Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dubious journalism of the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg

I despair every time Kuenssberg reports anything. It's obvious where her political sympathies lie. No doubt she's scratching backs that will set her up at sometime in the future with well paid reward. Beeb should dich her pronto.

Shame the English papers are not up to their Scottish counterparts.

ELbRufsWkAUwJzt

I despair every time Kuenssberg reports anything. It's obvious where her political sympathies lie. No doubt she's scratching backs that will set her up at sometime in the future with well paid reward. Beeb should dich her pronto.
Less obvious is how any job or other reward she's handed by the Tories could possibly compensate her for the disdain and ridicule in which she's mired herself and her once-proud corporation. It's not like her current post lacks for prestige, power or cash reward. What inducements could be worth descending to this?

Less obvious is how any job or other reward she's handed by the Tories could possibly compensate her for the disdain and ridicule in which she's mired herself and her once-proud corporation. It's not like her current post lacks for prestige, power or cash reward. What inducements could be worth descending to this?

The praise of and a sense of belonging with her peers. Don't make the mistake of imagining she or any of her other failed journalist pals give a fuck what you or I think of them.

Plus, I'm guessing, an honour down the road and a safe job in PR or something for the retirement.

The praise of and a sense of belonging with her peers. Don't make the mistake of imagining she or any of her other failed journalist pals give a fuck what you or I think of them.

Plus, I'm guessing, an honour down the road and a safe job in PR or something for the retirement.
Several of her peers have been openly ridiculing her, and unless she's aiming to be a channel controller or on the board, she's already at the top of her career. She could smooth the government's path without the blundering.

There could be some quid pro quo, but just as likely is that she's viewed as a safe pair of hands who'll unthinkingly take the Tory line in return for access. Why rely on inducements when you don't have to? The lobby system may not have been designed to tame journalists, but it could've well have been.

Anyone else get the feeling that we are barely scratching the surface of the electoral fraud/distraction/lies here?

The criminal offence is committed by the person who's counted and talked about them. I don't think reporting what you've been told - dodgy as it surely is - is an offence

Rep of the People Act 1983, s.66 Every person ... in connection with the receipt of ballot papers for people voting by post .. shall maintain the secrecy of voting and shall not ..communicate *any* information If a person acts in contravention, liable...up to 6 months in prison

The criminal offence is committed by the person who's counted and talked about them. I don't think reporting what you've been told - dodgy as it surely is - is an offence
The police could insist she reveal her source
Hopefully that would fuck the source and her for being a loud mouth cunt

Paul Mason tweeted that the BBC's own guidelines say "don't do this, it's a criminal offence". I'm not sure what the specific electoral law is tbh. I expect it will come out.

Concerns me that it going around madly on Twitter actually boosts the visibility of the statement and gives it more effect.

In the same way that, e.g. Jeremy Vine will not be doing a show tomorrow, journos have to be very fucking careful with what they report within certain time of an election. What she said there clearly crosses a line, that kind of shit can not be reported until after 10pm tomorrow.

Anyone else get the feeling that we are barely scratching the surface of the electoral fraud/distraction/lies here?
Concerns me that it going around madly on Twitter actually boosts the visibility of the statement and gives it more effect.
This is the issue. Voting is (and always has been tribal) so when a lie is told the tribes share it wide. Any correction on the lie is treated defensively.

I was speaking to a retired couple (pretty right wing) last week and they will not listen to reason. Brexit is the best solution for everyone, Labour will take their homes and open the floodgates to loads of foreigners, etc' and they will never back down. If they saw video of Johnson kicking a disabled Jewish child down the road they would still vote for him.

In the same way that, e.g. Jeremy Vine will not be doing a show tomorrow, journos have to be very fucking careful with what they report within certain time of an election. What she said there clearly crosses a line, that kind of shit can not be reported until after 10pm tomorrow.
Maybe it does, but it's a different line to the one people are saying she's crossed, re: the representation of the people act, I'm fairly sure.

Either way I'm willing to bet she never faces any kind of charge, and is unlikely to even be reprimanded or censured for it.

I was under the impression, don't know from where, that while they might open the envelopes of postal votes beforehand, they didn't start counting them until the polling stations were closed, to avoid any possibility of this happening :confused:

Back
Top Bottom