Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

What happens if Britain breaks international law then? EU sanctions? I doubt it. It will go down great with the Brexit faithful and makes the EU the bad guy when they have to stick a hard border in Ireland.
The Chinese get carte Blanche with Hong Kong, for a start. They just need to realign their internal markets “in a limited and specific way”.

According to the Daily Mail comments section this is going down very well with parts of the base who think Boris is standing up to Brussels.

Surely they know that this support base will evaporate in a matter of hours as soon as the reality of new deal becomes apparent?

Feels like that, but you have to wonder to what extent this is Cummings attempting to compel the supra state to be seen to enforce what will be unpopular non-tariff barriers within & between nations of the UK Union. In other words, another (apparently) high stakes & very theatrical exercise in blame shifting, so that, when they cave, the vermin will blame others for what they signed up to.

that doesnt really work too well though when

1. the government have themselves said with some conviction they're really up for crashing out, and their disciples believe them
2. people like farage are today egging them on to do just that from the sidelines

- anything other than no deal now will look like capitulation - no matter how much they can try and blame it on the EU - the fact they've threatened to walk, backing down will from this bill will always be backing down - and thanks to this illegal bill, they'll be backing down off an even bigger ledge.
whatever, i hope they fall and break their necks.
unfortunately we're all tied to their ankles
....analogy ends....

Surely they know that this support base will evaporate in a matter of hours as soon as the reality of new deal becomes apparent?

I'm not sure it will. Even if it goes the full 'no deal' crash-out that is unlikely to cause all hell to break loose immediately. There'll be disruption and shortages, but probably not on an unmanageable level, and I suspect some do really think they'll be able to bury part of it under Covid-related difficulties. The rest can be blamed on EU intransigence/punishment/vengefulness, and a fair few of the 'base' are going to be quite happy to believe that, especially if sanctions, fines or whatever are involved. Some will also continue to believe that more damage is being done to the EU than Britain, and cling to the hope that either it will come begging for a deal or just fall apart. It might take a long time and a fair bit of economic pain and political unpleasantness before that changes.

It's a long way from 'sunlit uplands' and 'having cake and eating it.'

There'll be disruption and shortages, but probably not on an unmanageable level
but looks who's in charge to manage it!
theyve got three and a half months to get everything in place, and theres the small matter of a pandemic to deal with too
im a bit of a doom-monger, i admit, but the odds on them dealing adequately with a crash out look slim to me

theyve got three and a half months to get everything in place, and theres the small matter of a pandemic to deal with too
im a bit of a doom-monger, i admit, but the odds on them dealing adequately with a crash out look slim to me
Don't panic!

Oh I don't think they'll deal with it adequately! It's a sign of their malevolent incompetence that it's now looking pretty likely as an outcome, and they'll fuck up managing it just as they've fucked up absolutely everything else. But we've seen with Covid that people will forgive a surprising amount, and there are a lot of people out there who still believe 'Boris' is a jolly good chap and/or that 'proper' Brexit must happen at any price. I can't see them turning on him. Not yet.

Not all tories are on side. Major & Howard might have more influence than Johnson would like.

Not all tories are on side. Major & Howard might have more influence than Johnson would like.

Tbf Major, and for that matter Theresa May, are easily written off as remainers, and a lot of the senior backbenchers who've come out against it - Gale, Neill - supported remain too. Howard's more significant. One wonders how many he's speaking for. Perhaps quite a few, since this seems to point to quite a major rebellion:

Quite the constitutional crisis if it comes to it.

Brace, brace.

Last edited:
that doesnt really work too well though when

1. the government have themselves said with some conviction they're really up for crashing out, and their disciples believe them
2. people like farage are today egging them on to do just that from the sidelines

- anything other than no deal now will look like capitulation - no matter how much they can try and blame it on the EU - the fact they've threatened to walk, backing down will from this bill will always be backing down - and thanks to this illegal bill, they'll be backing down off an even bigger ledge.
whatever, i hope they fall and break their necks.
unfortunately we're all tied to their ankles
....analogy ends....
Yep, but I just don't think conventional assumptions regarding 'optics' work here & now. My gut reaction is that they will cave to a deal but have generated enough antagonistic shite from the blame sponge supra state to firmly establish their own 'creation myths' about Free Britain.

