Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peak Oil (was "petroleum geologist explains US war policy")

I don't think it's all down to physics, and nothing to do with other factors. I think it has something to do with the other factors, within the constraints imposed by physics.

I'm intrigued - exactly which part of that statement do you disagree with? Are you now suggesting that economics, sociology, and politics can transcend physical reality? How peculiar does this world view get?
you seemed to be implying that the limitations are based on physics.

obviously at the extreme end of things, there is a limitation imposed by the total available energy resource combined with the conversion efficiency, but this is an essentially irrelevant limitation to the actual situation we're faced with. The area that is available to be used for renewable power generation purposes is limited by issues other than physics, and these issues have far more impact on the maximum likely renewable energy generation capacity than actual limitations imposed by the physics of the situation.

as an example, around 50% of all planning applications for wind farms are refused at the planning permission stage. So you could double that resource potential simply by removing all planning restrictions, and that's got nothing to do with physics.

Delicious straw man. The pre-Copernicans presumably felt the same about heliocentricity hypothesis. Assume, hypothetically, that you weren't aware that you were ignorant in this case (I'm sure you will concede there are things that you don't know you don't know). Then novel information would appear to have sod all relevance, yet you would be incapable of distinguishing between that which you knew to be irrelevant, and that which you did not know was relevant. That is the central problem of ignorance, and why curiosity is so necessary to protect us from it.
I've not had any new information, just you blathering on about luke warm baths.

I've asked you several times to spit out what you actually mean specifically, but you refuse to do this.

I've also pointed out exactly why your luke warm bath analogy doesn't work for this situation, but again you've not responded to this. So no it's not a straw man, you've been hiding behind a analogy that doesn't work for the last few pages, and refusing to actually address the point specifically or explain what exactly you're trying to say with your analogy.

In what way are thermodynamics and industrial metabolism "distortion of physics", as distinct from "physics"? Could it be that you label any aspect of physics which presents an inconvenience to your theories as a "distortion", as a device for marginalising it?

It was of no inconvenience to my theories at all, especially since I dont think you were presenting scientific knowledge that contradicts my view.

What I believe I was complaining about was your use of a particular branch of science as an analogy for something else, where the conclusions you were attempting to draw seemed to go way beyond the actual thermodynamic phenomenon in question.

I may reread recent posts and try to expand on this.

Just as I'm left with the impression that you are a "goldilocks" alarmist - the problem is just hot enough to generate enough alarm to mobilise support for your nostrum, but not so hot that your nostrum is precluded. So of course you need to attack the margin, because the margin is deeply inconvenient to your argument.

Do you really think I indulge in that sort of thing, have you not seen the state of my nostrum? I dont think I even have a nostrum because I entertain such a flip-floppily broad range of possibilities in my mind, most of my waffle here is about exploring a great spectrum of possibilities and the myriad of consequences. And the reason we clash is that you have a much clearer and certain view of exactly how this shit is going to go down. Your certainties are often just possibilities to me, but I dont dispute they are possible. I do not need to negate your stance in order to give mine room to breath.

you seemed to be implying that the limitations are based on physics.
Nope. I'm *stating* that the limitations are based on physics.

Flap your arms. You did not take off. That is a limitation based on physics. There are no social, economic, or political innovations that can alter that reality.

The only difference in your understanding that flapping your arms cannot sustain flight, and that sunbeams and summer breezes cannot sustain hydrocarbon powered, industrial agriculture generated life is that you understand flight physics adequately, but don't yet understand thermodynamic physics. Flight physics is intuitive enough to be empirically accessible to the layman, whereas thermodynamic physics is not and must be studied. And you appear not to have.

And at this point, I am bored of suggesting you spend a rainy weekend curled up with an introductory University textbook on a subject which would be both fascinating and transformative in your appreciation of a subject you clearly have an interest in. But without it, there can be no prospect of intelligent debate with you.

The conversion process is inherently and substantially lossy. Conversion works for now because we use a high grade energy source (hydrocarbon) to power the "uphill" flow involved in creating electricity, and can throw the large quantities away necessitated by the process (that's what the huge cooling towers are for that you see next to power stations - the inherent dissipation of conversion energy as low grade waste heat into the environment of the thermodynamic system). Note this loss isn't some technological inefficiency that you might hope could be solved by technology - it is a baked in property of the laws governing the universe, and irreducible.

You are asserting (knowingly or otherwise) that a low grade energy source is sufficient to power its own conversion from a low grade state to a high grade state - the equivalent of claiming that a bath can turn spontaneously from tepid water to ice cubes and hot water under the influence of the heat from the bathroom light. You are convinced this is possible because you are not paying adequate attention to the role high grade energy sources are playing in the flow reversal processes you incorrectly believe are self sustaining.

This is the bit that caused me to moan about scientific distortion, eg stretching concepts in directions I dont recognise as being part of the science of thermodynamics.

Despite touching on certain concepts which seem right if taken in isolation, there is something odd going on between these two paragraphs. Its as if the concept 'lossy' (inefficient) from paragraph one has managed to morph by paragraph two into either '100% loss' or perhaps the strange disappearance of the dimension of time that I have complained about before, in this case represented by the interesting use of the term 'spontaneous'.

Let us take the humble solar panel. It will convert a percentage of the sunlight available to it into electrical energy. Depending on what we do with that electricity, a further percentage of it will be lost. Over the lifetime of the panel, how much useable electricity will be obtained from it? How does that compare to how much energy was used to manufacture, transport & maintain the panel over its lifetime?

Do your thermodynamic riddles answer all of those questions? No, especially not how you presented it. If someone was making implausible claims about what level of energy they were getting out of a solar panel compared to what theoretical maximum amount of sun energy it could harness, eg getting anywhere near or beyond 100% efficiency, then perhaps some principals of thermodynamics would inform as to why the claim was so absurd. And certainly at various stages of manufacture the realities of how much energy is used in the manufacturing process, including that which is wasted, may be informed by thermodynamic theories, as will some of the numbers relating to losses at the storage, transmission and conversion stages of the electricity flowing from the panel.

But what it does not give us is the complete picture. You cannot use the rules of physics you mention to state that as a result of those truths there is a universal law that the useful energy delivered over the lifetime of a solar panel must always be less than the energy used to manufacture, transport, install & maintain it. You can use those rules and some others to do calculations that provide evidence one way or another as to this question for a particular panel, but the thermodynamic stuff you mention does not make these equations obsolete in the slightest, it encourages further enquiry rather than slamming the door.

You cannot use the rules of physics you mention to state that as a result of those truths there is a universal law that the useful energy delivered over the lifetime of a solar panel must always be less than the energy used to manufacture, transport, install & maintain it.
I'm not.

The energy used to manufacture, transport, install, and maintain a solar panel is a tiny fraction of the energy consumed by the thousands of global industrial manufacturing and industrial agriculture subsystems, without which its manufacture, transportation, installation and maintenance is impossible.

I'm stating that there is no configuration of solar panels which can replicate, from real time flows of low grade diffuse energy, the power demanded by those thousands of subsystems and currently supplied from high grade energy stocks accumulated over geological time. I'm further stating that this is a function of physics, and not of economics, sociology, politics, or industrial quantities of wishful thinking.

Look, this is not a subject that rewards speculation. Rather than telling me what you think physics can't do, come back after studying it and tell me what it actually can't, in terms derived from thermodynamics rather than gut feel. This is pointless.

Look, this is not a subject that rewards speculation. Rather than telling me what you think physics can't do, come back after studying it and tell me what it actually can't, in terms derived from thermodynamics rather than gut feel. This is pointless.

Its not pointless, its the heart of the action when it comes to our disagreements, and Id rather try and nail it this time.

I didnt speak of gut feelings, or of something physics cant do. I spoke of something you cant legitimately do with the physics in question, and Im sticking to it. If you wanted me to give a mini-lecture on thermodynamics then I would need to swot up and learn some things for the very first time, since I studied physics but it was 20 years ago now. However I know enough to say that our disagreement is not really about any particular theory along that branch of science at all, it is to do with quite how far the implications of these theories stretch.

