Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand on Revolution

A Che t-shirt is to be expected at a certain age, as is a political tattoo, but a "Russell Brand as Che" t-shirt? You'd deserve to have your bollocks kicked so hard that your sac ruptured for that sort of twattery!!!
theres a great photo out there that I have been unable to google. It's galloway next to some fan art, done in that four square panels with different colours but a face silhouette style- warholish. It's got flaming galla, chavez and two others in it. Galloway is beaming merrily next to it in the flesh. copliker I bet you have it somewhere

Reactions: Sue
can't really mock, I had the che t-shirt (longsleeve, olive colour background) and I've got the hammer n sickle tattooed on my right arm. I regret nothing!
I have a Che tshirt and also a 'don't tread on me' Metallica one. I know someone who gets hold of stuff seized by customs and he passes some of it on to me. The worst haul was a batch of Counting Crows 'live' cds. There was someone dressed up as Che at the last big demo here; scraggly beard, beret, badges, mismatched camo, but no cigar - a loudhailer instead of a cigar. Why bother if you're not going to do the cigar? And are our homegrown revolutionary bigwigs not good enough? Why not dress up as Napper Tandy or something.

theres a great photo out there that I have been unable to google. It's galloway next to some fan art, done in that four square panels with different colours but a face silhouette style- warholish. It's got flaming galla, chavez and two others in it. Galloway is beaming merrily next to it in the flesh. copliker I bet you have it somewhere
I'm sure it's been posted on here. Any volunteers to trawl through all 'galloway' search results?

I think it was featured on the thread where it was mentioned that he was selling his house. Found it anyway.

george-galloway-pop-art.jpg

Last edited:
george-galloway-pop-art.jpg

Google images 'galloway, che, chavez, painting'

A community activist conference that requires a celeb to publicise it in order for it to be a success is a bad idea doomed to failure.

A successful community activist conference would be rooted in, drawn from and directed by the community and publicity would be meaningless.

agreed. If i was involved in organising a conference of all the various groups fighting housing sell offs, rents hikes, bad management and upkeep etc i wouldn't even take brand's money, never mind asking him to do benefit shows up and down the country.

What though would you say if the brand supporters in the new era/e15 campaigns put forward a formal proposal to have him included in some form at this conference?

I'd say that I thought they won their campaigns not Brand, and that whilst I think his heart is in the right place he has some dodgy political ideas and may turn out to be more of a liability than as asset, the recent Brand wins his campiagn media coverage demonstrates that. That doesn't mean he can't be involved, just that he should stay in the background wherever possible (chequebook) and we should be looking to each other as tenants to drive forward the campaign, not celebrities.

What though would you say if the brand supporters in the new era/e15 campaigns put forward a formal proposal to have him included in some form at this conference?

Exactly what I've said on here unsurprisingly enough.

I've been here before, IRL, discussing celeb involvement/backing of stuff I've been involved in.

I argued (largely) the same then too.

Iirc we turned down substantial donations in order to remain in full "self-management" of our stuff.

Is Brand releasing a film this year - titled 'Brand'?

I suspect he is in the grip of some delusional self-aggrandisement and will, inevitably, wander off once he has mined the celebrity activist theme for his own nefarious purposes. Brand's relationship to his fans and deserving causes (who decides which ones he supports?) is ultimately exploitative - he usurps the ideas and efforts of others and appropriates their struggles for his own enrichment. I detect not a whit of modesty or discernment in his grab for attention - he could, of course, have put his book on some open source site....but nope, this whole sordid episode is Brand, working for brand Brand. It is a bloody marketing exercise and most certainly nothing even slightly revolutionary.
For the first time since joining Urban, I will now be using the ignore option

Does anyone have a link where I can read this revolution book without the inconvenience of having to pay for it? (or more likely start to read it and then get bored and go back to reading Robert Rankin books on me kindle)

*cough cough* spent spineynorman a link.

eta: Anybody got a link for his footie book?

Last edited:
What the fucking fuck - I know I meant to ignore this stuff...but what are we to make of this video image - our hero surrounded by three photogenic 'mums', beaming in his direction - this is spurious, pop-videoing glamourising protest - a fucking travesty ...which also begs the question - why THIS cause above others of similar outrage. Colour me sceptical but I am detecting a certain amount of bullshit here.

Does anyone think that regardless of foppish libertarians like rb writing articles and even a book with a daring title (i dont think it lives up to it to be honest...), some halfhazard (and so far, pretty inneffective protesting) and people sparring on the Internet, there really will BE a revolution?? I fucking hope so!!

Russell's success. Interesting the difference between that Guardian article and the one I posted Thursday night before the deal was confirmed. At that point the Messiah was only a celebrity down the road who popped along to number 10 with them. He was part of the story. Less than a paragraph below the point where I imagine a lot of people would stop reading and a photo where he was one among many. Look at him now. He is the story. Top centre with a megaphone. The chosen image for the youtube video. According to other articles leading his revolution of which this is just the first victory. None of this is directly his doing, he may be sincere in his it "wasn't me it was the residents" schtick but who is listening to that. Are people really taking onboard your sentiment of working together or are they just getting behind the latest celebrity cause? Where does this leave the next of your real issues?

What the fucking fuck - I know I meant to ignore this stuff...but what are we to make of this video image - our hero surrounded by three photogenic 'mums', beaming in his direction - this is spurious, pop-videoing glamourising protest - a fucking travesty ...which also begs the question - why THIS cause above others of similar outrage. Colour me sceptical but I am detecting a certain amount of bullshit here.

Why the scarequote around the word 'mums'?

I'd say that I thought they won their campaigns not Brand, and that whilst I think his heart is in the right place he has some dodgy political ideas and may turn out to be more of a liability than as asset, the recent Brand wins his campiagn media coverage demonstrates that. That doesn't mean he can't be involved, just that he should stay in the background wherever possible (chequebook) and we should be looking to each other as tenants to drive forward the campaign, not celebrities.

the sentiments are definitely conciliatory but i'm assuming that's because you are speaking to, and would be working with, the brand supporters from new era/e15.

But essentially your saying the opposite of what you actually think of brand. You think he's a liability now (who may well change to become an asset) and we shouldn't trust him. Don't you think the new era people/e15 deserve to know why you think that of brand?

what do you think of the women in that video?

Why the scarequote around the word 'mums'?

Because these mothers are both young, photogenic but maternal - the fact that they are parents does simultaneously limit but also enhance their sexuality (does RB only pose with women?)
I am finding it hard to put my finger on what is so offensive but I think it is not an accident that the New Era was selected above, say, the bedroom tax, asylum detentions or any number of significant issues - although I accept that as a standalone campaign, it has vaildity instead of a more nebulous and less focused action.

Does Caroline Lucas look somewhat uncomfortable and 'invaded'?

Back
Top Bottom