Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Privileged people calling less privileged people "stupid" doesn't seem to be working...

upload_2016-11-9_9-50-22-png.95230

going back to this table....i find it amazing that 35% of US voters earn $100,000+++ a year...and 66% earn $50k++++...and 85% earn $30k++++
Am i reading that right? If so Americans are a lot wealthier on average than I imagined...
Yes, although you need to factor in the 40% who didn't vote, most of whom will be below average income.

upload_2016-11-9_9-50-22-png.95230

going back to this table....i find it amazing that 35% of US voters earn $100,000+++ a year...and 66% earn $50k++++...and 85% earn $30k++++
Am i reading that right? If so Americans are a lot wealthier on average than I imagined...
Isn't that voters not Americans?

Reactions: CRI
Not unless things changed markedly between the taking of the 2014 Census and this year (edit: crossposted with other folks noting the red one is of voters, but I'll leave this here as it's actually quite good for comparison with the voter stats)

Personal_Household_Income_U.png

You're confusing two issues. Trump said overtly racist things, so anyone repeating them would be saying overtly racist things and would deservedly be called out as racist. That's a different issue to whether people were stupid to vote Trump (which they may have done for a variety of reasons).

Good point about there being two issues, I'm not sure you can blame people for suspecting that people voting for an explicitly racist candidate might be comfortable with racist views though.

I'm also not convinced it's just the complaint of people being stupid to vote Trump that is criticized. There's quite a lot of sneering at less-left-wing opinions in general. The thread title might equally have read "Left wing people calling less left wing people "stupid" doesn't seem to be working ... "

Democrats, Trump, and the Ongoing, Dangerous Refusal to Learn the Lesson of Brexit

This is interesting; while I am not sure I am convinced Bernie would have won, it lucidly explains why Clinton lost with reference to both income, institutions *and* racism.... and I think it's pretty persuasive
Yes, but all this stuff about elites being given a good kicking really is laughable; have they not seen who has won and who (will) governs on who's behalf on both sides of the Atlantic?

Yes, but all this stuff about elites being given a good kicking really is laughable; have they not seen who has won and who (will) governs on who's behalf on both sides of the Atlantic?

More like the real elites gave uppity liberal elites a kicking for lecturing them to be right on whilst enjoying their wealth.

That article is referring to political elites of the type mentioned in the first paragraph, not social elites. Trump may be considered the latter but in no way the former.
True, but I'm coming at this from a base-superstructure position. Political elites merely represent aspects of capital, and it strikes me that those who no longer want to offer any sugar around the pill have certainly given the sticking plaster brigade a kicking.

That article is referring to political elites of the type mentioned in the first paragraph, not social elites. Trump may be considered the latter but in no way the former.
Doesn't change much wrt brogdale's post. He will govern on whose behalf? It will be interesting to see how he handles not being able to do practically any of what he's promised to do even if he wanted to cos he doesn't have the power to do it. Someone will be blamed, no doubt, and that's where it could get very nasty indeed.

Doesn't change much wrt brogdale's post. He will govern on whose behalf? It will be interesting to see how he handles not being able to do practically any of what he's promised to do even if he wanted to cos he doesn't have the power to do it. Someone will be blamed, no doubt, and that's where it could get very nasty indeed.
For much the same reasons that's almost certainly why May did not want any on-going inquiry into politically directed, militarised policing of direct action.

For much the same reasons that's almost certainly why May did not want any on-going inquiry into politically directed, militarised policing of direct action.
It will be very different from here, though. He won't be blaming miners or any other workers. He'll continue with the rhetoric that he is on their side, no doubt. Thatcher was the polar opposite to Trump in some ways - remember Keith Joseph telling workers that they'd priced themselves out of their jobs, and so it was their own fault and just tough shit? Trump's been using fascist-style rhetoric that appeals to the working class with rash promises of protectionism. When none of those promises is fulfilled, he needs to have been blocked by someone or a group of someones - a rich and powerful group of someones identified with the old corrupt elite he came to power to sweep away.

It will be very different from here, though. He won't be blaming miners or any other workers. He'll continue with the rhetoric that he is on their side, no doubt. Thatcher was the polar opposite to Trump in some ways - remember Keith Joseph telling workers that they'd priced themselves out of their jobs, and so it was their own fault and just tough shit? Trump's been using fascist-style rhetoric that appeals to the working class with rash promises of protectionism. When none of those promises is fulfilled, he needs to have been blocked by someone or a group of someones - a rich and powerful group of someones identified with the old corrupt elite he came to power to sweep away.
Yet the consequences of realisation on the part of the electorate could well look the same, and draw similar responses from the deep state.

Yet the consequences of realisation on the part of the electorate could well look the same, and draw similar responses from the deep state.
Yes, that's true. I wonder how Trump will respond to his first riot. (Although another difference is that a riot will be first a state matter rather than a federal one.)

