Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand on Revolution

You've done the very thing people have been accusing brand of doing. Did you listen to what they had to say in the video? Did you hear them talk about their campaign or have you just looked at the image?
Its worse than that. Even if Brand was 100% sincere, didn't have dodgy links and wasn't an egotist this would be happening. He would despite his best efforts be helping to sideline the "incredibly strong people" running an " incredibly strong campaign". Both his supporters and detractors would make it about him. I guess this post is as guilty of that as anything.

What the fucking fuck - I know I meant to ignore this stuff...but what are we to make of this video image - our hero surrounded by three photogenic 'mums', beaming in his direction - this is spurious, pop-videoing glamourising protest - a fucking travesty ...

Two beaming mums, and a third looking like Russell's self-promotion has given her indigestion. :)

which also begs the question - why THIS cause above others of similar outrage. Colour me sceptical but I am detecting a certain amount of bullshit here.

It's sort of local to him, like E15 Focus is.

I don't believe he's a self-aggrandising cunt (a view certain posters of little brain have tried to attribute to anyone critiquing Russy-Wussy), although I'd willingly stake a bet on his marketing people being that crass. I think he's just not put much thought into what the negatives of his involvement might be with regard to attaching himself to those specific causes - both for himself and the causes.
As for his book. It's entertaining - as I said many dozens of pages ago, it's a stream-of-consciousness belch of politics, rather than a manual for revolution, and to treat it as such a manual, or Brand as an icon of revolution does a disservice to the book and to the man.

Does anyone think that regardless of foppish libertarians like rb writing articles and even a book with a daring title (i dont think it lives up to it to be honest...), some halfhazard (and so far, pretty inneffective protesting) and people sparring on the Internet, there really will BE a revolution?? I fucking hope so!!

A daring title? Have you been drinking wino piss? It's not a "daring title", it's deliberate titillation of the reading public, probably thought up by his publisher's marketing dept.

Why the scarequote around the word 'mums'?

I suspect that campanula is pointing up the way that the women are being represented by Mr. Brand. IMO (and it's only my opinion, not a claim) such representation can be used both ways - it can represent mothers as the everyday heroines that so many of them are, but it can also be used to represent them as residualised appendages - and the media often goes for the easier interpretation. If they do, then the mums get faded into the background while Brand pontificates for the cameras.

WOW! that's a seriously incredible post.

I could be wrong...

It's often the way.

...but the new era campaign was started and led by women (the three women in the video?). It was an incredibly strong campaign led by incredibly strong people, and you in a couple of sentences have reduced these women who battled incredibly fucking hard to win their victory to brand appendages in their own campaign.

In my reading, campanula has done the exact opposite, and pointed out that there's a very real risk of Brand's barnstorming reducing them to appendages.

BTW, could you say "incredibly" a few more times, just for anyone who missed the first shower?

You've done the very thing people have been accusing brand of doing. Did you listen to what they had to say in the video? Did you hear them talk about their campaign or have you just looked at the image?

Read campanula's post. It tells you all you need know if you actually read it, rather than just react to it.

I left school without any qualifications. Your point is?

I think that his point is that he's playing the poor thickie in contrast to P's M's erudition.
Which means that nice one entirely missed the dozens of pages of discussion about the fact that people can very easily be erudite, knowledgeable and expert while having no qualifications whatsoever.

;)

I think that his point is that he's playing the poor thickie in contrast to P's M's erudition.
Which means that nice one entirely missed the dozens of pages of discussion about the fact that people can very easily be erudite, knowledgeable and expert while having no qualifications whatsoever.

;)

Oh, he 'knows his place.' The fool.

Are you still being pickmans?

Left school with no qualifications still got no qualifications (save for cscs card and pat testing certificate) and I'm getting a telling off from a university librarian about having a limited vocabulary.

Class act

Playing the prole card for all it is worth really is a "class act". You're playing a role.

ftr Brand has previously posed with men..

3F067639-DF74-3CDA-E97B9C3FB5664AD8_zps05317160.jpg

Bloke in the sweatshirt on the far left of the picture is blatantly saying "FFS Brand, put it away! We don't need to be seeing that!".

Back
Top Bottom