If I did not recognise the very attractive energy densities fossil fuels offer, nor the energy inputs & lengths of time that went into their creation, or the rate as which humanity has guzzled through these stocks, then I would not be very interested in peak oil in the first place. And I probably already went on earlier this month about how the term sustainable energy really doesnt tend to look properly at the actual long term sustainability of a particular technology, all the things that can prevent it being sustainable. How can it when Its no secret that our reliance on all sorts of finite substances means we have no long term security in this regard at all.

So why are we at loggerheads? In general because whenever you try to paint the picture you seem to turn some of the variables into constants, miss some things out and count others twice. I'll come back to this later, but despite my science rust I think I will make another attempt to explain my complaint about your thermodynamic thing, in light of the recent way you put it.

I'm stating that there is no configuration of solar panels which can replicate, from real time flows of low grade diffuse energy, the power demanded by those thousands of subsystems and currently supplied from high grade energy stocks accumulated over geological time. I'm further stating that this is a function of physics, and not of economics, sociology, politics, or industrial quantities of wishful thinking.

Sticking to the scientific principals rather than the results of calculations is what Im getting at. There is no thermodynamic law that states that the total amount of useful energy we can extract from fossil fuels per period of time absolutely must be higher than the amount we could get from solar panels over the same time period. If it happens to be the case its due to a myriad of factors including where humans direct their efforts.

Thermodynamic principals do not alone fully inform us as to how much energy we could end up with from solar, though in conjunction with other scientific understanding it can help provide a maximum. Its true that no wishful thinking can overcome that maximum, but you take the point much further than that, you make it seem implicit that the maximum must be rubbish. Likewise the amount of energy from fossil fuels that we are able to lay our hands on right now is hardly the result of a simple calculation that insinuates that long geological processes must be assumed to be a much better collector of energy than anything we can muster for ourselves.

Again I want to stress that Im not implying anything about the actual quality of renewable technologies, or fossil fuels. Im talking about the difference between statements that implicitly follow on from a particular scientific law, and conclusions that can only be drawn by performing measurements using actual data and taking other things into account.

There is no doubt that the challenge of getting alternative energy sources to scale up to anything even vaguely approaching what we enjoy today is immense. But there is nothing in thermodynamics that automatically precludes the possibility of scaling these technologies up to a pretty impressive level. You seem to think that by bringing the entire world and all its systems and all our current sources and uses of energy into the equation at whatever level suits, whacking it on one side of the balance sheet to further illuminate the possible scale of the energy deficit, that you have a magic trump card. One that enables you to zoom in on any single detail of our plight, cast it in concrete and declare it to be supported by science. Sometimes it may be fine to do so, but you push it way too far not to comment repeatedly, why are you tying up variables and forcing them to wear a fixed grin? And in such a fickle manner, its not as if you are in denial about whether any of these variables are factors that make the equation look gloomy, but you pick and choose when to bind them and when to set them free, whatever works for a particular inflexible point you are trying to make.

The energy used to manufacture, transport, install, and maintain a solar panel is a tiny fraction of the energy consumed by the thousands of global industrial manufacturing and industrial agriculture subsystems, without which its manufacture, transportation, installation and maintenance is impossible.

I would like to see this assertion quantified.

And from the other direction, what is the base minimum level of civilisation required to make the continued production of solar panels possible? If the human race did nothing but feed itself and make solar panels, what would the under or overshoot of energy production be?

I'm not.

well here we'd agree then.

I too know that solar panels alone can't power the entire industrial system.

I've never argued that they can,in fact I've put a lot of numbers out over the years that show exactly that.

As part of a mix of onshore and offshore wind, hydro, tidal, tidal stream, biomass, biogass, and probably some waste to energy, backed up by HVDC grid interconnectors with Norwegian Hydro, Icelandic geothermal and hydro, and CST from Spain and North Africa, plus a level of both uranium based nuclear and thorium based MSR and a small proportion of gas (and possibly even coal) back up.... then we can get to something in the region of the levels of energy generation needed to sustain something equating roughly to society as we know it (including the necessary industrial processes to maintain those energy sources).

Note that I'm not saying these sources can match current power provision levels, but I'm of the opinion that it's at least possible to sustain a reasonably functioning version of current society on something in the region of 25-50% of current energy inputs, which is the sort of level that could be achievable from the above means.

