Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Wars discussion thread, Jar Jar, to Jedis.

Another director given the boot

Director Colin Trevorrow exits Star Wars: Episode IX - BBC News

Not surprised, it was rumoured after the flop of The Book of Henry that he might be off the project...
Has it even started filming yet? That hast to be some kind of record...

ETA: I saw TFA again last night and must say the more times I watch it, the less pleased I am with it. It will never rank as shit in my book, but the initial hype coupled with the relief that it was a million miles better than the prequels certainly made me to overlook its weaknesses when I first watched it. Now I would certainly rate it fifth on my list, with the original trilogy and Rogue One above it.

Last edited:
Apparently he could get a handle on writing the script (or writing the script the Star Wars Mafia could accept).

I thought Rian Johnson was writing IX as well as VIII?

I read an interview with Johnson on Tuesday from Empire, and he said he had only written 8, and left 9 open for Trevorrow to take in his 'own' direction.

So basically Johnson is producing the set up, but they were relying on Trevorrow to deliver the big finish....I think Johnson will get the gig now because it seems the Kathleen Kennedy and the Story Team loves his work on 8.

ETA: I saw TFA again last night and must say the more times I watch it, the less pleased I am with it. It will never rank as shit in my book, but the initial hype coupled with the relief that it was a million miles better than the prequels certainly made me to overlook its weaknesses when I first watched it. Now I would certainly rate it fifth on my list, with the original trilogy and Rogue One above it.

The first half was great, then it turned into a shameless remake of the first one only with some 98lb emo kid filling in for Darth Vader.

I'm looking forward to seeing more slavoj skywalker anyway.

and Jurrasic world really didn't have enough nostalgia credit from previous films for me to excuse how gash it was. Worse than JP2 where Jeff Goldblum is the lead and has a daughter with him.

The first half was great, then it turned into a shameless remake of the first one only with some 98lb emo kid filling in for Darth Vader.

That's what I loved about Kylo Ren; moody little shit channeling his grandad before the Darth makeover.

Admittedly, I think he has more screen presence with the mask and the voice than without but we'll see...

Fuck me:

Advert+-+RH+Nov+23+77+Star+Wars.jpg

I read an interview with Johnson on Tuesday from Empire, and he said he had only written 8, and left 9 open for Trevorrow to take in his 'own' direction.

So basically Johnson is producing the set up, but they were relying on Trevorrow to deliver the big finish....I think Johnson will get the gig now because it seems the Kathleen Kennedy and the Story Team loves his work on 8.

Most of the conversations about this appear to hover between Johnson continuing on (potentially risky given that the public have yet to see the film) or a return to J.J to 'finish what he (re) started'. Given the amount of money that Disney paid for the film, you have to wonder how 9 will be left as the idea of no further trilogy films seems stupid given the success of the 'Star Wars' cash machine, and the (thus far) untested anthology films not dependent on the original trilogy.

To my mind, having watched the end of Rogue One countless times, the bar has been set pretty high - hard to see how anyone can top the final 2-3 minutes.

Such is can anyone develop their ability in the force or is it purely hereditary. And by what mechanism is it working in those chosen people.
when it comes to The Force it is nature + nurture. First you have to have the right genetics then you need The Force to be developed inside you. There are people walking around who have The Force but don't even know it. What a waste.

Really interesting watch about the extensive use of glass/matte paintings in the original trilogy

amazing stuff

I had an amazing book when I was a kid that was full of these pictures and other early concept artwork. I think it was mainly RotJ stuff but had a few from the first two as well. I wish I knew where it was. The end credits pictures in the Mandalorian were similar and I watched all the credits for that series so I could see them all.

As we have a Disney+ subscription atm we took the opportunity to continue watching Rebels, which we had seen 1 1/2 series in the past. Very good indeed, more so than an animated series has a right to be. Some episodes were simply superb, and I’d rate the finale higher then than the prequel and sequel trilogies.

With that in mind, should I give The Clone Wars a go? I’m not doubting its quality, and see that it’s also highly rated. But I hated the prequels in general, and Anakin in particular. Is he as whiny and annoying in this as he is in the prequel films?

Random observation about SW plot holes, certainly not worth a new thread though.

Whenever I have any trouble falling asleep I tend to replay some of my favourite films to distract my mind. As it often the case one can have quite the revealing thoughts at that time of night.

And it recently occurred to me that the biggest plot hole in A New Hope isn’t the Desth Star’s laughable weakness (ignoring Rogue One’s solution to it). It surely is far more improbable than the Empire, who is desperate to find out the location of the rebel base, couldn’t really extract the information from any of the numerous Rebel troops captured when Vader raids Leia’s ship.

