Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

PS- Dover Athletic FC were ready to sign a deal with Bromley (I think) to use their ground for home fixtures, if Brexit had gone ahead on time, as visiting football clubs would not have been able to reach fixtures in Dover easily, as a result of the port collapsing in the early hours after a no-deal .

All a bit academic now as sadly corona is likely to sink the National League season and as a result (very likely) the football club itself. But indicative of the batshit insane preparations this nonsense is forcing ordinary companies / folk to have to make.

Last edited:
I love Kent and have friends and family staying there. It's facing a desperate couple of years really, as are the rest of us, to a lesser degree.

Everyone knows this will be a disaster, everyone knows it will cause massive disruption and likely massive economic degradation and unemployment, everyone can see creeping oligarchisation and democratic erosion in plain sight.

But no one can stop it.
We are heading for the clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks.
And it's all foreseeable, and was preventable.
And it's happening 100% as a result of government policy.
the theatre sector, which is solid Tory ground How the fuck did we end up in this mess?:(

I wonder what the traffic implications of this Kent thing will be
No doubt there'll still be Operation Shit Stack anyway
But the idea is to keep some trucks displaced

KENT.png

The two roads trucks approach Kent on are the M25 at the Dartford Crossing and also M25 coming from the South West...
I wonder where the natural pre-Kent pile up for trucks will be instead? Could get very snarly... M25 is a pinch point already

**Also how come Rochester isnt in Kent on that map?

Last edited:

View attachment 231548

The two roads trucks approach Kent on are the M25 at the Dartford Crossing and also M25 coming from the South West...
I wonder where the natural pre-Kent pile up for trucks will be instead? Could get very snarly... M25 is a pinch point already

They seceded last week

View attachment 231548

Medway has its own council.

View attachment 231548

Medway has been a unitary authority, independent of KCC, since 1998.

AFAIK, the main provisions for HGV parking are within Kent; operation Brock (portmanteau of Brexit & cock-up?) having 4 phases that work progressively back from Dover & The Channel Tunnel towards the M26 junction with the M25 at Sevenoaks.

Fuck knows where they expect the traffic with the correct papers/Kent permit to go?

Surrey County Council has released a statement:

Surrey has announced plans to introduce a permit scheme for lorry drivers wishing to cross into Kent, to avoid the predicted tailbacks caused by lorries trying to cross the recently announced Kent border.

A Surrey County Council spokesperson told us, “We understand the need for some sort of border in Kent, as they seek to avoid miles of queues outside Dover by ensuring everyone has the correct paperwork before they even get into the county.

“But all this does is shift the problem onto our doorstep. Any driver without the correct paperwork will be stuck in our county, and this simply won’t do. We can’t have miles-long tailbacks simply shifted from Dover to Surrey.

“So, today we are announcing a new permit scheme for all lorries wishing to pass through Surrey on their way to Kent.

“The paperwork will be simple and straightforward and will ensure the roads of our country remain congestion-free in post-Brexit Britain.

“Any drivers who do not have the correct paperwork will be refused entry, to ensure there are no queues at the Surrey-Kent border.”

The news has been welcomed by residents of Surrey, but has quickly led to copycat schemes in bordering counties.

A Berkshire counsellor told us, “Wait, what? They’re going to push the queues into our backyard. Oh no they’re bloody not!

“Consider this the start of the Berkshire-Surrey Border Permit Scheme, in which any lorry wishing to drive through Berkshire in order to access Surrey in order to get to Kent will have to have a permit, so we can avoid queues on our side of the Berkshire-Surrey border.”

The authorities in Oxfordshire are said to be watching developments closely.

Back
Top Bottom