Also, note the word could in all this. I see bugger all evidence that we'll actually manage anything like this within my lifetime, as those in power are clueless fuckwits trained only in neoliberal economics and politics, with almost zero engineers or scientists among them.

My point in all these debates is to explain that us probably ending up utterly fucked in energy / climate change terms is a direct result of government policy, and NOT as a result of physics as you put it.

Blaming it all on physics lets us and the politicians off the hook IMO.

Blaming it all on physics lets us and the politicians off the hook IMO.

And blaming the politicians lets the economics off the hook.

That they are embracing renewables and rather dramatic 2050 targets at all suggests that lack of awareness is not the big issue. Much of the problem is that its awareness that the alternatives have a rather different set of pros and cons, and the rather large contradiction between what we need to do, and growth being our god. In the last decade they've become more open about what needs to be done, but rather dishonest about the implications.

"Travel for free, forever, on sunlight." :D

Tesla Motors unveil their solar-powered Supercharger network. :cool:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25691610

Unlimited, virtually free travel is certainly not the story of this century. Nothing around at the moment offers that prospect, you'd need one of those scientific & technological miracles for that to happen, and the slow move towards some renewables and some electric vehicles is no such miracle.

And blaming the politicians lets the economics off the hook.
There is no overriding economic reason why we can't make this switch, in fact there's an economic imperitive to actually make the switch in a planned way at the point when energy is still relatively cheap and relatively abundant, particularly when finance is available at historic low rates of return and there's a labour pool of several million people in the country that are either unemployed or underemployed.

The reasons this has not happened are entirely down to the politicians, and particularly their lack of understanding of the situation combined with their neoliberal economic outlook, which they've all been taught as gospel on their economics / PPE courses at Oxford & Cambridge (and maybe LSE).

btw IMO those on the zero growth side of the argument are equally as wrong in their outlook on this, as there is no possible way that a transition as massive as the transition from a centralised fossil fuel based power grid to a decentralised largely renewables based, and energy efficient system can be achieved without it causing a significant economic stimulus, and increased employment levels. Well, I suppose in a planned economy you could potentially just switch all existing production to this task and leave several million on the dole, but this wouldn't be a policy I'd ever support, nor could it ever be called a sustainable policy.

At some point in the future a more zero growth situation may be realistic, at this point now it would doom us to the sort of fate Falcon imagines, both in climate change and energy terms.

That they are embracing renewables and rather dramatic 2050 targets at all suggests that lack of awareness is not the big issue. Much of the problem is that its awareness that the alternatives have a rather different set of pros and cons, and the rather large contradiction between what we need to do, and growth being our god. In the last decade they've become more open about what needs to be done, but rather dishonest about the implications.
you're being fooled by that target culture.

setting a target doesn't achieve anything, it merely makes the politicians seem as if they're taking the subject seriously.

Achieving those targets in a sensible manor depends on policy, and when it comes to actual policy all governments from Thatcher onwards have been woeful in their dithering, and misguided actions.

There isn't a single area of government energy policy over the last 30 years that actually makes long term sense (with the possible exception of the free / subsidised loft and cavity wall insulation schemes). The only way we achieved our 2010 carbon targets was via a massive recession, otherwise we were going to overshoot significantly.

We're among the worst in Europe for renewables, and as soon as we got to the point where we actually had the potential to achieve our 2020 targets, the government stepped in and has literally killed the majority of the solar industry* with their inept and illegal actions over the last 18 months combined with 3 years of delays to the Renewable Heat Incentive scheme, and has sent severe jitters through the wind industry, and rest of the renewables sector with their talk about 25% cuts.

*2 long standing uk solar water heating manufacturers have gone bust in the last 6 months, and I'm aware of 2 x big solar companies in our area that have gone bust in the last week, and doubt that most will survive the winter as consumer confidence in the industry has evaporated after the last years worth of negative publicity re cuts, court cases etc.

Im not being fooled by the targets culture. Im certainly not suggesting that the government have made great strides and have shown unwavering commitment to the agenda on every level, and in particular the current government is seeking comfort in another short-medium term fossil fool adventure.

But those long term targets are not meaningless in every sense, they are an acknowledgement of a certain reality, and in an age previously characterised by utter denial, this still means something. The magnitude of the challenge is expressed well by the numbers they have come up with for 2050, whats missing so far is a sane response to this or an admission about the true implications of this.

The only way we achieved our 2010 carbon targets was via a massive recession, otherwise we were going to overshoot significantly.

Exactly, although I suspect Im looking at this concept from a different angle. It wont be the last time we see that phenomenon doing a lot of the painful work. Its a big part of how we are actually going to cope with the changing energy picture :( Its exactly how the current system will deal with much of the problem, demolition.

Exactly, although I suspect Im looking at this concept from a different angle. It wont be the last time we see that phenomenon doing a lot of the painful work. Its a big part of how we are actually going to cope with the changing energy picture :( Its exactly how the current system will deal with much of the problem, demolition.
well yes, but that way lies Falcons doomsday scenario.

It's not how the problem should or needs to be approached, unless you want a century of badly managed decline, mass unemployment, the end of the welfare state, half the population freezing to death in winter, and starving the rest of the time. I take it this isn't an appealing prospect, particularly when there is an alternative of high employment and sustainable economic growth in a managed transition to a low energy intensity, low carbon economy.

Im not being fooled by the targets culture. Im certainly not suggesting that the government have made great strides and have shown unwavering commitment to the agenda on every level, and in particular the current government is seeking comfort in another short-medium term fossil fool adventure.

But those long term targets are not meaningless in every sense, they are an acknowledgement of a certain reality, and in an age previously characterised by utter denial, this still means something. The magnitude of the challenge is expressed well by the numbers they have come up with for 2050, whats missing so far is a sane response to this or an admission about the true implications of this.
I agree to some extent that targets are needed, but current politicians seem to think that their job is done at that point.

IMO what's needed as well is annual targets that politicians can actually be judged directly against, as well as (and more importantly) the policies to achieve those target.

currently they're pissing in the wind, with the treasury collecting that piss and dumping it over their heads periodically.

That they are embracing renewables and rather dramatic 2050 targets at all suggests that lack of awareness is not the big issue.
The only problem i have with 2050 targets is that they look near enough to give the appearance that something concrete is being done whilst simultaneously kicking the problem far enough down the road for it to not be a concern to the current crop of politicians as most of them will have long since passed-on... If i were to be all jazzzz about it, i would say they are hoping for a technological fix that may or may not come whilst buying time for the global 'elite' to shore up their positions so they can weather the inevitable strife, mayhem and bloodletting that is likely to happen in a world of total economic and civilisation collapse, vastly diminished resources and continuing environmental catastrophe :hmm::(

particularly when there is an alternative of high employment and sustainable economic growth in a managed transition to a low energy intensity, low carbon economy.
On a finite planet, sustainable growth is an oxymoron.
- and a myth put about to elicit funding for "sustainable" technology projects.
:rolleyes:

On a finite planet, sustainable growth is an oxymoron.
- and a myth put about to elicit funding for "sustainable" technology projects.
:rolleyes:
bollocks.

well, to be more accurate, bollocks when starting from this position of extreme wastefulness of the energy and resources we currently use.

Potentially at some future point you might have a point, but we're a hell of a long way from that.

You've just bought into the myth that because in a situation when energy was cheap and abundant economic growth was always linked to a rise in energy consumption, that this must always be the case. It's a piss poor analysis of the actual situation, and the great potential for sustainable economic growth if we were to focus that growth at implementing methods of reducing the energy dependency / increasing the energy efficiency and provision of renewable energy sources within our economy, and other resource efficiency measures.

In fact, not taking these measures is the unsustainable option, as it will leave us with an economy that is overly reliant on increasingly expensive energy and commodities, and houses that an increasing proportion of the population can't afford to heat and light, and a perpetual downward economic spiral as our energy import requirements increasingly bleed the country dry. Not to mention the impacts of unchecked climate change.

Although its not directly related to peak oil I hope you dont mind if I put this nuclear news here.

