Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peak Oil (was "petroleum geologist explains US war policy")

As an aside, a compelling story about the financial collapse of 2008 puts this production limit at center stage. As supply failed to meet demand and prices rose (amplified by speculation, yes), the transportation, airline, tourism, automotive, and other directly related industries began to suffer and fold under pressure. The resulting economic slowdown deprived the sub-prime racket of oxygen, forcing the house of cards to collapse on itself. The racket worked as long as growth continued and housing prices did not falter. So we may have seen our first peak-oil economic disruption. The sub-prime tinder-box added to the pop. A recent article in Mother Jones touches on this interplay.

If for each year, we plot the amount of resource produced in that year as a fraction of the total resource extracted to date against the total extracted resource, a logistic function makes a straight, descending line intercepting the horizontal axis at the value of the ultimate resource. The peak production rate occurs at the half-way point along the trend. By contrast, constant-growth exponentials (infinite resource) follow a flat line: same fractional production every year. Below are four such examples for prized Pennsylvania anthracite coal, British coal, U.S. oil (including Alaska), and global oil.

uk-coal-1024x768.png

world-logistic-oil-1024x768.png

For global oil resources (all liquids), we have consumed 1.2 trillion barrels so far. The data did not follow a logistic path in its early years, but has done so for the past three decades. If this portion is predictive, it says that our total resource is about 2.4 trillion barrels, putting us half-way along (therefore around the peak of the logistic rate). This by itself is a weak prediction. But the discovery rate we have seen (peaking in the 1960′s) does not lay the groundwork for us to expect a radical departure from the logistic line any time soon.

Why am I prone to heed the conclusions of this report? In large part, it is because of the scale of the problem. A 3% per year decline of conventional oil (considered mild in many models/scenarios), requires that we replace 2.5 Mbpd of capacity each year. Canadian tar sands, for instance, were at 1.2 Mbpd in 2008, and are projected to reach 3–4 Mbpd by 2020. This represents an impressive growth rate of 10% per year. But a 3% decline beginning in 2015 will need five times the marginal oil represented by the gain in this expanding front-runner. Other methods are less ready to scale than tar sands. In the U.S. alone, a 3% decline represents about 42 GW of yearly power loss, requiring the equivalent of about one nuclear plant per week in gas-to-liquid plants, coal-to-liquid plants, and other major infrastructure investment. Not to mention that coal mining and gas production must scale up for the challenge (can they?). When have you heard of workers moving to coal country for employment?
Link

Off course from an American perspective the first decade of decline could probibly be managed by buying small cars. But the facts remain, we are very late in building a post oil infrastructure and even if we discount CO2 as an issue, non conventional liquid hydrocarbon sources will take a long time to ramp up.
The UK does have an expanding rail network but I cant help wonder if in ten years time we will be planning to shut down the outer lanes of the motorways and lay down rail tracks on them.
Still at least we have some modest wind farms under construction at 2010s energy prices.

US demand for petrol down 10%. So far down now that the US is exporting petrol, its refinaries are over capacity.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/05/news/economy/gasoline_export/index.htm

Used to be a two way trade between Europe and the US. Europe used far more diesel as a proportion of fuel and the US more petrol. As refinaries tended to not quite be able to get the right mix for the markets the US exported diesel to Europe and Europe petrol back.

Now it seems the US has excess capacity for refining. Ironic though that they are still importing large amounts of oil.

Ferrel, have you ever read J H Kunstler's "The Long Emergency"? I have and found it depressing but I think Kunstler's probably right.

Ferrel, have you ever read J H Kunstler's "The Long Emergency"? I have and found it depressing but I think Kunstler's probably right.
Not read the book, but am familiar with the theory. It seems about right to me too :(

Kunstler was on an anti suburbia hobby horse before he found peak oil. Now peak oil is his hammer to bang his favourite theme. Most of western Europe has seen major reductions in carbon dioxide output over the past 21 years. The UK has seen something like 25% drop in CO2 emissions. Peak oil is a huge problem, but it is not a problem without solutions.

Here in Europe the bulk of our urban landscape was built with some form of mass transit in mind. Here in the UK urban geography tends to be dense enough to make busses economic in most places. Things like electric bikes means a pretty average person can do a 30 mile round trip commute relatively easily.

The single biggest reason to be negative is lack of action not lack of solutions.

Kunstler was on an anti suburbia hobby horse before he found peak oil. Now peak oil is his hammer to bang his favourite theme. Most of western Europe has seen major reductions in carbon dioxide output over the past 21 years. The UK has seen something like 25% drop in CO2 emissions. Peak oil is a huge problem, but it is not a problem without solutions.

