Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

They daren't do that - bang goes a US trade deal if they do. There will be one in the Irish Sea, and the DUP and Orange Order will go into meltdown

has to be tho', else the republics/EU trucks will just rock up to Larne on the M1/A1 and bypass the whole irish sea WALL OF STEEL

eta unless im missing something.lots of trucks use that route

Could have gone in any one of two or three threads...

Panicking No 10 dumps Donald Trump and woos Joe Biden

Tim Shipman, Political Editor
Sunday October 11 2020, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

Ministers have been told to forge links with the White House frontrunner Joe Biden after “writing off” Donald Trump’s chances of re-election, amid fears that the UK could be left out in the cold if the former vice-president wins.

Boris Johnson has been warned that Trump is on course for a landslide defeat with his Democratic opponents set to land a historic “triple whammy” by seizing control of the presidency, the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Private polling and computer models shown to No 10 last month put Biden’s chances of victory at more than 70%. The challenger has since opened up a double-digit lead and one predictive model based on polling this weekend gave him an 85% chance of winning, with the chances of a landslide better than one in three.

The prime minister spoke to the president last week, wishing him well for the election, despite an official decision not to take sides. But one senior Tory said: “They’re writing off Trump in No 10 now.”

Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, recently visited America and met Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker, and other congressional figures. He also talked to Chris Coons, described as “the Biden whisperer” in the Senate, as well as Richard Neal, a congressman seen as a power broker on Capitol Hill.

Karen Pierce, the British ambassador in Washington, is wooing Tony Blinken and Jake Sullivan, Biden’s foreign policy advisers, who are tipped to be secretary of state and national security adviser. Biden’s aides have resisted contacts with foreign diplomats after controversy about Trump team contacts with Russia before the last election.

Johnson’s team expect a bumpy ride if Biden wins. The presidential hopeful tweeted last month that he “can’t allow” any UK-US trade deal to proceed if Northern Ireland is “a casualty of Brexit”.

Diplomats say Biden will be cool towards Johnson because of his comments about Barack Obama during the 2016 Brexit referendum, in which he criticised “the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British Empire”.

One said: “They remember that. Democrats also regard Trump as appalling and disgusting and there will be a penalty for people who sucked up to Trump. Angela Merkel didn’t. Macron did and then got tough. The Democrats don’t much like Brexit.”

British diplomats in America have sent telegrams predicting that Biden will probably prioritise a trans-Pacific trade deal, or even a deal with the EU, over a bilateral deal with Britain.

On the other hand, the UK has helped keep alive the Iran nuclear deal, which Biden helped to write, in the hope that it can be revived after Trump, and officials also hope Biden will be more pro-Nato.

Problems also lie ahead if Trump stages a comeback. Woody Johnson, the US ambassador in London, has said America will slap tariffs on Scottish salmon if the UK does not accept US “chlorinated” chicken as part of a trade deal.

Lord Darroch, the former British ambassador in Washington, said in his recent memoir that Johnson was “fascinated” by Trump and saw him as “a kindred spirit”. It is understood the prime minister is personally relaxed about a Trump win since “there is an existing relationship”.

But many of Johnson’s most senior aides believe comparisons between the two damage Johnson. Dominic Cummings has told ministers to publicly keep their distance from the Trump administration.

Can I just check something (argument elsewhere)?

The British Government will have to decide that the Irish border (and we have to have one because we won't be members of the EU so there'll have to be a border between EU and not-EU) will have to be either:

a) in the middle of the Irish Sea in which case the DUP will be pissed off and the Brexit idea of 'sovereignty' is fucked because we have a border between England and N. Ireland

b) on the border between Eire and NI in which case the Good Friday agreement is fucked and we risk going back to 'the troubles'

Anything other than that risks (for example) salmonella type meat exports coming in from the US to Britain and across the border to Eira and so on to the EU?

No other possibilities?

The British Government will have to decide that the Irish border (and we have to have one because we won't be members of the EU so there'll have to be a border between EU and not-EU) will have to be either:

a) in the middle of the Irish Sea in which case the DUP will be pissed off and the Brexit idea of 'sovereignty' is fucked because we have a border between England and N. Ireland

b) on the border between Eire and NI in which case the Good Friday agreement is fucked and we risk going back to 'the troubles'

Anything other than that risks (for example) salmonella type meat exports coming in from the US to Britain and across the border to Eira and so on to the EU?

No other possibilities?
thats my understanding, yes

ta :) I'm in 'conversation' with a Farage-style Brexiteer whose last statement was 'why should we have a border?'

which threw me :)

No other possibilities?
You could have both borders. That won't happen as long as we have a competent and conscientious government, though.

you either have a customs union or a border
tell them theres one in dover and kent

yes I did mention the Lorry Park :)

Great though that he doesn't seem to recognize that being outside the EU means borders with inside the EU. He's making it an agreement-breaking deal that the EU is betraying Britain's Sovereignty, but surely it's Johnson who has to do that if he decides on a border that is outside NI.

an agreement-breaking deal that the EU is betraying Britain's Sovereignty
This is the dishonest crap the tories have spouted since the Internal Market Bill - its gaslighting, its pretending the Withdrawl Agreement wasnt a defacto border agreement, its bare face bullshit hence the EU moving to legal proceedings.
Its so boldly bullshit it makes me doubt reality in all honesty

This is the dishonest crap the tories have spouted since the Internal Market Bill - its gaslighting, its pretending the Withdrawl Agreement wasnt a defacto border agreement, its bare face bullshit hence the EU moving to legal proceedings.
Its so boldly bullshit it makes me doubt reality in all honesty

Exactly, he's going on about the Withdrawal Agreement guaranteeing British sovereignty and that the EU is dishonestly breaking that. But that means a border between Eire/NI which risks a return to the 'troubles'. And if there's no physical border you're going to have people driving from NI to EU with all sorts of shit which then can be legally exported to the rest of the EU.

I think

No other possibilities?

That's the crux of it. Neither option is remotely viable of course.

Exactly, he's going on about the Withdrawal Agreement guaranteeing British sovereignty
Disingenuous. Everyone knew what it meant, DUP knew, Johnson knew. Britain does remain sovereign. It was a workaround that allowed the border to be shifted a degree.
Theresa May said it, "no British prime minister would allow it". Johnson allowed it. The country shrugged in Brexit exhaustion. Tories won the election off resolving the impasse

To now repaint it as EU betrayal is the kind of deep gaslighting only a serial abuser could dream up.

Anyhow, seems they plan to build lorry parks around Wales, suggests to me border in the sea is inevitable, with the blame pinned on the EU for the sake of fools like the one you've been taking to.

I expect there's still a lot of fall out to come here, not just economic.

Fourth option: customs union

Johnson has regularly also said he simply plans to not enforce any nominal irish border... Let it leak basically. Hard to predict the implications of that

No other possibilities?
The Irish sea border will push a United Ireland closer...

Fourth option: customs union

Johnson has regularly also said he simply plans to not enforce any nominal irish border... Let it leak basically. Hard to predict the implications of that

Will presumably give the EU the green light to punish the UK.

No other possibilities?
A United Ireland which while it's probably a dozen years off is likely more or less inevitable now

Back
Top Bottom