This is the IAEA's updated projection for nuclear capacity. They are supposed to be cheerleaders for the industry so they usually go for nice happy stuff, but they have still been forced to downgrade their growth expectations this year in light of the consequences of Fukushima.

http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/2012/np2030.html

The projections made in 2011 after the accident indicated that it would slow the growth of nuclear power, but not reverse it. The 2012 updates, taking into account developments through April 2012, reinforce this conclusion, but with a greater slowdown in growth.
In the 2012 updated low projection, the world's installed nuclear power capacity grows from 370 gigawatts today to 456 GW(e) in 2030, diminishing by 9 per cent from the level projected last year. In the updated high projection, it grows to 740 GW(e) in 2030, which is an increase that is about 1 per cent less than estimated in 2011. Relative to projections made before the accident, the low projection has been reduced by 16 per cent and a more moderate eight percent in the high projection. (A gigawatt, or GW(e), equals one billion watts of electrical power).
Most telling for me is this, which is also probably why I felt like posting this story to this thread:

The low projection shows a 10-year delay in the pre-Fukushima anticipated growth, with the capacity that was projected for 2020 before the accident now being projected for 2030.

Regional predictions are also interesting:

Projected growth is strongest in the Far East, which includes China and the Republic of Korea. From 80 GW(e) at the end of 2011, capacity grows to 153 GW(e) in 2030 in the low projection and to 274 GW(e) in the high.
Western Europe shows the biggest difference between the low and high projections. In the low projection, Western Europe's nuclear power capacity drops from 115 GW(e) at the end of 2011 to 70 GW(e) in 2030. In the high projection, nuclear power grows to 126 GW(e).
In North America, the low case projects a small decline, from 114 GW(e) at the end of 2011 to 111 GW(e) in 2030. The high projection projects an increase to 148 GW(e).

bollocks.

*snip*
I will be fascinated to learn what kind of growth you imagine is NOT linked to increased consumption of energy and resources.
I suspect that you only use the term growth because it is necessary to secure investment for your projects?

You've just bought into the myth that because in a situation when energy was cheap and abundant economic growth was always linked to a rise in energy consumption, that this must always be the case. It's a piss poor analysis of the actual situation, and the great potential for sustainable economic growth if we were to focus that growth at implementing methods of reducing the energy dependency / increasing the energy efficiency and provision of renewable energy sources within our economy, and other resource efficiency measures.

Errrr, what?

If we were starting from zero, we could indeed have notable economic growth that did not stem from increasing consumption of cheap energy.

But since we have a rather hefty base of existing activity that is powered by cheap fossil fuels, any growth that is from sustainable methods is sitting perilously atop this fossil-fuel base, and declines in that base will cancel out that sustainable growth and then some.

This isnt an argument against bothering, just against raising expectations that this sort of growth will seem like a wonderful plentiful thing as opposed to not being enough to iron out the very large bumps.

Now it certainly is true that a whole host of factors can lead to notable changes in certain kinds of efficiency and links between energy and economic activity. We already had one round of this after the 70's oil crises, with the amount of oil used per unit of economic activity having declined somewhat from its giddy heights.

In other areas there is much waste that could be cut back on, but this wasteful consumption counts as economic activity so reductions on this front wont make the economic indicators looks rosy.

Errrr, what?

If we were starting from zero, we could indeed have notable economic growth that did not stem from increasing consumption of cheap energy.

But since we have a rather hefty base of existing activity that is powered by cheap fossil fuels, any growth that is from sustainable methods is sitting perilously atop this fossil-fuel base, and declines in that base will cancel out that sustainable growth and then some.
if you start from a low energy base it's very difficult to then make sufficient energy savings from that base to mean that economic growth is possible at the same time as energy consumption decreases.

If you start from a very high energy consuming base then it's far easier to achieve the same thing as there's far more very quick pay back, low energy input savings to be made.

I'm not saying the current situation is sustainable, far from it, but the current situation is one that favours / necessitates sustainable economic growth if we're to every get to a situation that is sustainable.

Put simply, you can't get from one situation to the other without economic growth, the trick is to ensure that that growth doesn't result in increased overall energy consumption / carbon emissions. This may or may not happen, but that's the key challenge here. It is possible though, and the only reason that it is possible is that we're starting from such an energy wasteful position, meaning there's a lot of low hanging fruit available to us in our energy reduction strategy should we choose to be sensible about it.

Back
Top Bottom