Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Salmond, Alba, and Direct Action

Ex-boxer joins the 'fight'. I'd never heard of Alex Arthur before , is he a big sporting hero in Scotland? If he is a Scottish celebrity, this reminds me of the 'celebs' who joined the Brexit party and ran for it at the last Euro Elections.

Last edited:

Ex-boxer joins the 'fight'. I'd never heard if Alex Arthur before , is he a big sporting hero in Scotland? If he is a Scottish celebrity, this reminds me of the 'celebs' who joined the Brexit party and ran for it at the last Euro Elections.

I suggest you check the thread in the Scotland forum. He's been outed as a racist and anti-vaxxer within hours of being "unveiled" as a candidate for the Sleepy Cuddles party.

If you don't know anything about boxing, I'm pretty sure you'll never have heard of Alex Arthur. He's not a celebrity by any measure.

Ex-boxer joins the 'fight'. I'd never heard if Alex Arthur before , is he a big sporting hero in Scotland? If he is a Scottish celebrity, this reminds me of the 'celebs' who joined the Brexit party and ran for it at the last Euro Elections.
I’d never heard of him.

I suggest you check the thread in the Scotland forum. He's been outed as a racist and anti-vaxxer within hours of being "unveiled" as a candidate for the Sleepy Cuddles party.

If you don't know anything about boxing, I'm pretty sure you'll never have heard of Alex Arthur. He's not a celebrity by any measure.
Ta ! Will do , I did say 'celeb' tbf , and I was curious about whether he was well-known in Scotland. The racism & anti-vax stuff still makes him similar to Brexit party candidates though.

Ex-boxer joins the 'fight'. I'd never heard of Alex Arthur before , is he a big sporting hero in Scotland? If he is a Scottish celebrity, this reminds me of the 'celebs' who joined the Brexit party and ran for it at the last Euro Elections.
Mostly irrelevant, but that just reminded me of this odd bit of history: The Jewish Boxing Champion Who Fell in With Britain's Fascists (not suggesting any direct parallel with Alba)
Anyway, every time I see the thread title it keeps making me hope that it's going to be about someone taking direct action for Scottish independence by throwing Alex Salmond in a bin or something.

His statement

Holyrood “should issue an instruction to the Scottish government to begin negotiation for Scottish independence” with Westminster immediately after the election, he said, as he launched a new “declaration” in Ellon, Aberdeenshire, a town he once represented as an MP.

That could include legal action, mass demonstrations or unauthorised plebiscites to ensure Westminster listened, he said.

“Whatever the tactic that is decided upon, it has enormously more chance of creating an impression on Westminster, of bending Westminster to the will of the Scottish people, if there’s a massive super-majority of independence-supporting MSPs in that parliament. And that is what this election is about.”

His statement

Holyrood “should issue an instruction to the Scottish government to begin negotiation for Scottish independence” with Westminster immediately after the election, he said, as he launched a new “declaration” in Ellon, Aberdeenshire, a town he once represented as an MP.

That could include legal action, mass demonstrations or unauthorised plebiscites to ensure Westminster listened, he said.

“Whatever the tactic that is decided upon, it has enormously more chance of creating an impression on Westminster, of bending Westminster to the will of the Scottish people, if there’s a massive super-majority of independence-supporting MSPs in that parliament. And that is what this election is about.”
Which is not what you were claiming a few days ago. This is exactly what SNP policy used to be (except for talk of the Scottish Parliament and the buzzword “supermajority”) before devolution. He’s going back to that.

Back
Top Bottom