Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The League One Thread 2023-24

He was a good source of entertainment on our forums. The guitar stuff was funny. Embarrassing dad moment springs to mind :)

to be honest, he was a certain amount of entertainment on ours.

he at least meant well, which is more than be said for the rat...

to be honest, he was a certain amount of entertainment on ours.

he at least meant well
I suppose he did but these characters can also do a lot of harm to clubs too! For all the piss taking and rivalary i would never want to see a club go bust because of some egotistical chancer.

very nearly a large scale :facepalm: this evening

i tend to worry if charlton go one up too early in the game, as it usually means there's plenty of time to lose.

but coming close to throwing away a 3-0 lead...

from the club shop

crappy charlton christmas jumper

only 45 nicker a go.

:facepalm:

i can feel another meh coming on

and :eek: at reading.

although don't think it's involved (plastic toy) pigs yet

pigs.png

(from 2016 - explanation here.)

Last edited:
I just posted about Reading on the Championship thread. I am clearly in a state of denial about this whole thing.

The last time I took part in a protest pitch invasion it was also against Port Vale, but we waited until the game was over.

This is it, I reckon. Fines/games behind closed doors, coupled with the fire sale of players going on will kill the club off.
Founded 1871. The oldest league club south of banks of the Trent.

I just posted about Reading on the Championship thread. I am clearly in a state of denial about this whole thing.

The last time I took part in a protest pitch invasion it was also against Port Vale, but we waited until the game was over.

This is it, I reckon. Fines/games behind closed doors, coupled with the fire sale of players going on will kill the club off.
Founded 1871. The oldest league club south of banks of the Trent.
Can see another points deduction coming

Also I heard on talk sport that reading have all sorts of problems off the field including the main sponsor paying club staff and players wages for November

Can see another points deduction coming

Also I heard on talk sport that reading have all sorts of problems off the field including the main sponsor paying club staff and players wages for November
Oh yes.

The club are trying to sell two players to Luton. The players don't want to know and the manager and director of football didn't even know about it.

Current view amongst fans is that the club won't last till easter.

Oh yes.

The club are trying to sell two players to Luton. The players don't want to know and the manager and director of football didn't even know about it.

Current view amongst fans is that the club won't last till easter.
Probably explains why the club sponsor is paying the wages?

Has club sponsor ever done that before?

Probably explains why the club sponsor is paying the wages?

Has club sponsor ever done that before?
We've paid wages late more than once. I think the sponsor took pity on the admin/support staff not getting paid before xmas.

Modern football is rubbish. So many shysters buying football clubs. All the best to Reading and others, Luton gives us all some hope.

Modern football is rubbish. So many shysters buying football clubs. All the best to Reading and others, Luton gives us all some hope.
Some callers on talksport think reading need to go into administration to save the club or they will go bust

Some callers on talksport think reading need to go into administration to save the club or they will go bust
I assume they're meaning that going into administration is better than going into liquidation.

But doesn't going into admin mean we get thrown out of the league? In which case what do we do? Merge with Reading City and work our way up from the Combined Counties League?

It's pretty grim, whatever happens.

I assume they're meaning that going into administration is better than going into liquidation.

But doesn't going into admin mean we get thrown out of the league? In which case what do we do? Merge with Reading City and work our way up from the Combined Counties League?

It's pretty grim, whatever happens.

not the way i understand it - going in to administration means a 10 point deduction (e.g. portsmouth) but think that's a bit less drastic than liquidation which (if i understand it right) means the club would cease to exist.

not the way i understand it - going in to administration means a 10 point deduction (e.g. portsmouth) but think that's a bit less drastic than liquidation which (if i understand it right) means the club would cease to exist.
OK, we're likely to get relegated anyway, so a 10 point penalty would just confirm it. I started watching Reading in Division 4 - it wouldn't kill me to watch division 4 football again.

Thinking about it, if that is the case, then a buyer could buy us out of admin, from the administrator, rather than having to pay Dai Yongge anything, which would make it easier and cheaper.

Every cloud, and all that.

Absolutely. But once Reading were the team that gave others hope - we did 3 seasons in the Prem, finishing 8th the first time.

Much as I seriously grieve the state Reading are in at the moment, I've been going to Winchester City for 10 years now, and seen us rise from Wessex Premier to Southern Premier. It's been good. Call me a glory hunter!

There's an article from 'the athletic' about football and going in to administration here

derby and coventry have done it relatively recently as well

I read an article about Reading on The Athletic after the protest on Saturday, feels like they are in free-fall with a gives-no-fucks owner.

As already mentioned it talks of the sponsors (car-leasing company) paying player wages for two separate months (already been fined for that, next deadline to have plan in place has just passed so further fine may be due?), six figure debt to catering company leading to players eating microwaved meals, people working at desk wearing coats due to heating issues, club already "barred from spending any money on transfer fees until the summer of 2025 — and even loans or free agents are not expected to be sanctioned without significant money coming in". A hearing takes place next month about money owed to HMRC, this was following referral in November - and the next HMRC bill is due in a week. They must be selling players this window which surely guarantees relegation, especially after losing coaching staff this week and firing academy staff at Christmas.

I followed the Derby saga quite a bit (from the area, take brother/took brothers to a few matches a season) and it really felt like touch and go for a while, even after going into administration. The Reading situation feels much more precarious.

Is there any knowledgeable opinion on why the owner has acted like this?

Back
Top Bottom