Trump's been using fascist-style rhetoric that appeals to the working class with rash promises of protectionism. When none of those promises is fulfilled, he needs to have been blocked by someone or a group of someones - a rich and powerful group of someones identified with the old corrupt elite he came to power to sweep away.

Yes I've been wondering about that as well. Will the nature of US system (congress, the senate) give him the opportunity to lash out when he can't achieve any of what he's promised?

Yes I've been wondering about that as well. Will the nature of US system (congress, the senate) give him the opportunity to lash out when he can't achieve any of what he's promised?

Possibly not. And my guess is that he's going to be arse-deep in scandal very very quickly. He may be a lame duck president who achieves fuck all.

1. Look at the income line in this. Trump is not privilege vs unprivileged
Election 2016: Exit Polls
If you read the thread you'd see this has already been discussed, and Trump increased his vote in the lowest income bracket by 16% compared to Romney. That's significant, and if that swing was localised in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania then it probably won him the election.

To ignore that fact is just stupidity, but feel free and keep losing.

NB// based on a voting-age potential electorate of 225,778,000, and projected turnout of 135,000,000, this year's turnout would be a little under 60%, higher than usual but not extremely so. Of the 40% who didn't, the vast majority are, as usual, from poorer socio-economic backgrounds.

Imv all other calculations and analysis should stem from this. When you talk about X percentage of working class people turning to Trump for answers for example, what it actually means is X percentage of working class people who could vote, who felt the system was worth voting in, turned to Trump as the only viable candidate other than Clinton.
It'd be interesting to see the change in turnout broken-down by income.

About not tolerating racism/sexism/homophobia, how about we start here on U75.

Its all very well for some posters to call those who didn't vote apologists for racists but when they are also willing to excuse the clear bigotry directly in front of their noses then they can fuck off quite frankly.

Possibly not. And my guess is that he's going to be arse-deep in scandal very very quickly. He may be a lame duck president who achieves fuck all.

Hard to imagine him not feuding with Congress by the time he's been in office a few months, along with GOP governors, etc - it might not seem like it right now but the Republican Party as we know it is already dead, Trump is just going to spend the next few years abusing the corpse.

Does it?

How many more "shock results" are we going to need to get this?

I know: but what do you say about people who rightfully crave change in an unequal and unfair system - but who choose for their savior a billionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who shits in a golden toilet in a Manhattan highrise with his name emblazoned across the top, who hides his taxes and who is indebted to foreign banks to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars?

Does it?

How many more "shock results" are we going to need to get this?
Well given how many decades the "left of Labour" have been doing it while making zero electoral impact one can assume the message will not get through.

Still if this is a reference to Clinton, she won 59,600,000 odd votes. I guess its slightly less harmful to her than the British "left". ;)

I am sure you are on hand to offer the keys to your electoral communication success. Maybe you won a vote for milk monitor or something.

Will be the political elites* who get blamed again for blocking him.

And if I am feeling negative that's an argument for constitutional change and an erosion of checks and balances; rebranded as vested interests protecting the status quo

(*and foreigners/Muslims/the poor)

If you read the thread you'd see this has already been discussed, and Trump increased his vote in the lowest income bracket by 16% compared to Romney. That's significant, and if that swing was localised in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania then it probably won him the election.

To ignore that fact is just stupidity, but feel free and keep losing.
And if you read the thread you'll see I was made aware of that and it was discussed again

But carry on and keep being a sanctimonious asshole.

NB// based on a voting-age potential electorate of 225,778,000, and projected turnout of 135,000,000, this year's turnout would be a little under 60%, higher than usual but not extremely so. Of the 40% who didn't, the vast majority are, as usual, from poorer socio-economic backgrounds.

Imv all other calculations and analysis should stem from this. When you talk about X percentage of working class people turning to Trump for answers for example, what it actually means is X percentage of working class people who could vote, who felt the system was worth voting in, turned to Trump as the only viable candidate other than Clinton.

A presidential election with more extensive coverage than ever before about the two party candidates.

Reported turnout at 53% - 119,250,000. The turnout is 10 million LESS than in 2012 (even though the eligible electorate has gone up by about approximately 4 million since 2012), that in itself was much less than 2008.

In fact % turnout is so low that you have to return to 2000 to get a lower percentage turnout.

And with the exception of 1992 - 1996 Perot insurgency, in the post-war period, Trump has won the Presidency with the smallest percentage of popular vote and the smallest percentage of votes of the electorate - 25.5%.

I think - a hunch only - that Candidate Clinton's proximity to power and the US political system was fatal - many of all sorts of colours - simply did not turn out for her.

A presidential election with more extensive coverage than ever before about the two party candidates.

Reported turnout at 53% - 119,250,000. The turnout is 10 million LESS than in 2012 (even though the eligible electorate has gone up by about approximately 4 million since 2012), that in itself was much less than 2008
Where are you getting that turnout figure from sihhi, I've been looking for one and had trouble finding it.

Back
Top Bottom