Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

sure it will, but that's a minority of those who voted Leave, and those whose votes the Tories need next time round. No Deal means - with absolute certainty - the disappearance, practically overnight of 44% of our export base and the colapse of the financial services sector.
Which in turn means the collapse of the British economy, plus food shortages.
Once that reality hits home, there's only so far brexiteer rhetoric and wrapping yourse3lves in the Union Jack will get them
And you'd want more than a union flag round you in the cold winter nights on the streets

Embrace global warming, winter is never coming again. We will be dining on home grown papaya and bananas come January . No trade deals needed

Have you noticed how all the pro-Brexit people seem to be getting progressively quieter? Perhaps even they're realising that it's a Class A Clusterfuck.
Remainers got themselves even more rabid after the peoples vote fiasco. We have heard and reheard all your capitalist club supporting rants. Nothing new worth anything emerges.

Remainers got themselves even more rabid after the peoples vote fiasco. We have heard and reheard all your capitalist club supporting rants. Nothing new worth anything emerges.
Wow. You still BELIEVE.

I can see how the prospect of Brexit has got the flag-waving right wingers and nationalists all wet in their gussets, but I didn't realise Brexit was going to free us from capitalism too.

1599841306187.png

To the bitter end, I'll never really understand what motivated anyone on the left to get seriously engaged about the intra-capital disagreement about the form of neoliberalism that could accelerate their wealth accumulation fastest and most securely defend that already stashed away. I really couldn't care less whether or not our neoliberal state is a member of the neoliberal union or not.

To the bitter end, I'll never really understand what motivated anyone on the left to get seriously engaged about the intra-capital disagreement about the form of neoliberalism that could accelerate their wealth accumulation fastest and most securely defend that already stashed away. I really couldn't care less whether or not our neoliberal state is a member of the neoliberal union or not.

That was and is roughly my attitude too, coupled with the fact that I thought lexit was vanishingly unlikely to materialise and voting to leave therefore looked like a massive risk for very uncertain and distant rewards.

the (anti)democratic argument is pretty clear to understand

the (anti)democratic argument is pretty clear to understand

Clear, but I don't find it convincing for exactly the reason Brogdale gives. Plus, there's a democratic deficit in the EU but so is there in the UK, and it's becoming worse as successive governments since 2016 have tried harder and harder to evade all the usual forms of scrutiny and check.

I think it's like one of those big bombs that go off the distance. You see the flash but then it takes ages to actually feel it. And then you wonder if you imagined it.

Your analogy works better if you use the word fallout, cos that’s what we’re seeing now.

Nah, the fuse is still lit. The fallout starts in January.

The bomb went off. The Tories are once again tearing themselves to bits, they did it before but Labour’s Tories decided that would be a good time to attack their own party. Now they have a Tory in charge who is capable of sticking it to them, but he will fail cos he’s basically a Tory, plus he can’t be interviewed on breakfast TV cos he and Charlie Stayt share the same lump of hair.

Last edited:
editor said:
I can see how the prospect of Brexit has got the flag-waving right wingers and nationalists all wet in their gussets, but I didn't realise Brexit was going to free us from capitalism too.

Free us from capitalism and deliver us to the sunlit uplands of warlordism.

Last edited:
Since the agreement to set the border in the Irish Sea has there been any attempt by Westminster to create the infrastructure and bureaucracy necessary for new years day? I don't know but I doubt it. Seems to me this isn't a bluff, it was always the plan. I have memories of Johnson saying in full contradiction at the time of signing the WA that there won't be a border regime, and papers running truth check articles saying yes there will. They were wrong I expect.

Ditching the treaty was apparently always part of the plan:

ERG member Bernard Jenkin said he only voted for the WA because the prime minister claimed he would ditch it if no deal was reached by the end of the Brexit transition period.

Writing in the Diplomat magazine, Jenkin said: “We only have a WA because Eurosceptic Conservatives, such as myself, voted for it to help the nation out of a paralysing political crisis. To his credit, the prime minister had ameliorated Mrs May’s agreement.”

“We made clear, however, that this agreement was barely ‘tolerable’ and only voted for it against assurances given by government: that it was just a starting point for negotiations; that it would be superseded by a full FTA [free trade agreement]; and, if needs be, could be repudiated.”

But herr is heard hair here.

48c67bd1-f451-4df4-9f5a-62c7ddedd64b_screenshot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom