Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paul Embery

The whole thing was really bizarre I found it hard to believe they had fired him from a paid role for that as it was so stupid. He deserved to win whatever is current descent.

He's a knob, but for a union to try to stich up a worker with a dodgy discipline process is a bad look.

FFS; the point is they didn't care about Process, the point was to get Embury out. That goal was achieved. Nothing unexpected here by anyone.

People here got at least that far, surely ...

GMB I believe has a branch for TU workers. As I understand it Embery wasn’t ‘an employee’ he was a firefighter in a full time lay elected post, which is slightly different.
There was also that wild story from a few years back where the UCU gen sec claimed that she was being victimised by... the membership, basically. Unite is apparently the union that represents UCU officials.

GMB I believe has a branch for TU workers. As I understand it Embery wasn’t ‘an employee’ he was a firefighter in a full time lay elected post, which is slightly different.
Unite and GMB are the main unions for union employees in the UK. Ironically as Unite is pretty bad when it comes to their own staff collective bargaining.

There was an argument that Embery was not an FBU employee because he was an elected official.
The ruling that he was an employee could be very problematic for unions cos any elected official who is in a full time post for more than 4 years could now claim to have a right to union employment permanently or redundancy.

As for the discipline process, I think the FBU should have had it out internally as a political row in order to get him voted out of office.

That he has been congratulated by Arlene Foster says everything about his appalling politics as does him agreeing to appear on GB news.

Yet the BBC article describes him as being left wing!

There was also that wild story from a few years back where the UCU gen sec claimed that she was being victimised by... the membership, basically. Unite is apparently the union that represents UCU officials.
That was appalling behaviour by the former GS. Total disgrace and thankfully the backlash meant she had to step down (officially for reasons of ill health but it would have been a fight if she hadn't chosen to go). Even then she took a fucking huge pay out.

That was appalling behaviour by the former GS. Total disgrace and thankfully the backlash meant she had to step down (officially for reasons of ill health but it would have been a fight if she hadn't chosen to go). Even then she took a fucking huge pay out.
Yeah, the whole "it's unfair victimisation if you publicly discuss criticisms of an elected official" thing was definitely a bonkers line of argument. Full of ironies though, like the fact that the UCU officials walking out without following a proper balloting process meant that they were actually wildcatting. Which is, uh, a slight contrast to her record as GS, if I remember rightly.

There was an argument that Embery was not an FBU employee because he was an elected official.
The ruling that he was an employee could be very problematic for unions cos any elected official who is in a full time post for more than 4 years could now claim to have a right to union employment permanently or redundancy.

A good point. As I understand it PE was an employee of the fire service and not the FBU and yet the ET treated him as ‘an employee’. Given the new powers that the Tories are awarding the TU certification officer (and forcing the unions to pay for via a levy) this could open a massive can of worms if/when those lay officials are removed from office for not towing the line.

I briefly misread something today as Paul Embery claiming that Jo Grady had threatened to bottle him, but the truth turned out to be less exciting, nevermind.

I briefly misread something today as Paul Embery claiming that Jo Grady had threatened to bottle him, but the truth turned out to be less exciting, nevermind.
If you are following the creepy douche bag he’s just turned into an alt-right libertarian click baiter grifting “real working class” views

His latest was fronting a group of young drunk women on a train because they were swearing

Made a right meal of it and the counter video which the drunk women posted was them being frankly quite patient with him

I wait with baited breath for video footage of his tube intervention on millwall/West Ham day when I’m sure he will also be brave as fuck

The man is the demented love child of Jordan Peterson barebacking Alfred Garnett

If you are following the creepy douche bag he’s just turned into an alt-right libertarian click baiter grifting “real working class” views

His latest was fronting a group of young drunk women on a train because they were swearing

Made a right meal of it and the counter video which the drunk women posted was them being frankly quite patient with him

I wait with baited breath for video footage of his tube intervention on millwall/West Ham day when I’m sure he will also be brave as fuck

The man is the demented love child of Jordan Peterson barebacking Alfred Garnett
Yeah, I'm not following the dick, just saw people talking about him, had a brief look to see what was going on then went about my day. Slightly disappointed that Jo Grady is not in fact threatening to bottle him, but hey ho.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but he's an actual textbook example of someone who seems to have been heading in that direction anyway but has been pushed further or faster along the path of douchebaggery by his treatment by elements of the left including his union.

Would a different approach back then have delayed or even prevented his slide down this path? My suspicion is that it wouldn't have prevented it in this particular case.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but he's an actual textbook example of someone who seems to have been heading in that direction anyway but has been pushed further or faster along the path of douchebaggery by his treatment by elements of the left including his union.

Would a different approach back then have delayed or even prevented his slide down this path? My suspicion is that it wouldn't have prevented it in this particular case.
You are very generous

He ain't been treated badly by the left or his union imo.
He is simply a version of Hopkins, Galloway or Fox...they are all out for themselves and will do and say whatever they have to in order to get noticed.

On one hand this seems like bad news because being able to slag Paul Embery off online is an important freedom, but then also anything that might encourage Jo Grady to spend less time on twitter must be good for UCU members, so hard to say what it all means.
Also, genuinely took me a minute to work out that the "similar threads" function was pulling up the Paul Joseph Watson and Paul Mason threads as "threads that are similar because they have Paul in the name" rather than "threads that are similar because they're about notable dickheads".

I reckon Embery is taking his orders from Spiked and if not the ex-RCP lot, then Turning Point UK.

What a reactionary cunt.

I reckon Embery is taking his orders from Spiked and if not the ex-RCP lot, then Turning Point UK.

He doesn't need to take orders - it's just a nod to this, from the first page of this thread:

I wonder if his growing media ‘career’ demands he gets noticed and, also that he adopts increasingly reductionist (and increasingly shite) positions?

Absolutely hate this fucking chode. England Women win the Euros and what does he do? Uses it as an opportunity to have a go at trans people. I can guarantee that if the Germans had won - and if Popp hadn't gotten injured, they very likely would have - he'd be crapping on about how women's football is woke lefty nonsense. Isn't he one of those twats who thinks women should be at home raising kids instead of working?

He also seems to think working-class = white and no working-class POC exist. And him pretending to care about Pride is laughable considering how much he hates gay people, he said Idrissa Gueye was more heroic for refusing to wear the rainbow shirt than that young Blackpool player was for coming out. I guess he thinks being gay is bourgeois decadence or something.

Back
Top Bottom