Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Andor (Star Wars)

Enjoyed that!!
For a series that pretty much takes pride in its slow pace, season 1 has gone surprisingly quickly. I was half hoping for a spectacular action-packed finale or one with a mind bending twist, but actually I am happy the show remained true to its excellent storyline values and Tony Gilroy managed to stamp its authority over the Disney+ executives who undoubtedly would have preferred the usual dramatic cliffhanger that’s the norm for any season finale .

hmm last scene is weird if we have a 5 year time gap per season
Pretty sure that’s not right. This season is set five years before Rogue One/ A New Hope. I have read various reports about Andor covering one year per season, so theoretically five in total. But only two seasons have been approved/ being produced to date. If the plan really is for one year per season I guess the S2 will have been left open ended.

Reactions: Ax^
Pretty sure that’s not right. This season is set five years before Rogue One/ A New Hope. I have read various reports about Andor covering one year per season, so theoretically five in total. But only two seasons have been approved/ being produced to date. If the plan really is for one year per season I guess the S2 will have been left open ended.

S1 takes place over 1 year. S2 covers 4 years according to this link:

I thought he'd been in the prison for 6 years but i must have misunderstood that.

S1 takes place over 1 year. S2 covers 4 years according to this link:

I thought he'd been in the prison for 6 years but i must have misunderstood that.
He got sentenced to six years when he gets arrested halfway through the season FWIW, which perhaps is where you got that impression from.

Didn’t know the second season will cover the remaining four years, but I probably prefer that to the series having been commissioned to run for five seasons just because it would fit nicely, which would almost certainly have meant they wouldn’t have written the overall span of the entire series as one coherent complete tale.

Absolutely loved that and glad I posted here as the credits were running so now I get to see the bonus ball! :D
If you think about it, Vader was completely wrong when stated the ability to destroy a planet was insignificant next to the power of The Force. The Force is handy to hurl objects at enemies or control their minds in close combat situations, or lifting an X-wing stuck in a swamp, but it’s never going to win any large scale battles involving thousands of troops and massive ships, let alone one capable of destroying a planet.

The two Death Stars (and the Imperial military command) are the real boss level villains that must be defeated. The Force, Jedi and Sith Lords’ powers are quite irrelevant to the eventual outcome of of the story. If Palpatine had killed Luke or turned him to the Dark Side in RoTJ, they would still have been blown to pieces five minutes later anyway. The real battle for the freedom of the galaxy was always a military battle conducted by non-magical folk on both sides, with one wielding the ultimate power in the universe, as the poor officer who was nearly choked to death by Vader in ANH for stating the obvious quite rightly said.

The Skywalker saga of the entire nine films really is a family feud within a much larger war. Tarkin in charge of an awesomely equipped Imperial fleet has to be far more of an existential problem for the Rebellion than a hundred Vaders. I reckon Lucas knew he had to killed off at the end of ep IV, as he would have upstaged even Vader and Palpatine with ease.

Not sure how I’d ever feel about Peter Cushing being recreated no matter how convincing the CGI, but if there is one SW character that fully deserves any spin-off prequel treatment, it’s Grand Moff Tarkin :cool:

Last edited:
If you think about it, Vader was completely wrong when stated the ability to destroy a planet was insignificant next to the power of The Force. The Force is handy to hurl objects at enemies or control their minds in close combat situations, or lifting an X-wing stuck in a swamp, but it’s never going to win any large scale battles involving thousands of troops and massive ships, let alone one capable of destroying a planet.

The two Death Stars (and the Imperial military command) are the real boss level villains that must be defeated. The Force, Jedi and Sith Lords’ powers are quite irrelevant to the eventual outcome of of the story. If Palpatine had killed Luke or turned him to the Dark Side in RoTJ, they would still have been blown to pieces five minutes later anyway. The real battle for the freedom of the galaxy was always a military battle conducted by non-magical folk on both sides, with one wielding the ultimate power in the universe, as the poor officer who was nearly choked to death by Vader in ANH for stating the obvious quite rightly said.

The Skywalker saga of the entire nine films really is a family feud within a much larger war. Tarkin in charge of an awesomely equipped Imperial fleet has to be far more of an existential problem for the Rebellion than a hundred Vaders. I reckon Lucas knew he had to killed off at the end of ep IV, as he would have upstaged even Vader and Palpatine with ease.

Not sure how I’d ever feel about Peter Cushing being recreated no matter how convincing the CGI, but if there is one SW character that fully deserves any spin-off prequel treatment, it’s Grand Moff Tarkin :cool:
I think without Luke to distract him, the Emperor would have foreseen the imminent destruction of the Death Star and escaped on a shuttle, prolonging the war and perhaps even winning it.

I think without Luke to distract him, the Emperor would have foreseen the imminent destruction of the Death Star and escaped on a shuttle, prolonging the war and perhaps even winning it.
Though you could also argue that once the Jedi Order was all but eradicated in the prequel trilogy, Palpatine and Vader’s obsession with tracking down Obi Wan and the few remaining Jedi knights, even though they were all in hiding and no longer combatants, and later with trying to capture Luke so they could turn him, both Palpatine and Vader dropped the ball and devoted time and resources to endeavours that ultimately would have had little impact on the outcome of the war.

