Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paul Embery

I noticed Mathew Goodwin described it an an ‘insiders story’. I’m not sure about how active Embury is in his local Labour Party ( I suspect very little tbh) and I’m not aware of any PLP that has an active Blue Labour base , of any candidate on the NEC or a prospective PLC . Don’t see anything similar in a trade union branch or nomination . I don’t mind some of Blue Labours stuff and I dare say I’d agree with sections of his book but neither him or Blue Labour seem to do anything seriously politically or in terms of activity to change Labour or even to make an in road .

I assume Goodwin means PE is a working class trade unionist and therefore writing an insider account from that perspective?

I’d agree with the sections of the book that include his critique of the LP. For example:

“Labour is now a party almost exclusively for the managerial and professional classes, graduates, social activists and urban liberals”

It’s the blueprint for addressing it where I depart from Embery. I don’t fully agree with how BL conceives the 20th century British working class. I agree even less with their forward strategy for reconnecting with the 21st century WC

Obviously anybody basing their class analysis of the Labour Party based on the NRS classifications can be safely ignored given that these are decades out of date and put call centre workers on minimum wage in the middle class bracket while builders and plumbers pulling in £100k a year are working class apparently.

Complaining that young graduates from a vastly expanded higher education sector who are barely making rent in the cities they moved to in order to find any work at all make up too high a proportion of Labour's support after a period when Labour actually recognised that they exist is the political analysis of a child. Anybody banging on about this plus bemoaning 'identity politics' is something of a dinosaur and almost certainly a closeted homophobe/whatever as well.. Not worth the time

The Pecknam bruiser wades in:

1606147271856.png

There you have it; Blue Labour is all about changing that blue collar into a (nice) white one. :mad:

The Pecknam bruiser wades in:

View attachment 240119

There you have it; Blue Labour is all about changing that blue collar into a (nice) white one. :mad:
The 'Novara crowd' did the things they were told would make things better - go to uni etc - and found they'd been sold a pup. Then they get told they're too middle class anyway because they have degrees and care about LGBT rights.
Fetishisation of cultural signifers whilst ignoring all the economic realities. Crap politics for grim people

Obviously anybody basing their class analysis of the Labour Party based on the NRS classifications can be safely ignored given that these are decades out of date and put call centre workers on minimum wage in the middle class bracket while builders and plumbers pulling in £100k a year are working class apparently.

Complaining that young graduates from a vastly expanded higher education sector who are barely making rent in the cities they moved to in order to find any work at all make up too high a proportion of Labour's support after a period when Labour actually recognised that they exist is the political analysis of a child. Anybody banging on about this plus bemoaning 'identity politics' is something of a dinosaur and almost certainly a closeted homophobe/whatever as well.. Not worth the time

This is from Ian Lavery and John Trickett’s Northern Discomfort pamphlet:

Firstly, it has spawned a new “career” route into politics. It is astounding that in 2017 only 4 Labour MPs came from a manual work background whereas 129 came from professional political backgrounds.
The truth is that as politics became more of a career, politicians have become increasingly drawn from small, closed socio-economic circles decreasing numbers of Labour MPs represented the communities into which they had been born.
Secondly, their approach became increasingly managerial, and technocratic as we separated ourselves from our core values and lost the sense that our heartland areas remained core to our whole project.
Thirdly, the Party membership itself is now concentrated in the South, mainly in London. Although there are 117 Labour seats in the North of England, there are only 140,000 members. In the South, including London, we have 64 seats and 205,000 members.
There are 3,199 members for every Labour seat in the South and 1,196 members for every Labour seat in the North. Clearly, there is an asymmetry with where members and voters are based.
Labour Party offices even reflect this, with the political centre headquartered in London

Now, I’m assuming that you aren’t lumping them in with your ‘dinosaurs and homophobes’ category? I’d also add that nobody, including Embery, has suggested that ‘young graduates’ are the propulsive force that explains the PMC take over of the party. By definition, they aren’t members of the PMC (or at least the ones you describe aren’t)

As for your defence of identity politics, precisely where does the demand for disparity correction under the existing order, or the elite form of identity politics peddled by corporations and the PMC take us?

Last edited:
There is a big difference between the make up of the membership and the background of MP's. It's 100% correct to point out how atrociously unrepresentative of the working-class the latter is, but that doesn't mean you can simply say the membership is anything like the same. That description is absolutely nothing like the make up of my local branch or constituency, and those members who don't fit in with that description are just as likely to support the kind of 'identity politics' motion as anyone else.

Embery wants to deny this because he wants pretend that the 'real working class' are just as blue labour as him.

There is a big difference between the make up of the membership and the background of MP's. It's 100% correct to point out how atrociously unrepresentative of the working-class the latter is, but that doesn't mean you can simply say the membership is anything like the same. That description is absolutely nothing like the make up of my local branch or constituency, and those members who don't fit in with that description are just as likely to support the kind of 'identity politics' motion as anyone else.

Embery wants to deny this because he wants pretend that the 'real working class' are just as blue labour as him.

But Lavery and Trickett report suggests that the party membership is becoming even more middle class. Not exclusively of course but the trend is evident.

But Lavery and Trickett report suggests that the party membership is becoming even more middle class. Not exclusively of course but the trend is evident.
id really like to see the source survey from which all assumptions are being drawn - JTG pointed out the error above of anything based on NRS classifications which " are decades out of date and put call centre workers on minimum wage in the middle class bracket while builders and plumbers pulling in £100k a year are working class apparently"

No they dont. There is no mention of the membership composition at all in the pamphlet. It's about Labour voters, not members. And it points out the appalling state at the top, with a call to remove all barriers that stop w-c people becoming stand more easily.