EhdNBO2XYAA6TLv

Yep, but I just don't think conventional assumptions regarding 'optics' work here & now. My gut reaction is that they will cave to a deal but have generated enough antagonistic shite from the blame sponge supra state to firmly establish their own 'creation myths' about Free Britain.
1599760545023.jpeg
add the word Shit after Bat

I think the EU imposing fines or sanctions would make Boris more popular with the out and out Brexit or die lot.
sure it will, but that's a minority of those who voted Leave, and those whose votes the Tories need next time round. No Deal means - with absolute certainty - the disappearance, practically overnight of 44% of our export base and the colapse of the financial services sector.
Which in turn means the collapse of the British economy, plus food shortages.
Once that reality hits home, there's only so far brexiteer rhetoric and wrapping yourse3lves in the Union Jack will get them

Last edited:
Tbf Major, and for that matter Theresa May, are easily written off as remainers, and a lot of the senior backbenchers who've come out against it - Gale, Neill - supported remain too. Howard's more significant. One wonders how many he's speaking for. Perhaps quite a few, since this seems to point to quite a major rebellion:

Quite the constitutional crisis if it comes to it.

Brace, brace.

Plus a major diplomatic crisis: Pelosi has made it clear that we have zero hopes of any future trade deal with the US if we trash the GFA, and there are already governments all around the world saying, in diplomatic terms 'what the fuck are you playing at?". We are actually breaching the BVienna Convention, to which we are a signatory.
I've been racking my brains ever since this blew up yesterday, and I simply can't recall any instance, in the past few decades, of a liberal democracy threatening to both trash a treaty and break international law.
It's absolutely beyond mental.

Plus a major diplomatic crisis: Pelosi has made it clear that we have zero hopes of any future trade deal with the US if we trash the GFA, and there are already governments all around the world saying, in diplomatic terms 'what the fuck are you playing at?". We are actually breaching the BVienna Convention, to which we are a signatory.
I've been racking my brains ever since this blew up yesterday, and I simply can't recall any instance, in the past few decades, of a liberal democracy threatening to both trash a treaty and break international law.
It's absolutely beyond mental.

Oh aye, and also the government saying in effect that it doesn't regard itself as bound by the rule of law.

I hate the old cliche about boiled frogs, but we do seem to have become so inured to political lunacy over the last few years that it no longer feels all that shocking.

Those states/organisations that want to undermine the EU will see that the UK is OK in the event of a crisis, they need a ‘successful’ Brexit as an example to others and to stick it to the arrogant EU. The US (and not just the Republicans) doesn’t like EU protectionism such as food standards, or the attempt to regulate/tax big tech and other transnational business. Remember that it was big tech and wingnut capitalists that enabled all this in the first place. We’ll be the bridgehead in their war. Hence Trump etc talking up having a deal ready to put in place very quickly, I’ve no doubt they intend to do this. They’ll also get a better deal if we have a little period of panic before lying down for them, and aren’t closely tied to EU rules. I don’t see anything happening that goes against this plan.

Those states/organisations that want to undermine the EU will see that the UK is OK in the event of a crisis, they need a ‘successful’ Brexit as an example to others and to stick it to the arrogant EU. The US (and not just the Republicans) doesn’t like EU protectionism such as food standards, or the attempt to regulate/tax big tech and other transnational business.
Nobody but the UK needs a successful Brexit. Everyone except the UK and in many respects the EU benefits far more from overall disruption and chaos.

There are rightwing nationalist protectionist movements across europe who want to see it be successful for their own political projects
Small fry though and they still don't need it. Even a miserable failure can be partly written off as uniquely British circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom