Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spain vs Italy

Also, apologies for the lack of effort that went into creating this thread, I was waiting for freedaweed to start the thread but it's 15 minutes to kick off goddammit!

In the absence of freidaweed I will c&p this from the bbc site

LINE-UPS Spain v Italy (17:00 BST)

Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta. Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

Italy: Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi, Bonucci, Giaccherni, Marchisio, Pirlo, Thiago Motta, Maggio, Cassano, Balotelli. Subs: Sirigu, Ogbonna Obienza, Balzaretti, Abate, Di Natale, Barzagli, Borini, Montolivo, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Spain with 4-6-0 formation. :confused:
Iniesta and Silva are not very much different to Villa to be honest. Don't they usually have Villa up front on his own? Would have thought Fabregas is more of a like for like swap rather than Torres or Llorente...

I hope the next couple of hours help the spanish people to forget the crap that's going on in their country.Nothing like a game of footy to lift the spirits

Looks quite open so far. I thought they might just cancel each other out and it'd be dull but so far, so good.

I think in the modern game it isn't good enough to simply describe someone as a midfielder or striker. Silva, Iniesta and Fabregas are all forwards/attacking midfielders so it's not like Spain have no one up front!

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
  • Spain beat Italy in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 on penalties but have not defeated them in a competitive game without the aid of a shoot-out since a 2-0 win at the 1920 Olympics.
  • The only other previous European Championship meetings were group games in 1980 (a 0-0 draw in Milan) and 1988 (a 1-0 win for Italy, courtesy of Gianluca Vialli).
  • Six of the last nine matches between Spain and Italy have been goalless at half-time.
Spain
  • If Fernando Torres scores he will match Fernando Hierro's tally of 29 goals - only Raul (44) and David Villa (51) have score more for Spain.
  • Xavi had the best pass completion rate (94.9%) in Euro 2012 qualifying.
  • No side has successfully retained the European Championship. The USSR and West Germany reached the final as defending champions, losing in 1964 and 1976 respectively.
  • The Spanish have won 14 competitive games in a row since losing to Switzerland in their 2010 World Cup opener.
Italy
  • The Azzurri had the best defensive record in qualifying, conceding just two goals in nine completed games (their match at home to Serbia was abandoned after just six minutes).
  • Gianluigi Buffon saved 92.9% of shots he faced - the best record in Euro 2012 qualifying.
  • They lost their Euro 2008 opener to the Dutch 3-0 - their heaviest defeat at a major international tournament since the 4-1 loss to Brazil in the 1970 World Cup final.

Yeah,agree with that pretty much. But think Barca and Spain's systems works better with someone ahead of the attacking midfielders making runs and creating space.

That's not a thread :rolleyes:

Where's the match facts :D

I'm sure you fuckers are hiding the threads from me until I post one :D

Back
Top Bottom