Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Actually making car parts rather than assembling other countries efforts might be the way forward.
Absoutely but building such an industry from scratch will take a couple of decades of effort even with the political will to do so AND we will still have to trade with other countries since the UK alone may not be a big enough market to make it worthwhile.

Absoutely but building such an industry from scratch will take a couple of decades of effort even with the political will to do so AND we will still have to trade with other countries since the UK alone may not be a big enough market to make it worthwhile.
Luckily we have a lot of people looking for these new jobs and plenty of money to invest in setting it up. I understand that Serco have already won the contract to build the factories and warehouses!
and a lot of materials will have to come from abroad so the parts will similarly be taxed at higher rate?
Am sure the government have a deal lined up :thumbs:

Actually making car parts rather than assembling other countries efforts might be the way forward.
Don't be ridiculous, Britain has never had any sort of car industry or any other engineering, and there's no way we would have been able to make cars without the generous Europeans providing the parts for us.

Before the EU you never saw a car on the roads in Britain and everyone walked everywhere.

Britain has never had any sort of car industry or any other engineering
d013a12a6fee9e8561ab3e919251537e.jpg

Is it really all about fishing and state aid? i can't believe that, are we just going to be aligned enough for the EU on everything else?

What struck me today was the super imposition of Brexit and Covid. Who would have thought? If you'd told this to someone in May 2016 they wouldn't have believed it.
I wonder how much the pandemic has affected negotiations?
Re Covid. The UK has spent more on the economic ramifications than the EU has, the member states themselves have borrowed and spent but there will be a reckoning. Sorting out the Euro seems beyond the EU regardless of whether the UK is a member or not.
Potentially the UK"s reckoning could come before the EUs so there are pitfalls that should be avoided.

As much as EU has shown unity over Brexit Covid has exposed the EUs flaws the non immigration based euroskeptics have talked of for over 20 years whilst being shown nothing but contempt

Don't be ridiculous, Britain has never had any sort of car industry or any other engineering, and there's no way we would have been able to make cars without the generous Europeans providing the parts for us.

Before the EU you never saw a car on the roads in Britain and everyone walked everywhere.

That was before car subsystems were vastly more complicated and expensive to engineer and construct.

All Jaguars use ZF transmissions made in Austria. There is absolutely no way Jaguar has a big enough market share to fund the development of a transmission like the ZF 8HP on their own. There are similar stories all over the car business - Aston Martin use Mercedes powertrains and electronics, McLaren use Italian Graziano transmissions.

Moving towards a new stage of "negotiations"?
1601541130735-png.232481

View attachment 232481

Commentators have been saying that the Tories illegal bill, threatening to wish away all border requirements with Ireland, is just the Tories playing hardball - its a threat designed to push through negotiations in their favour - but no one has said what pressure it puts on the EU. Certainly it has pressured them to issue sanctions. What else?

(The only thing I can imagine is that its a threat that the EU, and that means Ireland, would have the onus on them too implement the border with Northern Ireland - though this really is still as much of an onus on the UK as it is the EU. Doesnt make sense to me. I can see why the Tories want cake and eat it to not have to deal with a new border, but i dont see how this is a threat - its a problem that doesn't go away just because you want it to)

Last edited:
The EU legal action is meaningless. This will all be resolved before their action is actually addressed in the courts.

Back
Top Bottom