Either way, the Force was both a handicap and a distraction for the Empire and its top two commanding officials. And Palpatine royally fucked up by not foreseeing Vader might be turned back to the light side if he became in contact with his son.

Though you could also argue that once the Jedi Order was all but eradicated in the prequel trilogy, Palpatine and Vader’s obsession with tracking down Obi Wan and the few remaining Jedi knights, even though they were all in hiding and no longer combatants, and later with trying to capture Luke so they could turn him, both Palpatine and Vader dropped the ball and devoted time and resources to endeavours that ultimately would have had little impact on the outcome of the war.

Either way, the Force was both a handicap and a distraction for the Empire and its top two commanding officials. And Palpatine royally fucked up by not foreseeing Vader might be turned back to the light side if he became in contact with his son.
But the nature of the Sith is that each of them is always looking for an ally to either overthrow the Master or become a new apprentice. They're both seeking Luke for that purpose. The evil always destroys itself.

eta: And of course if as a member of the Sith you're not doing that, you're just setting yourself up to be killed when the other half of the partnership does it.

I disagree - I mean, the two Death Stars were vastly destructive creations of the Empire. They had the Imperial fleet as well, plus legions of troops and millions of security personnel, administrators and so on - many of whom were (objectively) competent and committed that what they were doing was right. They had economic control over a big chunk of their galaxy and no (at least in the canon) external threats worthy of the name, and were able to devote colossal resources to establishing, maintaining and improving a system to keep the galaxy in line.

Yet it was (as Leia alludes to in Ep IV, and as we repeatedly see in Andor) that system which created the Rebellion, and then lost to it. As we see in our world, no matter how competent or well-resourced a "crackdown" on something is, it quite often (and invariably if it is being done unjustly) just results in a much more competent opposition by removing all the soft, slow or useless people until you end up with a core of Raels.

Or to steal an idea from Spaced, if Karn had listened to the Chief Inspector at the start of Episode 1 (when he told him to just ignore the two cops that Andor had killed) would any of the rest of the show, Rogue One or films IV - VI* happened as they did?

* sorry but I still can't accept the idea that VII - IX (and Solo) are Star Wars films

Last edited:
Up to episode 7, loving it now ! :)
Assuming you also love the reminder of the season, I’d be interested to know if you might see Rogue One in a new light, given that you’d said in the past you weren’t a fan of it. Fine if you still think it’s underwhelming of course, but I reckon a good proportion of those who might have found it boring yet loved this series might appreciate RO more now.

Assuming you also love the reminder of the season, I’d be interested to know if you might see Rogue One in a new light, given that you’d said in the past you weren’t a fan of it. Fine if you still think it’s underwhelming of course, but I reckon a good proportion of those who might have found it boring yet loved this series might appreciate RO more now.
I watched Andor to he end tonight and together with The Mandalorian, it's the best thing which has come out of Star Wars. I don't see why it would make me like Rogue One more, the execution matters more to me than the concept.

Just finished it. That was really good. I thought they were building probe droids but that was good too.

finished it tonight
this must be that woke mind virus on disney ive heard so much about :thumbs:

Another takeout for me was how the very carefully managed amount of proper action sequences/ space battles in this series makes you appreciate the little crumbs of it we are being served so much more.
cheaper too

It's rare for me to change my mind on a series but I did with this. I still maintain the first two episodes were very weak, wandering around between characters in a fairly aimless way - some of whom we wouldn't see again much for several episodes. But once it got going with the plans to attack Aldhani this series gradually became the best Star Wars series so far, and the ending is pretty spectactular. Once the plot is actually in place (and it takes several episodes) it's great to see ordinary people (and powerful people) making decisions about whether and how to resist. It surpasses the ethos of Star Wars really, which let's face it is mostly about space wizards.

It's rare for me to change my mind on a series but I did with this. I still maintain the first two episodes were very weak, wandering around between characters in a fairly aimless way - some of whom we wouldn't see again much for several episodes. But once it got going with the plans to attack Aldhani this series gradually became the best Star Wars series so far, and the ending is pretty spectactular. Once the plot is actually in place (and it takes several episodes) it's great to see ordinary people (and powerful people) making decisions about whether and how to resist. It surpasses the ethos of Star Wars really, which let's face it is mostly about space wizards.
To paraphrase Darth Vader, it was wise of Disney to release the first three episodes in one go- four in the case of media reviewers. This is one of those shows that rewards you for your initial patience and faith in it, and I reckon it wouldn’t have gained enough traction if it’d been released one episode at a time from the beginning.

Reactions: Ax^
We watched it at the end of last year. I was a bit 'meh' about the first few episodes, though I liked the 'blue collar space crime' feel of it. In fact I loved the production design overall, like the brick aesthetic of Ferrix. I liked how it didn't flinch from the fact that in these scenarios, the 'good guys' will do morally dubious things for their cause as well, and the fact they got away with such a political story on Disney! And I liked the glimpse into what is essentially the Empire's civil service - I mean, it would have to have one, right?

Back
Top Bottom