Vader says later in the film that Leia’s resistance to the mind probe droid is remarkable as she will just not reveal which planet the rebels are on. Are you telling me every single soldier would be as resilient? To mind probes, and torture?

Not to mention Jedi mind tricks, which a Sith Lord would be as capable of performing- probably better as they would not have any qualms about hurting or brain damaging their target- as any Jedi.

it should have taken the Empire a few hours at best to get the rebel base location from one of the prisoners they captured. A similar flaw affects the capture of Admiral Raddus’ ship at the end of Rogue One of course.

Random observation about SW plot holes, certainly not worth a new thread though.

Whenever I have any trouble falling asleep I tend to replay some of my favourite films to distract my mind. As it often the case one can have quite the revealing thoughts at that time of night.

And it recently occurred to me that the biggest plot hole in A New Hope isn’t the Desth Star’s laughable weakness (ignoring Rogue One’s solution to it). It surely is far more improbable than the Empire, who is desperate to find out the location of the rebel base, couldn’t really extract the information from any of the numerous Rebel troops captured when Vader raids Leia’s ship.

Vader says later in the film that Leia’s resistance to the mind probe droid is remarkable as she will just not reveal which planet the rebels are on. Are you telling me every single soldier would be as resilient? To mind probes, and torture?

Not to mention Jedi mind tricks, which a Sith Lord would be as capable of performing- probably better as they would not have any qualms about hurting or brain damaging their target- as any Jedi.

it should have taken the Empire a few hours at best to get the rebel base location from one of the prisoners they captured. A similar flaw affects the capture of Admiral Raddus’ ship at the end of Rogue One of course.

That could just have been the Empire making the mistake (that almost all Empires make FWIW) that the rebels have "a base" (with all the rebel leaders gathered together at it) which they can hit and crush the rebellion with one swift stroke.

The captured crew might have told them they'd come from a base, even that particular base, but knowing where the base was might have been something that they thought only Leia would know - because of course they come from a hierarchical organization that has only those at the top knowing whats going on and which operates mainly out of static bases where their leaders have offices at. As an aside, if this is a mistaken belief of theirs then they are still making it when they attack Hoth (thinking that its the rebel base, even though the film shows us that of the leadership only Leia is there and the rebel fleet (where the leaders actually are) is elsewhere).

It could also be a plot hole of course.

That could just have been the Empire making the mistake (that almost all Empires make FWIW) that the rebels have "a base" (with all the rebel leaders gathered together at it) which they can hit and crush the rebellion with one swift stroke.

The captured crew might have told them they'd come from a base, even that particular base, but knowing where the base was might have been something that they thought only Leia would know - because of course they come from a hierarchical organization that has only those at the top knowing whats going on and which operates mainly out of static bases where their leaders have offices at. As an aside, if this is a mistaken belief of theirs then they are still making it when they attack Hoth (thinking that its the rebel base, even though the film shows us that of the leadership only Leia is there and the rebel fleet (where the leaders actually are) is elsewhere).

It could also be a plot hole of course.
Yeah, I guess at the end of the day you have to make concessions to apparent implausibilities or plot holes or in most films of most genres, including masterpieces. I see such exercises as mostly fun unless the plot hole is humungous. And FWIW I never had that much of a problem with the Death Star one. There are plenty of examples in real life of shocking failures in engineering.

She isn’t caught on a rebel ship.
It’s an Alderaan diplomatic envoy vessel and by extension an Imperial Senate ship.

She is, as a rebel spy, potentially the only rebel onboard. Spies don’t really travel in herds or squadrons y’know.

They also move the rebel base around. So it’s the current location they need.

Upcoming Rogue One prequel series, Andor, has been filming in Lancashire this week :)

Looking forward to this more than the Obi Wan series if I’m honest.

Will watch all of it, but really wish new series in the SW universe would be set in the distant past or far future rather than all revolving around one particular era, as it's been so far.

Bump as yet another reason why the prequel trilogy is an abomination has come to mind.

Some of the technology seen in the prequels is far more advanced and deadly than what we saw in the original and sequel trilogies, in particular these battle droids complete with deflector shields

2b3de46a5d3f0467589843f47d526682.jpg

Lucas will always deserve massive credit for the universe he delivered, but apart from the highly irritating repeated tweakings of the original trilogy, and the soul destroying disappointment the prequel trilogy turned out to be, how on earth could he think introducing advanced almost indestructible hardware on a prequel story can be credible?

One of those droids is worth a hundred stormtroopers, and would have wiped out the rebel troops on every infantry battle seen in the original and sequel trilogies. They would have certainly minced Han, Leia and those fucking Ewoks before they’d had a chance to get anywhere near the shield generator. Why the fuck would the Empire decommission them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom