Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Andor (Star Wars)

Just watched episode 3.

I’m calling it now as the best Star Wars ever.
Well I say.

To be fair I don't think I could top being 10 and watching Jedi's Revenge. Even though with adult scrutiny it is not the best of the original three, the excitement of topping off the trilogy was immense. I had played with the toys, we had had the dad reveal, there were speeder bikes. Looks a shonky today, but at the time my bothers and my faces were set to stunned.

In my mind Star Wars was simply 'great'. Nothing less. I didn't judge them as films, they were all just 'Star Wars' . . .
I only questioned them when I was about 25. A flatmate lent me the videos to watch over a weekend and as he passed them to me he said "The first one is good, the second is much better but the third kind of loses it a bit with the teddy bears". What!?!? I had never thought of rating them before, ordering them from best to worst, pointing out flaws. . . they were beyond critical analysis, they were more than films, they were Star Wars. . . . except suddenly they weren't. I watched them all and he was right. The first was an enjoyable sci fi fairy tale, the second a bit more gritty, and the third had daft dancing bears. They were just films now, my flatmate had ruined starwars two or three years before George Lucas did. . . . and then he ripped me off for a couple of grand, but that's another story.

tbf you could try watching the trilogy whilst on Mandy if you want to relieve the childhood experience

jebus quite glad when i was a kid my favourite movie was willy wonka, that still friggin glorious to today :D

Well I say.

To be fair I don't think I could top being 10 and watching Jedi's Revenge. Even though with adult scrutiny it is not the best of the original three, the excitement of topping off the trilogy was immense. I had played with the toys, we had had the dad reveal, there were speeder bikes. Looks a shonky today, but at the time my bothers and my faces were set to stunned.

In my mind Star Wars was simply 'great'. Nothing less. I didn't judge them as films, they were all just 'Star Wars' . . .
I only questioned them when I was about 25. A flatmate lent me the videos to watch over a weekend and as he passed them to me he said "The first one is good, the second is much better but the third kind of loses it a bit with the teddy bears". What!?!? I had never thought of rating them before, ordering them from best to worst, pointing out flaws. . . they were beyond critical analysis, they were more than films, they were Star Wars. . . . except suddenly they weren't. I watched them all and he was right. The first was an enjoyable sci fi fairy tale, the second a bit more gritty, and the third had daft dancing bears. They were just films now, my flatmate had ruined starwars two or three years before George Lucas did. . . . and then he ripped me off for a couple of grand, but that's another story.
For what is worth, I am not sure about how fair comparisons between SW films and TV series might be, being different beasts and all.

Mando has been great, but the first three episodes of Andor, which already are a clear indicator of the concept of this series, already make this look fucking miles better than Boba Fett and Obi Wan. And prospectively better than the remaining Mando season, simply because this is the very first SW product to have zero reliance on legacy characters and storylines, not to mention the fan service stuff and Easter eggs have been indispensable to the success of the preceding series.

Reactions: Ax^
I’m a binger and I never watch a show till a season is finished. The main reason being that I’m old and my memory is shit now.

ah thought you might set in as the first 3 episode are reportedly just setting up the start as an almost independent movie;
but fair play looking forward to your take on it after you comments to me about the world building they were doing :)

Andor was in a film. He will probably meet Biggs and Porkinson before the series is out.
Well yes, but come on. Andor is a prequel of Rogue One, which itself is a recent spin-off story conjured out of a single line of text of the scrolling opening text crawl in A New Hope. Hardly a proper legacy character comparable to Luke, Vader, Yoda, or anyone else who’s been in any of the original trilogy or prequel trilogy.

thinks it more you won't see obi wan and Luke turning up to keep the show going

sure you going to have interpretations of rebel leaders from the past turn up as it a show about how the rebellion got started and will space the gap before a new hope
over five season

more serious star wars fans is fat Trevor saying shit the first time anyones swore in star wars

thinks it more you won't see obi wan and Luke turning up to keep the show going

sure you going to have interpretations of rebel leaders from the past turn up as it a show about how the rebellion got started and will space the gap before a new hope
over five season

more serious star wars fans is fat Trevor saying shit the first time anyones swore in star wars

I really hope that isn't the case.

I'd love it if in fact this turns out to be a show about why some in the Empire might have actually had a point in trying to crush the rebellion, as opposed to the generic good-vs-evil crap:

By that I mean Karn's story - from his POV he is entirely justified in investigating the murder of two cops* (even though his boss tells him to ignore it and lie), and then when he goes to arrest the person who is actually responsible for the crime he faces armed resistance from the populace and the suspect, including the blowing up of three of his colleagues needlessly (Andor and Rael having escaped by then). When Saw turns up (as he is meant to) this association of the Rebellion with terrorism could get even more explicit. If they play Karn as being honest / good police (as the Wire would say) and trying "to do the right thing" I think this show could be great; its certainly a fantastic start.

* one of whom absolutely was murdered by Andor

I'd love it if in fact this turns out to be a show about why some in the Empire might have actually had a point in trying to crush the rebellion, as opposed to the generic good-vs-evil crap:

By that I mean Karn's story - from his POV he is entirely justified in investigating the murder of two cops* (even though his boss tells him to ignore it and lie), and then when he goes to arrest the person who is actually responsible for the crime he faces armed resistance from the populace and the suspect, including the blowing up of three of his colleagues needlessly (Andor and Rael having escaped by then). When Saw turns up (as he is meant to) this association of the Rebellion with terrorism could get even more explicit. If they play Karn as being honest / good police (as the Wire would say) and trying "to do the right thing" I think this show could be great; its certainly a fantastic start.

I was hoping for something like this too, but I think unfortunately they might have already missed that boat. After the initial set up as to why karn want's to properly do his job (because it is the right 'by the book' thing to do) this idea felt quickly lost. There also seemed to be another couple of avenues like this that presented as missed opportunities rather than morally ambiguous set ups.

. . . . And why were they all shouting "we have to get out of here now"? Both sides in fact. Did I miss something?

Perhaps in S3.... This season is set five years before A New Hope, and the only thing Luke is interested in as a 13-year-old boy is his newly discovered love of bashing the bishop.
I reckon Andor will stop off for repairs on tatooie and sny snoodles will direct him to meet some Jawas near Beggars Canyon. He will almost get hit by a young lad bullsying wamp rats in his t16.

You raise an excellent point. As you say, the reasons for those two officers to take such actions were anything but evil- indeed, they lawful and well-meaning from their standpoint.

We already know one of the key aspects of Rogue One and now Andor is the fact that for the first time ever in the SW franchise the Rebels are not portrayed as white knights but imperfect and morally flawed. It would only be fair and right that equally, some of the Empire’s forces and supporters at least are also shown to be far from pure evil and devoid of any humanity.

I didn't feel there was any sympathy for the corporate enforcers. They're the types of bully attracted to a job that lets them exert power over people.
There wasn’t, but then again there weren’t portrayed as one dimensional pure evil villains either. Which for Star Wars is a massive novelty, at least regarding the films and live action series to date.

The excellent cartoon series Rebels had already explored the concept. There was a brilliant episode in which a high rank Imperial officer who’s been hunting the main Rebel characters gets himself stranded in a hostile planet with one of the rebels, and the two have to put aside their mortal enemy mindsets and work together to survive. During the course of the episode, you get to learn that whereas the Imperial guy is still a member of an oppressive dictatorial system, he genuinely believes he is working for the good guys, and has a code of honour by which he operates. I guess Rommel in space.

But ultimately, just like Rommel, these guys are working for an odious oppressive power. The question suggestion raised upthread that perhaps those fighting the Empire are the bad guys overall is clearly a step too far for the underlying premise of the entire Star Wars universe to date. Just as The People’s Front of Judea can never be worse than the Romans, for all their faults.

There wasn’t, but then again there weren’t portrayed as one dimensional pure evil villains either. Which for Star Wars is a massive novelty, at least regarding the films and live action series to date.

The excellent cartoon series Rebels had already explored the concept. There was a brilliant episode in which a high rank Imperial officer who’s been hunting the main Rebel characters gets himself stranded in a hostile planet with one of the rebels, and the two have to put aside their mortal enemy mindsets and work together to survive. During the course of the episode, you get to learn that whereas the Imperial guy is still a member of an oppressive dictatorial system, he genuinely believes he is working for the good guys, and has a code of honour by which he operates. I guess Rommel in space.

But ultimately, just like Rommel, these guys are working for an odious oppressive power. The question suggestion raised upthread that perhaps those fighting the Empire are the bad guys overall is clearly a step too far for the underlying premise of the entire Star Wars universe to date. Just as The People’s Front of Judea can never be worse than the Romans, for all their faults.
I think I see them more as HR professionals who run redundancy processes to the best of their ability.

I think I see them more as HR professionals who run redundancy processes to the best of their ability.
The banality of evil.

Terry Pratchett nailed this in various books - Guards Guards and Small Gods spring to mind.

“…they accept evil not because they say yes, but because they don’t say no”

Karn I think... Er... I suppose we're doing spoilers.

At no point did I feel sympathy for him; standard officious shite wedded to the rulebook and getting hit by a dose of reality stuff. But done well on that basis, and nothing at all wrong with creating that kind of character... I see some level of interest in nuanced Empire, but it's by no means compulsory. Might be interesting to see it explored through his jaded old superior that fucked off to a conference. Chief Hyne I think after a google.

Back
Top Bottom