Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Acolyte: A Star Wars Product

Watched the third ep last night.

Well, that was a drop in quality.

how did the powerful coven get wiped out so easily? That fire spread remarkably fast. And what was Mae's motivation for starting it? She went from bratty to the dark side in the blink of an eye!
The problem with viewer privilege is the inverse, off screen things tend to feel less believable…

Back to complete and utter tripe this week.

The boring as hell script and glacial pace of the "mystery" is just shite.

I was almost screaming "get on with it ffs!" at the television.
It's ridiculous, that simply wasn't an episode of television.

If they want to to do episodes likes that they should just release the whole thing at once.

Now, today’s episode (6th), was a significant improvement on all previous ones (not a high bar, I know). But for the first time there is some tangible character development as well as an interesting new dynamic in the storyline being introduced.

Not a game changer but by far the best one of this series, and of sufficiently decent quality on its own. At last we have a bit of character-driven storytelling. And introducing an interesting development plot-wise.

And unexpectedly, The Stranger, which I hadn’t clocked at all before the last episode being who he was even though many others apparently did, has suddenly become a very intriguing character, and daresay likeable.

Last edited:
Now, today’s episode (6th), was a significant improvement on all previous ones (not a high bar, I know). But for the first time there is some tangible character development as well as an interesting new dynamic in the storyline being introduced.

Not a game changer but by far the best one of this series, and of sufficiently decent quality on its own. At last we have a bit of character-driven storytelling. And introducing an interesting development plot-wise.

And unexpectedly, The Stranger, which I hadn’t clocked at all before the last episode being who he was even though many others apparently did, has suddenly become a very intriguing character, and daresay likeable.
I don't know if it was good or bad yet, it wasn't complete enough to tell in my opinion.

I don't know if it was good or bad yet, it wasn't complete enough to tell in my opinion.

It wasn't a complete episode at all, and the two 'situations' were a bit ridiculous and poorly set up; 'oh, I've got no signal', 'oh, there's a power cut'...

The plot armour is strong with this one.

Team Jedi Shrek didn't take a a beaver to find a wookie hole?

Factory reset? C'mon!

"We'll be ready to leave in twenty" jarred!

Bazil the Great Beaver Detective is reminding me of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe!

Episode 7 is Episode 3 the extended mix. There's a good action scene, but I'm unsure why the whole fight kicked off.

Some of it is shot for shot repeats, so lacking in imagination.

One episode left. I've no idea what it is aiming for (not in an edge of my seat way).

Episode 7 is Episode 3 the extended mix. There's a good action scene, but I'm unsure why the whole fight kicked off.

One episode left. I've no idea what it is aiming for (not in an edge of my seat way).
Little chance of any mediocre series being rescued by the last episode, no matter how great.

Disney seems to have become another Amazon Prime Video when it comes to commissioning new shows. They have so much wealth they’re happy to shower numerous shows with cash, not even being slightly bothered that the majority of them are mediocre at best if not shite.

George Lucas came up with some lamentable products when he was still in charge of the SW universe, but at least it feels like he genuinely thought he was delivering worthy additions to the franchise. Disney seems happy to commission as many new spinoff series as they can manage and shrug their shoulders when the majority of them are derided by fans and critics alike. If they’re so desperate to provide content for their streaming service, there are plenty of other franchises, not to mention new original content, they could be financing.

On one hand I hope the last episode is a lot longer than the previous 7 or there is no way it can be remotely satisfying. On the other hand short episodes with some decent action is probably why my curiosity about where it would go was enough for me to keep watching each week.

Just watched through and yeah similar thoughts to the rest fo the thread, Osha/Mai is a classic foundling concept with a poor execution and weak characterisation (also Amandla Stenberg isn't really selling it). The later episodes were generally improving, some of the fight choreography has been excellent, but it's a bit of a slog for not much payoff.

I had to laugh at the tweet upthread:
the Force is a metaphor for cultural hegemonic power. The Jedi are a metaphor for cisgender white oppressors who hoard the power for themselves
Because to my mind it was clearly a rather less political (and quite hackneyed) "no-one's entirely good and no-one's entirely bad, it depends on your perspective" trope which has been (honestly quite boringly) common in writing throughout the comic/pop sci-fi sphere. If anything it's a reactionary centrist position encouraging paralysis and the de facto continuation of the status quo. I suspect if it had been a cast of white guys to avoid pushing his Woke Button he'd probably have quite enjoyed it.

Just watched through and yeah similar thoughts to the rest fo the thread, Osha/Mai is a classic foundling concept with a poor execution and weak characterisation (also Amandla Stenberg isn't really selling it). The later episodes were generally improving, some of the fight choreography has been excellent, but it's a bit of a slog for not much payoff.

I had to laugh at the tweet upthread:

Because to my mind it was clearly a rather less political (and quite hackneyed) "no-one's entirely good and no-one's entirely bad, it depends on your perspective" trope which has been (honestly quite boringly) common in writing throughout the comic/pop sci-fi sphere. If anything it's a reactionary centrist position encouraging paralysis and the de facto continuation of the status quo. I suspect if it had been a cast of white guys to avoid pushing his Woke Button he'd probably have quite enjoyed it.
Well yeah, the Jedi are not being portrayed as being in the wrong, just kind of fucking up while trying their best.

Yeah, I was prepared to give it as much rope as possible, but neither it delivers nor will the core story have mattered to the SW fanbase anywhere near as much as Disney thought we would.

As it happens I found myself agreeing with Senator Whatshisface’s negative opinion of the Jedi Order and what collective good they actually do by existing. Seems to me the galaxy far, far away would have been far better off without Force-botherers of either denomination.

Who was the other "sith" on the island as they left?

I assume they intend to do a s2?

100% that was Darth Plagueis. Which implies that the buff Sith could be Sheev Palpatine.

Ehhhh, as for the show as a whole....it wasn't as bad as some have been saying. It was just...meh. An interesting concept was mitigated by a very uneven tone.

Eta. Fuck I hate that I'm so nerdy about Star Wars that I know Palpatines first name. 😂

Last edited:
That show needed a few more rewrites. It wasn't good TV, and it was so dry. No fun anywhere in it. It just felt flat and there was a story in there that could have been really good, but they never really added any weight to it. £180million spent making that!

I watched Tales of the Empire this week, and the last three of that show were quite good, but again it was all very earnest. Star Wars doesn't have to be serious all the time.

They just need to take a break and write some good stories before making anything new.

They just need to take a break and write some good stories before making anything new.
I belive there is already another new SW show called "skeleten crew" on the way. Don't know much about it though. Plus further series of existing shows at some point.

I belive there is already another new SW show called "skeleten crew" on the way. Don't know much about it though. Plus further series of existing shows at some point.

Skeleton Crew is aimed at younger viewers I think; so it might be alright. The kids ain't buying toys like they used to. The Star Wars toy market has been slowing for a while now.

Skeleton Crew is aimed at younger viewers I think; so it might be alright. The kids ain't buying toys like they used to. The Star Wars toy market has been slowing for a while now.
I'm not sure if it is aimed at kids only but a quick google says the main characters are kids. It's out "late 2024".

As far as i can tell skeleton crew is live action not animated. (I don"t watch the animated shows).

You're missing out. There's a real emotional punch to parts of Bad Batch. Mind you I cried watching Jaws 4 so maybe I'm just easily emotionally manipulated.

Back
Top Bottom