Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Plane crashes onto A27 at Shoreham Air Show

No you don't. You very clearly ask it as a question. You diminish yourself every time you peddle this off-topic lie and attempt to insult Urban's collective intelligence in so doing. In fact, that could almost go as a definition for "bungling", to sit alongside the newly-minted "diamonding".
Oh fuck off. I know what I wrote because I fucking wrote it. You are obviously too stupid understand.

And it wasn't off topic to the conversation that was going on at the time, WHICH I DID NOT START, so stop fucking acting like I did.

This is fucking harassment you know. I am this close to putting in a complaint about it.

Don't bother with another of your shitty replies as I have zero interest in anything you have to say.

I've already put one irritant Ignore, would you like to be added to that list?

Oh fuck off. I know what I wrote because I fucking wrote it. You are obviously too stupid understand.

And it wasn't off topic to the conversation that was going on at the time, WHICH I DID NOT START, so stop fucking acting like I did.

This is fucking harassment you know. I am this close to putting in a complaint about it.

Don't bother with another of your shitty replies as I have zero interest in anything you have to say.

I've already put one irritant Ignore, would you like to be added to that list?
Rather than end up ignoring half of Urban, could you not just stop posting idiocies?

Especially on a current and somewhat sensitive thread.

CAA spokesperson on C4 News appeared very conscious of possible litigation and refused to comment on why the Shoreham show was apparently allowed to contravene CAA guidance.

Prosecution should be considered. People have died, and a loose regime of controls must have some significance in this. i doubt it will happen though, for those at the top in so many areas of UK public life seem to set the rules, waive them when convenient, and walk away unscathed when things go wrong.

Hope i'm wrong on this though.

I read today that the last time there was an accident at a UK air-show which caused non pilot fatalities was in the 50s at Farnborough, and following that incident regulations were tightened up and have been tightened a few times since.

There have been UK accidents since then, including the recent one at Chris Evans's northern car show, but only pilots have been killed.

I expect the CAA will tighten regulations again, though whether that makes them liable for prosecution for this accident remains to be seen. I do expect Shoreham will have had to have had some kind of public liability insurance for the show and wonder if that would be an easier route to getting some kind of compensation for the victims families.

Even by the internet standardsthis has been one weird arsed argument.
On topic...that was a grim accident.

I hope no rules were broken cos an accident due to just sheer bad luck is easier for survivors and loved ones of those that died to recover from
than having to cope with grief and outrage that comes from knowing that the loss of your loved ones was avoidable.

This is only my opinion and am not stating it as a fact.

I read today that the last time there was an accident at a UK air-show which caused non pilot fatalities was in the 50s at Farnborough, and following that incident regulations were tightened up and have been tightened a few times since.

There have been UK accidents since then, including the recent one at Chris Evans's northern car show, but only pilots have been killed.

I expect the CAA will tighten regulations again, though whether that makes them liable for prosecution for this accident remains to be seen. I do expect Shoreham will have had to have had some kind of public liability insurance for the show and wonder if that would be an easier route to getting some kind of compensation for the victims families.
Prosecutions aren't for getting compensation for victims: they're about establishing culpability of a crime.

Compensation payments should proceed independently of any prosecution, which will in any case take quite a while to come to court - at this stage nobody knows what, if any, offence has been committed, far less who committed it.

Oh and in a reference to discussion earlier in the thread the Hunter was apparently fitted with an ejector seat but it was not activated.

Oh and in a reference to discussion earlier in the thread the Hunter was apparently fitted with an ejector seat but it was not activated.

Do you have a link for that cos there's shitloads of speculation all over the place on tbe ejector seat issue.

Does 'not activated' mean it wasn't triggered by the pilot, or that the explosive charges on an old seat had been removed for safety reasons?

Seems open to misinterpretation either way...
Well the article piece specifically says:
The recovery operation has taken longer than anticipated as investigators on the ground discovered that the ejector seat of the Hawker Hunter jet had not been activated.

The teams on the ground had to be very careful not to trigger it themselves, a situation that would have been highly dangerous.
Which suggests the ejector seat was there, and was fully operational.

I suppose it is still possible that this piece is wrong.

Wouldn't ejecting have been a waste of time anyway? The plane was too low. And had the pilot ejected, god knows where the plane would have ended up - it could have been a whole lot worse.

Wouldn't ejecting have been a waste of time anyway? The plane was too low. And had the pilot ejected, god knows where the plane would have ended up - it could have been a whole lot worse.
Which suggests that the pilot stayed at the controls in an attempt to avert a bigger disaster at the possible cost of his own life.

Last edited:
that looks like being the case - certainly in the footage i've seen the aircraft does a significant 'wobble' as it emerges from the bottom of the loop but is still decending. that could be an aerodynamic surfaces failure, or it could be an indication of the pilot fighting the aircraft in order to produce a better result than the one he see's coming.

in relation to the ejector seat, my understanding from pictures and reports is that the fuselage broke in two immediately behind the cockpit upon impact with the ground, with the cockpit/nose shooting off forward, and the rest of the airframe - and all the fuel - staying where it hit the ground. the pilot was then rescued from the cockpit by people on the ground, so the ejector seat was not activated.

I think one of reasons it took so long to remove the wreckage was that they had to be sure the ejector seat didn't suddenly go off, could of killed anyone nearby.

Last edited:
Terrible weather conditions down here today have hampered the search op - we've been asked to remove some trees, either this evening or tomorrow morning, so the police can further their search away from the roadside.

the news are being out of order implying there could be more bodies when it's highly likely there are not, mawkish sensationalism

Probably a zero zero seat so could have ejected probably trying to save the plane though.

Terrible weather conditions down here today have hampered the search op - we've been asked to remove some trees, either this evening or tomorrow morning, so the police can further their search away from the roadside.
Blimey, doesn't sound like an enviable task. Hope all goes well with that.

the news are being out of order implying there could be more bodies when it's highly likely there are not, mawkish sensationalism

tbf I personally haven't heard of any news today suggesting there is, unlike yesterday, based on what the police did say. Plod have said today though that the deaths are unlikely to exceed 11. But until the search op has been completed 100%, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom