• Portugal normal play

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Spain normal play

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Portugal on penalties

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain on penalties

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Neither, Both teams will go out and get drunk instead.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Such tight margins: Alvez' penalty was about a centimetre from going in and Fabregas' one was about a centimetre from bouncing out.

I'm not Barcelona's biggest fan, but at least their tiki-taka has an aim aside from starving the other team of possession and killing the game as a spectacle. I hope the Germans, unlike the Portuguese and the Croats make the best of what opportunities come their way.

I am glad the two best teams may play in the final.Spain have not played as well as they can so far.so lets hope for a german spanish final and a good game of football

I don't think Germany are going to let them get away with that casual passing about the ball in their own box,I'm sure panic and row Z will be the order of the day.
I don't think Germany are going to let them get away with that casual passing about the ball in their own box,I'm sure panic and row Z will be the order of the day.
I think you're underestimating spain and overestimating germany here. Spain stepped up a couple of gears tonight against a strong portugal side. Gernany have been average against weak Dutch and Danish teams. In fact, the group of death turned out to be the group of rigamortis. Germanys game against greece was a mismatch. I'm still waiting for them to face a decent side. It happened last 2 major tournements, germany showed flashes of brilliance against mediocre teams then get dumped out at the first sign of real opposirion. Their first acid test will be tomorrow, and if they overcome it, I don't think spain will be quite the walk in the park people are predicting.

I am glad the two best teams may play in the final.Spain have not played as well as they can so far.so lets hope for a german spanish final and a good game of football
In what sense have Spain "not played as well as they can"? They won the world cup with a series 1-0 wins, despite all the penetration of a plastic argos picnic knife, after systematically starving every other team of possession for the duration of the tournament. This is it.

I think you're underestimating spain and overestimating germany here. Spain stepped up a couple of gears tonight against a strong portugal side. Gernany have been average against weak Dutch and Danish teams. In fact, the group of death turned out to be the group of rigamortis. Germanys game against greece was a mismatch. I'm still waiting for them to face a decent side. It happened last 2 major tournements, germany showed flashes of brilliance against mediocre teams then get dumped out at the first sign of real opposirion. Their first acid test will be tomorrow, and if they overcome it, I don't think spain will be quite the walk in the park people are predicting.
Spain stepped up a gear when the Portuguese were physically shattered from trying desperately to make a football match against a game-killing negativity machine for 90 minutes. Fuck their boring, cynical football, hope the Germans give them a proper shellacking.

I started off a lover and ended up a hater with this game.
I loved the first half and thought that we could win, second half doubt crept in, by ET I was thinking we'd lose it, then it went to penalties...I knew it was lost. :(

Second half was shit, but the rest of the game was pretty good.

Ronaldo, though. LOLarama. He wanted it to be all about his penalty. Bless.

Has Llorente done something to Del Bosque's family? The most in-form Spanish striker, a guy who offers something genuinely different and he's constantly overlooked. We look good but minus Villa there's nothing happening up front.

Negredo's always been suspect - Torres would be a better bet, even in current form

Second half was shit, but the rest of the game was pretty good.

Ronaldo, though. LOLarama. He wanted it to be all about his penalty. Bless.
Given the importance of the game I'd have had him kick early. After all better to get it won than to piss about!

Given the importance of the game I'd have had him kick early. After all better to get it won than to piss about!
Absolutely. Why was he not first? Sums his weakness up really. He's such a great player, but the biggest twat in football. Yes, I include Joey Barton in that analysis.

Absolutely. Why was he not first? Sums his weakness up really. He's such a great player, but the biggest twat in football. Yes, I include Joey Barton in that analysis.
I can understand his frustration at not getting a kick though. I don't understand why they keep a player in reserve, get the bloody game won!

magneze said:

Seemed really stupid to me. Reading the interviews they had planned it. The first penalties are the more nervy. Still may not have been a different result had he gone first but still.....

Has Llorente done something to Del Bosque's family? The most in-form Spanish striker, a guy who offers something genuinely different and he's constantly overlooked. We look good but minus Villa there's nothing happening up front.

Negredo's always been suspect - Torres would be a better bet, even in current form
He's not the most in-form Spanish striker, Negredo is. (even though I prefer Llorente)

Seemed really stupid to me. Reading the interviews they had planned it. The first penalties are the more nervy. Still may not have been a different result had he gone first but still.....
Maybe they are more nervy, but get someone on who can cope with the pressure and score. This would, surely, put pressure on the other team too.

dessiato said:
Maybe they are more nervy, but get someone on who can cope with the pressure and score. This would, surely, put pressure on the other team too.

That is what I was getting at.

Yep - send your best two out first. Get an early lead in the shootout that will ease the pressure on your numbers 3 and 4... Oh wait.

Negredo was useless, talk about having a statue up front. Llorente's lack of minutes (i.e 0) is baffling.

Negredo was useless, talk about having a statue up front. Llorente's lack of minutes (i.e 0) is baffling.
Saving him for the final? I can understand the logic of this, assuming you are very confident that you are going to win. But I feel that each match has to be won, and, therefore, you should play that way. Get the best men onto the pitch get each game won before you worry about the next.

Llorente is more gifted than Negredo and in better form than Torres. Yet isn't played. There's something up there....and it can't be pure tactics as he's got a great touch into his feet and offers and aerial threat.

Cazorla's another coming off a fantastic season who we've barely seen. Okay we have Silva but to use Navas and Pedro but not Santi in a game again seems odd.

Mata is another who hasn't seen the pitch yet. Granted he's in a position owned by a combination of Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Fabregas, Navas and Pedro (not much talent in the Spanish "attacking midfield" then) but he's a cracking alternative.

I don't know much about football but I did not understand why Spain did not put Torres on in the second half, it seemed what they needed was a striker and he was there and ready. That said it seemed they had enough shooters for the penalties at the end.

Back
Top Bottom