Here in Europe the bulk of our urban landscape was built with some form of mass transit in mind. Here in the UK urban geography tends to be dense enough to make busses economic in most places. Things like electric bikes means a pretty average person can do a 30 mile round trip commute relatively easily.

The single biggest reason to be negative is lack of action not lack of solutions.

Action will probably come too late, as not enough of either the political class or the public wants to believe there's a problem. Just as with climate change. And potential solutions will be blocked and hindered by those 'non-believers' among political elites and capital.

The UK has seen something like 25% drop in CO2 emissions.
point of order... 25% reduction is for all greenhouse gases, for CO2 itself it's more like 17%. Most of the difference being made up from the capping of landfills to trap and flare off (or use for power generation) landfill gas emissions (methane), along with a few other quick and easy fixes.

agree with the rest of your post though.

Action will probably come too late, as not enough of either the political class or the public wants to believe there's a problem. Just as with climate change. And potential solutions will be blocked and hindered by those 'non-believers' among political elites and capital.
unfortunately, I increasingly think you're right.

Good news from the U.S.A. New energy sources and increasing efficiency will bring greater stability to the world economy.

Growth in shale oil and gas supplies will make the US virtually self-sufficient in energy by 2030, according to a BP report published on Wednesday.

In a development with enormous geopolitical implications, the country's dependence on oil imports from potentially volatile countries in the Middle East and elsewhere would disappear.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jan/18/shale-oil-gas-us-energy-self-sufficient

Where to start? The IEA advises us we are five years from irreversible climate change. So the news of new sources of gas emissions is hardly "good news".

The report is by BP. BP has financial interests in shale oil and gas, and a responsibility to its shareholders to maximise their share value by constructing the imagery of abundance from statistical illusion. Their limitation is legality, not descriptive reality. I used to write this sort of crap for them.
"The main message is that we need to have an open, competitive energy sector, which encourages innovation and thereby maximises efficiency in order to enjoy energy that is sufficient, secure and sustainable into the future."

That's code for "don't tax or regulate us, or we shoot your puppy".

The law already provided a lot of latitude, and now provides even more. Regulation for estimating reserves was relaxed under Bush's government to allow operators to declare certain technologies from which they estimate reserves to be a commercial secret, thus preventing independent evaluation. Company value is driven essentially by booked reserves. The addition of unverifiable shale reserves is making shale operators a lot of money. That does not mean there are a lot of shale reserves.

Shale oil and gas production is an energy intensive process. BP persistently reports the gross production from such circus shows, not the net production after accounting for the energy it diverts for its own operation. At the scale referred to in this report, this is a very significant difference.

You can get gas out of anything, with sufficient capital. The issue is not whether the huge quantity of synthetic, unfundable debt capital generated by the recent Quantitive Easing programmes (a.k.a. "printing money") has generated modest volumes of gas from tight rock (it has). The issue is whether you can sell that gas for more than it cost you while absorbing the debt escalation. You can't.

Fractured wells in tight rock formations flow for a while and appear initially to be prolific (i.e. profitable). This reduces pressure, the fracture closes (frequently almost instantly), and the well must be continuously refractured. This is enormously expensive, and subject to diminishing returns (you can only do it so many times before wrecking the well and formation). BP's reports and economic projection are derived from the first generation of wells, before workover costs begin to mount.

There is innovation taking place in the shale sector, but it is financial innovation, not technical. Thus new accounting techniques are being employed to move e.g. land lease costs (a significant component) off the bottom line to artificially increase the illusion of profit.

Shale oil and gas is a speculative bubble driven by irrational profit seeking by a financial sector facing collapsing returns, fleeing traditional sources of investment and desperate to maintain returns. Put your money in tulips, and wait for the inevitable and spectacular crash.

The financial chicanery is irrelevant. What matters is the physical extraction of oil and gas combined with ever increasing efficiency.

A US self-sufficient in energy needs will have no reason to meddle in the Middle East.

The financial chicanery is irrelevant.
Well, to be specific, the 'financial chicanery' is irrelevant until the point where it becomes relevant. There isn't a lot of scope for oil field operations if you can't raise investment capital, return shareholder dividend, or pay wages and invoices. And you can't run oil field operations on an American Express card, at least - not for very long.
What matters is the physical extraction of oil and gas combined with ever increasing efficiency.
How sad, therefore, that efficiency is decreasing at an accelerating rate. I take it you are not aware of the demands of the IPAT identity, the difference between relative and absolute decoupling, and that we have achieved neither?

Clarification:
Efficiency of extraction is decreasing
Efficiency of consumption still has some slack in it, but not enough.

Yes. Energy demand is the product of energy demand per person and the number of people. Energy demand per person is going down very slightly in OECD countries, and up a lot in non-OECD countries (largely because OECD countries have exported all their energy intensive heavy industry to less efficient non-OECD countries, reducing total efficiency). Non-OECD population is four times larger and growing two times faster than OECD. Global energy demand per person, and in total, is rising rapidly and very much faster than any efficiency technology can compensate.

Energy supplies have been delivered at high efficiency for 100 years from conventional sources. That source is depleting at 10 per cent per year (halving every 7 years). Their replacement is coming from non-conventional sources which are an order of magnitude less efficient. The rate of efficiency loss through supply substitution exceeds any contribution from manufacturing efficiency gains, by orders of magnitude.

Both supply and demand are becoming less efficient. This is structural, not technological.

That source is depleting at 10 per cent per year (halving every 7 years).

When did that begin then? I recognise 10% decline rates in terms of certain oilfields, but not as an overall number for decline of total conventional supply. Do you have a graph that shows such declines?

Elbows - it begins almost immediately, but has been accelerating in the last decade. Chapter 10 of IEA's World Energy Report 2008 (link PDF) (p. 221-248) is a good tutorial on depletion rates and trends and well written.
It is necessary to estimate the underlying, or natural decline rate — the rate at which production at a field would decline in the absence of any investment — in order to ascertain how much capital needs to be deployed to sustain production or limit observed decline to a particular rate...The production-weighted average annual natural decline rate for the world as a whole is estimated at 9.0% — some 2.3 percentage points higher than the observed decline rate (p.244) ... At the world level, the increase in the production-weighted average decline rate over the projection period is about 1.5 percentage points, taking the rate to around 10.5% per year in 2030 (p. 248)
It's a production weighted number and is rising as the number of post-peak reservoirs increases.

The energy content of the gas shale discoveries is fairly insignificant in comparison - this is about 68 million barrels a day of lost production capacity in the next 20 years.

24o93qw.png

Thanks. Thats the sort of area where I've seen figures around 10% mentioned. But you made it sound like this annual 10% decline is being replaced entirely by non-conventional sources, and I don't believe that to be the case. Im not someone who is in denial about various peaks, but I do believe its important to be clear when we throw around figures. You know I've bumped heads with you in the past over the detail of timescale for doom, how much difference we can still make, etc. So I want us to be clear about what has happened to conventional oil production over the last decade. Its been a little while since I checked the figures, what would a graph showing conventional production levels look like? I was under the vague impression that it hadn't actually declined all that much yet, and unconventional sources have mostly been used to increase the total output rather than just keeping the total stable. Barring miracle discoveries this will change at some point, and I want to shout about it when it does, but I didn't think it had happened yet?

Im not a huge fan of IEA charts but they still give some strong clues so long as the 'wishful thinking' aspects of future projections are well understood.

20101111-world-energy-outlook-peak-oil.jpg

If this graph can be believed, the answer to my above paragraph comes down to whether the 'fields yet to be developed' have actually started to be developed since this graph was made. Are we plateauing or declining?

Elbows - you are quite right that this issue is subject to imprecision in the way we talk about it, and you are right to demand clarity. I think it is best understood with this graph:

ziomqu.png

All the conventional oil we've discovered is in green. Since it has declined at 5% per annum since it peaked in 1968, it is reasonable to project it forward. When you do that you get 1.9 trillion barrels. Since it is unreasonable to exclude the possibility of future conventional discovery you need to add something. I've added 300 billion barrels. The biggest undeveloped conventional play left is Iraq, which the USGS estimates Iraq is about 78. So 2.2 trillion assumes we can discover another 5 Iraqs of conventional oil (which I think is highly unlikely, but that keeps the analysis conservative). I've actually included a little bit of unconventional - that last little bump on the downslope is mostly deepwater offshore, now declining.

There is an infinite number of future production trajectories, but they are all constrained by the fact that you can't produce more than you have discovered. So the area under the red curve can't be more than 2.2 trillion barrels. The one I've shows assumes a normal distribution centred on 2009. This is a Hubbert curve. You can delay peak by pulling production forward, but that steepens decline. Assuming 1.65% growth, the latest you can maintain production growth is 2030, at which point production falls instantly to zero. This is physically impossible (reservoirs do not exhibit piston like displacement).

2rfx7pk.png

Oil demand has grown in recent history at 2% per annum. That's a doubling time of (70/2) 35 years. It is determined by population growth and per-capita energy consumption. BP and IEA differ, but 1.65% annual growth rate still doesn't get non-OECD to even half our standard of living in 30 years, so is conservative.

The gap between demand and the Hubbert conventional curve is the oil that must be discovered and mobilised (the dashed area). The actual production curve you will see going forward is a blend of the Hubbert curve accelerated by whatever they can achieve with incremental capital investment (thus steepening decline in a decade and worsening the economic impact of energy withdrawal) and non-conventionals (arctic, ultradeepwater, shale, biofuels, tar sand).

The slightly tricky conceptual jump is to understand that the Hubbert curve projects historical production. The historical production encodes the technology and commercial conditions from which it arose. So a Hubbert projection is a forecast of what you get assuming technology and economic conditions remain the same. The difference between the Hubbert curve and the demand curve is the amount by which technology and economic conditions have to improve relative to historical conditions. It is basically a measure of optimism.

It is, by definition, unconventional (our green graph accounts for all historical and reasonably foreseeable conventional conventional discovery). Since you know it takes 10 years between discovery and production, you can work out the non-conventional discovery rate you need to deliver this production and sustain gorwth. I've assumed 5 hypothetical 75 billion discoveries every five years, starting 5 years ago and shown the first 5 cycles. Mobilising 25 Iraqs buys you 14 years. They reckon at a push they may have mobilised most of the only Iraq we have in 14 years.

2yudcmb.png

We would have to recreate the discovery rate that was achieved in the late 1940's and sustain it indefinitely. That is net, of course - since unconventional oil has a fraction of conventional oil EROEI, gross volumes are substantially higher (I've not bothered to estimate since it is unrealistic). It is, of course, rate - they added billions of barrels of tar sand last year to world reserves (actually discovered in the 1920's but declared now to maintain the statistical illusion of discovery growth) but they need to establish a flow from it, which is impossible at these volumes.

The USGS, EIA and IEA (although the IEA are now coming clean) are hilarious. They take that gap and try to break it down into the wedges in your graph that correspond to some known or foreseeable physical production mechanism, from conventional right through to liquidising peasant's lunches to make aviation gasoline. They always end up with a category called some variation of "unconventional, unidentified". It is the euphemism in technical circles for "doesn't exist".

For extra points, you can convert that gap into kwH, and from there into equivalent solar, wind, biomass, etc capacity and work out the annual capacity delivery schedule you'd need to maintain to sustain energy growth. And you can multiply that by £/kwH, tonnes steel/kwH, land/kwH etc. to work out the capital investment and primary resource requirement (to a first approximation - that would neglect the additional capacity you would have to build to compensate for the hydrocarbon diversion to the manufacturing process, but we've discussed that). It's a lot.

Not accounted for here is domestic consumption growth in the major suppliers. For example, Saudi Arabian population growth is 1.5% per annum and energy demand growth is 5% per annum. They use 20% of their own production for domestic energy, including massive desalination. 40% of their water comes from aquifers which have dropped 150m and are believed to be near exhaustion, doubling domestic desalination oil consumption. They currently export 11 million barrels a day. At current export capacity (15 mmbd), domestic consumption growth will eliminate all Saudi export by 2030. They are building 16 nuclear plants within conventional missile attack range of Israel and Iran to safeguard their water supply, indirect evidence of the lack of confidence they have in their (state secret) conventional oil reserves.

Thanks for the detail, its good to get a refresher on this stuff since the years are flying by. And really thats my point, that the magnitude of the problem, and delicate position we are at in the journey right now, tend to create a sense of urgency and immediacy which can sometimes result in misleading posts or expectations.

Or to put it another way, this thread was started 8 and a half years ago. The situation has certainly evolved since then, but only by a few chapters in what seems likely a rather long saga. Starting off with a time when the Iraq war meant there was still a lot of fresh anger & attention being channeled at this stuff, coupled with the net taking off as a platform to learn more about the detail of peak oil. This, along with imminent timescales being projected for the moment of peak production, lead to a sense that something dramatic was about to unfold. But its not clear quite what we thought or hoped might happen, beyond mainstream recognition that peak oil was valid and imminent. What we actually got was perhaps a fair bit feebler. Steadily over a couple of years around the middle of last decade, we got a sort of mainstream acknowledgement of these issues, but in a way that keeps the issue low-key and usually isolated from other issues and not allowed to play its full part in the overall storyline. The price of oil became quite the story, and we had Gordon Brown trying to 'save the world' well before the financial crisis version of our Gord & saviour, when he announced the Saudi conference. But at the time they were still tiptoeing around the elephant in the room, the underlying oil issues were not discussed properly in public much, even when they were meeting do do just that. Then of course we got all the other economic stuff going on, and the story has mostly shifted to the demand side, austerity & financial woe, and peak oil still doesn't get to come out and dance centre stage.

