Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Salmond deid

I assumed so. While I wasn’t impressed with Alba, I’d imagine that the prospect of anything substantial emerging to the left of Labour in Scotland isn’t going to be helped with the SNP reassuming hegemony over nationalist politics.

Alba if anything drew the right wing faction away from the SNP. Those who had represented the mainstream Andrew Dewar Gibb / Wendy Wood / Ewing dynasty version of Scottish Nationalism which dominated the party’s world view until Billy Wolfe, and re-asserted itself after the 1979 failure under Gordon Wilson’s leadership.

Known for their transphobia but deeply socially conservative more generally. It doesn’t take much to irritate the haemorrhoids of an elderly membership, who partly yearn for old certainties from a vanished industrial Scotland, but also find solace in language, Celticist & cultural obscurantism.

It may take a while but they will disappear. They did have a fringe Salmond personality cult vote and with him gone they don’t even have that.

Well that’s the end of the ‘Alba Party’ then.

Salmond was an interesting politician in the 80s and 90s. Since then, not so much, and the revelations regarding his handsy entitlement & sexual incontinence really did tarnish the last decade of his existence in most people’s eyes.
I think you may be right there.

He stole some chips from me when I was 17; he was wandering around Dundee campaigning, and he came up and grabbed a handful of chips, and asked us how we were voting. We said we were 17 and couldn’t vote, and he left.

Guess I’m never getting compensated for the chips then.
One of the best posts I've ever read on urban was a very old post about TopCat splodging chips on Martin Webster's head. Do any other urbs have chip-based anecdotes about vaguely notable figures of UK politics from the last few decades?

One of the best posts I've ever read on urban was a very old post about TopCat splodging chips on Martin Webster's head. Do any other urbs have chip-based anecdotes about vaguely notable figures of UK politics from the last few decades?
Indeed I do.

Cm7dG-UWAAAuopp.jpg:large

Corbyn mania

Amidst the veneration of St Corbo of Islington portrayed here, you can also see one of Urban's finest more interested in his chips (in front of the Ice Cream van). :oops:

What absolute tosh. Public figures, especially politicians, are fair game for humour, alive dead or somewhere in between.

I note that you posted on the thread to celebrate the anniversary of Thatcher's death and didn't then object and get upset for Carole and Mark.
Are you a member of the Thought Police? Why are you going through all my past posts?

Are you a member of the Thought Police? Why are you going through all my past posts?
I didn't go through 'all' of your past posts. I went on a thread created to celebrate a death to see if you contributed. You did, though not in a particularly celebratory way to be fair, but not in a censorious way either.

I served him at the tills a couple of times at Scotmid (, just remembered they do funerals too)

Always seemed gubbed (exhausted, steess, morose)
He almost always bought one of the few items on sale that had a saltire on the packaging, which really gave me the impression that he was serious about it, man.

I remember when he started his Scottish produce thing - initially he went after Sainsbury and they did respond positively, stocking a lot more Scottish produce.

In return, he started shopping there much more often. Indeed, I'd often see his official car and driver waiting outside and meet him doing his shopping at my local store on Friday nights/Saturdays on his way back to Strichen or wherever for the weekend.

Salmond's last speech a couple of hours before his death. Quite eerie, really- a compendium of lines I've heard from him many times in the past. And like many of the social-democratic pro-democracy lines, uncomfortably antiquated in a populist, post-digital era.

He really doesn't look well and is huge compared to the last time I saw him on TV around covid times.

He dropped dead during lunch at some youth political conference in North Macedonia, apparently, not sure if this means he will go to Politician Valhalla

Oh, I am shocked, I see Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh, the ex Tory, Labour SNP and now Alba member was with Alex on his trip abroad.......

Back
Top Bottom