Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The grand tory 'civil war' thread

Parris' attack is pretty devastating. Its an articulate, insightful, detailed and highly convincing argument setting out with forensic skill exactly why Boris is an utterly despicable cunt.

TBH I thought Steve Hilton's was better - Parris' was clearly intended to be portrayed as a savage attack against a major figure, but Hilton basically just summed his legacy as Mayor up as essentially nothing, and I think that would probably damage Boris a lot more.

Here's a stand out paragraph from that article.
In an interview filmed just last week for Boris: the London Years, which will be broadcast at 7.30pm‬ on BBC1, Hilton says: “If I recall, the idea of Boris running for Mayor of London didn’t actually come from our ranks in the Conservative party’s leadership, it actually came from the then editor of the Evening Standard who thought he would be a great standard bearer for the party in London and be a great mayor.

The Ailing Standard's campaign was unremittingly anti-Livingstone, but talked up Bozza's affability while obscuring his lack of substance. If anything, Bozza is a consummate postmodern politician and the weak-minded fall for him every time because all they can see is the buffoon and not the racist, sexist narcissist that he truly is.

The Brexit campaign group backed by the justice secretary, Michael Gove, is trying to persuade senior NHS staff to sign a letter that includes a direct attack on David Cameron, who is accused of having “starved” the health service of funding.

In an email leaked to the Guardian, Vote Leave’s Cleo Watson tells clinicians that her group “desperately needs” doctors, nurses and pharmacists to warn that Britain’s health service is being damaged by the EU.

A draft version of the letter included by Watson says: “David Cameron and Jeremy Hunt must accept responsibility for this – they have starved the NHS of necessary funding for too long.”
Senior Tory Brexit group issues letter to NHS staff attacking PM

lol

Would that be the same NHS that would collapse without all the evil foreign immigrant nurses, doctors, technicians etc?

PETER OBORNE: The Tories' 30-year civil war is to reach bloody climax

I can’t say exactly how, but I feel certain the attempted destruction of Osborne by IDS somehow brought about Parris’s reprisal attack on Johnson. That is how civil wars work. Something elemental and very dark is going on here, and there’s a great deal more to come.
Much of it has been planned. At the height of last year’s election campaign, I was summoned to visit a famous and extremely influential Conservative politician. We sat together for about an hour as he set out plans to purge the Party after the election was over.

He wanted the Tories to move to the centre of the political spectrum and get rid of the Right-wing elements which, in his view, had dominated for so long. No names were provided, but it doesn’t take a genius to guess who he meant: IDS, former environment minister Owen Paterson, Bill Cash, ex-Defence secretary Liam Fox, and so on.

Now, this project is well under way. If the referendum is won by the PM’s Remain campaign, expect a Cabinet reshuffle for starters. With the exception of Michael Gove, Right-wingers will be sacked. A serious attempt will be made to bring the Blairite wing of Labour — such as former shadow ministers Tristram Hunt and Rachel Reeves — across the floor to Mr Cameron’s modernised Tories.

PETER OBORNE: The Tories' 30-year civil war is to reach bloody climax

I can’t say exactly how, but I feel certain the attempted destruction of Osborne by IDS somehow brought about Parris’s reprisal attack on Johnson. That is how civil wars work. Something elemental and very dark is going on here, and there’s a great deal more to come.
Much of it has been planned. At the height of last year’s election campaign, I was summoned to visit a famous and extremely influential Conservative politician. We sat together for about an hour as he set out plans to purge the Party after the election was over.

He wanted the Tories to move to the centre of the political spectrum and get rid of the Right-wing elements which, in his view, had dominated for so long. No names were provided, but it doesn’t take a genius to guess who he meant: IDS, former environment minister Owen Paterson, Bill Cash, ex-Defence secretary Liam Fox, and so on.

Now, this project is well under way. If the referendum is won by the PM’s Remain campaign, expect a Cabinet reshuffle for starters. With the exception of Michael Gove, Right-wingers will be sacked. A serious attempt will be made to bring the Blairite wing of Labour — such as former shadow ministers Tristram Hunt and Rachel Reeves — across the floor to Mr Cameron’s modernised Tories.

Er, Every Tory but one, Heidi Allen voted for the ESA cuts.

Er, Every Tory but one, Heidi Allen voted for the ESA cuts.
not on principle, by implication here. For party discipline and following what is seen as necessary, Technocracy over ideology or however you want to put it. Their horrifying 'pragmatism'

I think we could have another general election post the vote , whichever way it goes. Remain, Cameron may decide to go 'at the top' followed by leadership war and new leader craving legitimacy. Leave , Cameron has to go , same thing follows.

I think we could have another general election post the vote , whichever way it goes.
Leaving aside the question of why a government would choose to go to the polls when it's got serious problems, how can we have a GE after the referendum? Are you suggesting that the Tory party will put forward a vote in no confidence in itself? Or that enough Tory MPs will defect to allow the opposition parties to win a vote of no confidence?

Sorry but this is fantasy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom