Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

AFAIK Chatham, along with the other Medway towns is already a Unitary district and not, now, technically part of Kent at all...East or West. Maybe all the waiting HGVs will be able to park there?

they can park them all on Sheppy, the extra weight might make it fall in the sea.

Last edited:
I love Kent and have friends and family staying there. It's facing a desperate couple of years really, as are the rest of us, to a lesser degree.

Everyone knows this will be a disaster, everyone knows it will cause massive disruption and likely massive economic degradation and unemployment, everyone can see creeping oligarchisation and democratic erosion in plain sight.

But no one can stop it.

Maybe at some point liberal England will realise the futility of crowdfunding lawyers on Twitter and start passing the hat round for some decent artillery pieces.

They are only going to move people where they consider those particular individuals key. If they reckon that 100 actual people need moving then the number of jobs that will be moved, where they sack someone in London and hire someone in Paris is liable to be much larger

Good long FT summary of the state of Johnsons government including lots of insight into the Brexit deal, which they reckon there will be one (as opposed to no deal)

Only thing is it makes no mention of the Irish border, nor EU sanctions threat

Last edited:
They're being asked to relocate. Which means moving their whole family abroad. Disruption to children at school, their partners' jobs etc. Plenty of families may not want to move
It's part of the life working in financial services though. Half of them were probably made to move to London in the first place; the big financial institutions have some of the most diverse workforces in London.

And if it's voluntary I bet there's a waiting list to get out of this shithole.

It's part of the life working in financial services though. Half of them were probably made to move to London in the first place; the big financial institutions have some of the most diverse workforces in London.

And if it's voluntary I bet there's a waiting list to get out of this shithole.

Maybe. But the only people I know in financial services in London are British people who grew up here.

Maybe. But the only people I know in financial services in London are British people who grew up here.
I worked providing transport for (among others) UBS, JP Morgan, Standard Chartered and PWC for over a decade. They have tonnes of foreign nationals working in their London offices and they regularly move people from country to country.

But that's a reflection of "people you know", rather than "all people who work in financial services".

The article suggests the people affected are

Goldman Sachs employees who work in areas including sales and trading, deal-making and private wealth management

As already mentioned, it's likely to be people at the top of the company who are considered indispensable to GS's money making activities. They won't be asking secretaries and cleaners to relocate.

And although it says employees, i would imagine that many/most of them are actually partners, which is slightly different.

Is it really all about fishing and state aid? i can't believe that, are we just going to be aligned enough for the EU on everything else?

What struck me today was the super imposition of Brexit and Covid. Who would have thought? If you'd told this to someone in May 2016 they wouldn't have believed it.
I wonder how much the pandemic has affected negotiations?

Love this quote=>

Even some Conservative MPs supportive of Mr Johnson worry he has been captured by Mr Cummings and the Vote Leave Brexit hardliners in Downing Street. ā€œHeā€™s like Aung San Suu Kyi, surrounded by the generals, occasionally wheeled out to smile and say everything will be OK,ā€ says one former minister in a reference to the Myanmar chief.

Britain's car industry risks losing out even if there is a post-Brexit trade deal with the EU, according to documents seen by the BBC.

Car parts from Japan and Turkey used in the UK will not be treated as British, so some exports may see higher tariffs.

In a letter, Britain's chief Brexit negotiator says the UK has failed so far to get the car parts deal it wants, and "obviously cannot insist on it".

Back
Top Bottom