Is it more m-c than 30 years ago, even accounting for social changes in that time? I am sure it is, but those that joined cos of Corbyn (and who Embery really hates) reversed that so a significant extent, and branch activities showed that.

WorkersPartyShortTextBlack.png

I'm surely not the only one raising an eyebrow at the direction of this...am I?

Is this what you are thinking of ? 90's Hungarian Fascists - the Hungarian Welfare Association 1606232952664.png (ETA perhaps a bit unfair for this to be on a thread about Embery)

he keeps adding #bluelabour but also said 'neither blair nor corbyn' but i thought blue labour was Blair?

he keeps adding #bluelabour but also said 'neither blair nor corbyn' but i thought blue labour was Blair?

No. Blair’s metropolitan third way neo-liberalism was and has been roundly criticised by Blue Labour.

Blair and his fellow travellers (inc Biden and co) were and are ‘double Liberals’: economically and socially.

Blue Labour are miles to the left of Blair on economic issues and are also rigidly socially conservative.

Last edited:
No. Blair’s metropolitan third way neo-liberalism was and has been roundly criticised by Blue Labour.

Blair and his fellow travellers (inc Biden and co) were and are ‘double Liberals’: economically and socially.

Blue Labour are miles to the left of Blair on economic issues and are also rigidly socially conservative.

Opening line borrowed straight from the Communist Manifesto. It's cheap, but I would wager that most Blue Labourites have never read any Marx, let alone the Communist Manifesto. Their politics seem closer to Straßerismus than social democracy.

Interesting review of Embery's book from Sabrina Huck, setting out how for all his 'maverick/unorthodox' posturing, most of what he says is bogstandard Milibandism: Review: Paul Embery: “Despised: Why the Modern Left Loathes the Working Class” | Prometheus

Haigh also endorses cooperatives and calls for more workers on boards, two policies that can be found in Corbyn’s manifesto. Embery supports ‘workers on boards’ too, claiming that this would represent an extension of social ownership that diffuses power and wealth in industry and commerce. Embery and Labour’s social democrats both speak of Trade Union organising but rather than viewing it as means for the working class to engage in an antagonistic struggle, it is a corporatist approach that guides their policy prescriptions...

From the Essex man to the ‘Workington man’ in the Red Wall, there is a clear shift away from an individual’s material conditions and aspirations to a values-based, communitarian framing. The Conservative think tank ‘Onward’, who coined these latest terms, published its report ‘The Politics of Belonging’ in October 2019, finding a shift away from freedom of choice towards security as a priority for swing voters. The report also states that voters believe communities have become more divided, that family values are in decline and that an increase in university graduates versus those completing technical qualifications has been bad for the country. Economically, these voters will strongly oppose globalisation and the modern liberal market economy and believe that immigration has had a negative impact. Onward concludes by recommending to Boris Johnson an electoral strategy that focuses on economic security, restores a sense of belonging, prioritises national security and pursues cultural changes over a longer period of time.

Following the Brexit referendum and Boris Johnson’s landslide victory in 2019, attention for Labour strategists is now firmly on the Red Wall and it seems that Onward’s analysis has been wholesale adopted – and endorsed – by the left. Little in terms of alternative coalition-building ideas has been published. Labour’s own election post mortem in form of the Labour Together report concludes that what is needed is a strategy based on an economic agenda combined with a “robust story of community and national pride.”

Is it wise to wholesale subscribe to a framing that has been developed by Conservative researchers, making recommendations for a Conservative victory?

... Embery at least is somewhat honest in that he is not shying away from conflict – he does not want to prioritise people’s needs over cultural assimilation and therefore has made his pick of which section of society he wants to see represented by Labour. The Party mainstream is dancing to a similar tune, but is less honest about it. Flat statements of unity and empty descriptions of community and values, fearful to antagonise and desperate to avoid political conflict, do not set a counter-argument to Embery. Mainstream Labour figures engage in the same language but are rarely spelling out what they actually mean. Consequently everyone can interpret their definitions of community, pride and place however it suits them. This void is easily filled with Embery’s interpretations. And when pressed to go more concrete, mainstream Labour voices slide down a bit further along the path that arrives at the same conclusions as Embery does: their definition of community remains ultimately closed and static, with a focus on unity over class conflict.

Embery has won his ET case against the FBU after he was dismissed from his TU role for speaking at a pro-Brexit rally. Not a good look for the FBU regardless of where you stand on the issue itself. Embery’s decline into a GB news, ‘culture warrior’ is equally depressing so I don’t think he’ll be seeking reinstatement so he can get back to representing members…

Embery has won his ET case against the FBU after he was dismissed from his TU role for speaking at a pro-Brexit rally. Not a good look for the FBU regardless of where you stand on the issue itself. Embery’s decline into a GB news, ‘culture warrior’ is equally depressing so I don’t think he’ll be seeking reinstatement so he can get back to representing members…

Always thought it was odd and clumsy that they chose that particular issue to remove him when there would have been more subtle ways.

Always thought it was odd and clumsy that they chose that particular issue to remove him when there would have been more subtle ways.
Aye, haven’t been able to find the judgement yet but the Judge won’t have had to look very far to work out the motivations behind the dismissal. Highly embarrassing- and costly - for the FBU

Back
Top Bottom