, a total noob. At least Rohl has turned things around a bit and I'm SLIGHTLY more confident we'll stay up.

Seems Reading have decided to stave off relegation by selling any players we can in the January window, just as it looked like we might be getting a functioning football team together. Manager and director of football had no idea this was happening apparently.

Hob Nob Anyone? is all doom and gloom, with fans on twitter saying there's no point in buying tickets for future games as we will be out of business before the games happen.

How was our owner ever allowed to buy the club? This will be the third football club he has destroyed.

Reading v Port Vale abandoned due to a pitch invasion.

Last time I invaded the pitch in a protest it was against Port Vale, at Elm Park. On that occasion, we waited until after the game had finished.

Seems Reading have decided to stave off relegation by selling any players we can in the January window, just as it looked like we might be getting a functioning football team together. Manager and director of football had no idea this was happening apparently.

Hob Nob Anyone? is all doom and gloom, with fans on twitter saying there's no point in buying tickets for future games as we will be out of business before the games happen.

How was our owner ever allowed to buy the club? This will be the third football club he has destroyed.
I hadn't even registered what was going on but fucking hell! The club was spending 245% of its income on wages? What the fuck? That's crazy.

Yongge is a nightmare. He makes Chansiri look competent. I'm not a fan of pitch invasions but honestly? I don't blame Reading fans one bit. And it was very sweet of them to crowdfund the John Rudge tribute.

well its heating up in the race for the second automatic promo spot. Leeds, southhampton and ispwich all within a couple of points of each other.
The saints incredible run nearly came unstuck against huddersfield where they managed to come back from losing and won 5-3. but then they got thumped 3-1 by bristol city - so suddenly leaking goals. At the same time leeds are on fire having won 7 on the bounce and only conceeded 1 goal.
Ipswich have had a brilliant first half of season - but form has gone somwhat south since christmas.
Youd expect the stronger squads of southhampton and leeds will start to tell and it will see them stuggle to keep up
But - still some way to go 14/15 games.
Last day of the season - Leeds vs Southampton at Elland Road - id say the chances of them still being within 2 or 3 points of each other and it being a "winner takes all" situation are very high.

Leeds look faves - but only narrowly. MOT -

table 15 feb.JPG

Last edited:
Just got back from watching Wednesday earn a good win at millwall. We were worth it, although Millwall were poor to say the least.

We’re not dead yet anyway

Frustrating that pretty much all our relegation rivals also managed to win on Saturday, but Wednesday are putting up a fight. It could be an interesting end to the season

All kind of congested around the relegation zone now. Wednesday are now level with three other sides on 38 points and within 2 points of 16th - not bad given we were 9 points off safety a month ago. There'll be a few more twists and turns to come yet - but bring on dirty Leeds on Friday.

Watching QPR against WBA. A good game, but all the Albion players appear to be called Mr Vegas, this could be confusing.

An exciting month and a bit to go! The top is tight, the bottom (other than Rotherham) is even tighter. 3 points between 7 teams all trying to stay up. Gonna be a lot of leap frogging and nail biting I reckon.

Hopefully just up for us now Harris is back :hmm:

All kind of congested around the relegation zone now. Wednesday are now level with three other sides on 38 points and within 2 points of 16th - not bad given we were 9 points off safety a month ago. There'll be a few more twists and turns to come yet - but bring on dirty Leeds on Friday.
And we've got Ipswich tomorrow. It's so frustrating because we've managed to claw back quite a few points but we're still 23rd because of our shitty goal difference.

Beadle is love and I will miss him when he goes back to Brighton.

wish ipswch would fuck off. theyve supposed to have faded away by now - seems nobodies told them though. still - top of the league!! MOT

wish ipswch would fuck off. theyve supposed to have faded away by now - seems nobodies told them though. still - top of the league!! MOT
We aint giving up mate. Little blip at christmas but we are hot on your heels (assuming you are Leeds). There's slip ups ahead for everyone though. It's the championship.

Leicester could even get a points deduction leaving Leeds and Ipswich the top two? Leicester breached financial rules

Hoping for QPR to either win or draw, Huddersfield to lose and us to beat Swansea so we can climb out of relegation purgatory.

This is one of those times where a draw feels like a loss. FFS, Wednesday.

How big does the gap between us and Rotherham have to be for them to be officially relegated?

Just keeps getting better for Ipswich. Grinding out 1-nil wins whilst those around us drop points. Just fucking brilliant.

It’s all very interesting isn’t it. Every time I think Wednesday are goners they pull something out of the bag. Slightly fortunate against QPR I’d say but we’re still in it. And millwall now dragged back in the mix

The Wednesday giveth, the Wednesday taketh away.

ETA: came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. I wish we'd won but honestly, I'm just glad we didn't shit the bed this time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom