Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dubious journalism of the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg

she's not though is she - she's credulously repeating what she's been told by some politicians who're lying or breaking the law (almost certainly the first)
Or basing their statements on what postal voters have told them about their intentions. We all get asked how we will vote so the parties can get a good idea of how many votes they’ve got and who to chase up on the day.

maybe they’re boasting about how many postal voters have said they’re voting Tory.

although I don’t want to defend LK anymore - I used to, but not recently!

Or basing their statements on what postal voters have told them about their intentions. We all get asked how we will vote so the parties can get a good idea of how many votes they’ve got and who to chase up on the day.

maybe they’re boasting about how many postal voters have said they’re voting Tory.

although I don’t want to defend LK anymore - I used to, but not recently!
Don’t think so...she was dribbling out the tittle tattle she’d been fed from her senior contacts.

Well in with the Unionist elite, this reporter for the British state media:

Her maternal grandfather was the Scottish high court judge Lord Robertson and his brother Sir James Wilson Robertson was the last British Governor-General of Nigeria. Her older brother David is executive director of finance and resources at Brighton and Hove City Council.[7] Her older sister Joanna Kuenssberg is a diplomat, and a former high commissioner to Mozambique.[6]
Someone on Twitter said recently something along the lines of "Whenever I see a journalist apparently leaning towards the right, I go to Wikipedia to read about their family's history in the sugar trade."

Well in with the Unionist elite, this reporter for the British state media:

Her maternal grandfather was the Scottish high court judge Lord Robertson and his brother Sir James Wilson Robertson was the last British Governor-General of Nigeria. Her older brother David is executive director of finance and resources at Brighton and Hove City Council.[7] Her older sister Joanna Kuenssberg is a diplomat, and a former high commissioner to Mozambique.[6]

Her paternal grandfather was my Dad's family GP back in the day, and quite a lot else to boot, including deep involvement with the development of NHS services. His wikipedia article is currently unavailable due to dispute :hmm:

Here's his obituary Dr Ekkehard Kuenssberg

And she's at it again:

1610986185543.png

On the day the Tories are voting to cut Universal Credit by over 20% (£95 to £75 per week), Laura Kuenssberg describes UC rates as “generous”.
‘BBC's Laura Kuenssberg used the the word "generous" while describing universal credit. This an opinion and not evidence-based journalism. It gives the distinct impression people receiving the payment, should be "grateful" @BBCr4today’
For comparison, an MP’s basic salary is £1576 per week, and Kuenssberg gets approx £4230 per week.
[--]

I was listening this morning and I didn't remember hearing that and thinking OMG. I listened back just now out of interest as I was tbf half asleep at the time, and what she said was in relation to UC and why the vote in parliament on the £20 extra today was important was the benefit has been "more generous" during this Covid period. Which is entirely accurate in terms of the dictionary definition of generous. Maybe she could have used a different word but I don't think it's quite the context your man on Twitter is trying to portray.

@colacubes has already explained it in full and corrected my assumption, so I'm not sure what propose your late-to-the-party post is supposed to serve.
what purpose does any of this serve? i had hoped you'd say something more about assumptions being corrected, about how easy it is to fall prey to people prepared to twist the truth on the internet and how people should be careful because if it can happen to someone as experienced in the wiles of the internet as you then it can happen to anyone. that just because you believe someone is really rather partial to a political party it doesn't mean they're always in the wrong. those are certainly the conclusions i'm taking from this episode, i wonder what you're taking.

No, the complaint still stands. Generous is a value laden work, even if used comparatively with "more generous" it still implies generosity. Therefore, Kuenssberg is still a twat, in fact, she's more generous with her twattery.
I'd say in the context of benefit rises over the past 25 years £20 a week is surprisingly generous from a Tory government and it's nice to see them in such a mess over it. In terms of the actual generosity of UC, a £20 a week rise is an first step toward the level it should be. Until it is separated from the coercive power of the state and made a universal credit in reality rather than a benefit payable solely on the state's terms it could be a grand a week and there'd still be something ungenerous about it

Last edited:
I was listening this morning and I didn't remember hearing that and thinking OMG. I listened back just now out of interest as I was tbf half asleep at the time, and what she said was in relation to UC and why the vote in parliament on the £20 extra today was important was the benefit has been "more generous" during this Covid period. Which is entirely accurate in terms of the dictionary definition of generous. Maybe she could have used a different word but I don't think it's quite the context your man on Twitter is trying to portray.

The idea that £20 a week is generous in any context, especially for those unable to work generally or because of Covid is frankly insulting. The fact they are voting on this now simply betrays the wickedness endemic in the Tory perspective. They don't care. Their colleagues and associates are crony-ing billions from the public purse and doing what all disaster capitalists do, clearly without an inch of shame.

LK gets paid over £250,000 a year to use the wrong words? Nah, she can fuck off with her overly 'generous', Tory promoting, self-serving choice of commentary.

Last edited:
Hmm, technically correct usage maybe. Also very likely a word that not everyone would use.
The tweet conjures up images of something worse than it was, but 'generous' does kind of conjure up the image of a local Baron paying out of his pocket, which seems to be lot of Tories' idea of where they would like to see benefits heading.

Back
Top Bottom