So Im watching things like the present hang-wringing about capitalism, austerity, markets & ideology with interest, since the outcome of this stuff could well shape the next phase of this journey into dangerous energy territory. There is the question of how long we can bump along the plateau, both in terms of supply realities but also in managing to prop up the system & beliefs in general. How long can we forestall dramatic decline, and at what point can we have a sensible discussion, narrative & political direction which has resource realities acknowledged and catered for? So far it appears the mainstream, politicians etc are stuck in a very silly phase of 'ooh what are we going to do about growth?' where the issue of growth is not attached to the physical realities or real economy, but rather the financial and ideological realms. A rudderless discussion that serves only to demonstrate the crisis of confidence, whilst at the same time the participants dare not speak of the beast that has slain their god of growth. Wake me if this changes, until then I am liable to believe we only have the problem 10% solved with few clues as to where any of the remaining 90% is going to come from other than people coping as best they can in grim situations, getting through with a giddy and inefficient mix of grounded reality and delusional comforts.

Excellent posts guys.
One of the very best long-running threads on urban, right here :)

Cheers. By the way I wasn't on u75 much till some years after this thread began, and I was thinking back to what first alerted me to peak oil. To be honest I think it was quite likely to have been conspiracy theorist Mike Ruppert, whose 'beyond the wilderness' post-9/11 internet babbling were probably no less paranoid than the likes of Alex Jones, but at least they sometimes contained geopolitical analysis that was not 100% poop, and there was a focus on energy and economy which often encompassed peak oil. Ruppert broke eventually in a number of ways which I won't derail this thread with, but by then the detailed peak oil websites started to emerge and we had the likes of Matthew Simmons to promote the cause and make pretty scary slideshows. Of course eventually Simmons made strange and self-credibility-damaging comments about the Deepwater disaster, and then died, so we are now left without the man who did so much to encourage fears about the imminency of Saudi oil field production peak.

Anyways, in terms of mainstream peak oil revelations, I recall distinctly that it was actually the BBC Money Programme in 2003 that was my first glimpse of Peak Oil being given mainstream media attention for a brief moment. The not very subtle 'The War For Oil' went down rather well with me at the time and helped cement my worldview in a way that broadly mirrors this thread. It seemed to be confirming that the stuff Id been reading on the net in the prior year, and its been very easy to see many major world events that have happened since as fitting in nicely with the unfolding peak oil reality. Its a shame we can't find a way to convert the sense of feeling right, almost giddy that we are on the right track and have some kind of grip on 'the truth, and perhaps a little smug sometimes, into a useful form of energy! Because only a miraculous discovery will likely be enough to make us change our tune now and turn our expectations on their head. For every other scenario our minds will tend towards seeing peak oil as the explanation behind events even if its not dancing centre stage in the wider public narrative of the times.

Anyway, I found that money programme again on youtube, might be fun to watch it again now as its a few months older than this thread. This is part one, I won't bother linking to the rest as Im sure they will show up easily enough on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K5CvKK6jth4#!

I've just got through re-watching part 1. I thought Id have a look on the net and see how the Irish company that was on the show lusting after Iraqs oil have got on. As several part of their interim 2011 report make clear, it turns out they haven't had much fun in Iraq, ha. Ghana and offshore Irish resources are now part of their mix, although they still have a hard-on over the supposed raw potential of Iraq.

http://www.petrelresources.com/investor/files/Petrel_Resources_Interim_Report_2011.pdf

An example quote from this document for the lols:

After 14 years in Iraq it continues to frustrate. The economy remains fragile, as does the security situation. There is still no hydrocarbon law. As such, our legal position is in limbo on the 10,000 sq km area of ground in the Western Desert formerly known as Block 6. We will protect our interest in this block. The terms on offer in the recent 4th licencing round were very tough. Indeed in numerous instances we remain nonplussed as to how the super-majors will ever make money. We struggled to explain the financial logic behind bidding for low returns in projects which involved geological, as well as operational and political risks. Required economic rates of return have risen with the enhanced uncertainty of recent years. Politicians do not always understand that risk and reward are correlated, but the financial markets do.

Nigel "Lord" Lawson - prominent Climate Change Denialist and Chairman of the Trustees of carbon emitter lobby group 'Global Warming Policy Foundation' - on Radio 4 Today denying Climate Change, knifing renewables and plugging the shale gas stock bubble. Tony Juniper pointing out we are five years from irreversible climate change and observing that while it lasts, the bubble displaces (more expensive) renewable tech, INCREASING emissions.

We live in interesting times.

Back
Top Bottom