Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notting Hill Carnival 2012

Hmmmm, Red Bull
Must go with sacks full of Happy Shopper cheapo copy bollicks vibe
Sadly, I am a substitute Lover, not like Half Pint it seems

They = the people who promote and put it together
Flogging = Selling or promoting it.
it doesn't get promoted by the organisers, and it is free. it isn't sponsored, and it is not a government-backed event, but it still pulls a million people, i think that is pretty cool.

Been watching Carnival clips on Youtube quite a bit today, getting right in the mood now. We're lucky too, on Sat' eve/night we're going to some pals for a pre-carnival foot shaker, we're gonna stay the night and then stroll down to Aba Shanti in the afternoon - they live in Kensal Green, not far from The Island bar (which I love) on College Rd :cool:

I just got a invites to this too :) :

BR_MAKE_SESSIONS_003_working-copy2-530x795.jpg

That was alright :)

Surprised to find that Aba was on when we reached and was gone by about 8:30pm, must have had another session on. Pretty good venue, and friendly too, they let me, my mate & ska invita in even though we hadn't been added to the guest list. Proper sweat box, good job the Red Stripe was free, although it did run out by 10:30.

The Boiler Room DJ's & NTS were making up the numbers a bit but the reggae crews were good. King Tubbys played a 70's dubplate set, including their "Bob Marley" specials. Will have to find out who who was really singing on those :D The Desmond Dekker special to 007 was blinding. Channel One were solid as usual, Mikey Dread playing his own selection.

Was it streamed live? Can't see any mention of it on their site?

they did mention it at the end of the sherwood show the other night
was out so didn't catch it myself

The Boiler Room DJ's & NTS were making up the numbers a bit but the reggae crews were good. King Tubbys played a 70's dubplate set, including their "Bob Marley" specials. Will have to find out who who was really singing on those :D The Desmond Dekker special to 007 was blinding. Channel One were solid as usual, Mikey Dread playing his own selection.

sounds really good!

was streamed at the time and gets posted online a couple of days after the fact usually. I'll keep an eye for the link
a bit of hipster sufferation early on, but turned out nice by the end - nice mixed crowd (good gender balance!) and everyone well up for it
Channel One closing the night off with this Bushman track again - i wonder how many people play the same set at each gig? i do like this tracks though
(clip is from uni of dub)

thanks for that ringo ;)

Cheers ska, just ordered a copy of that Bushman tune :)

Loads of them play the same set. I've mostly given up on seeing Jah Shaka - 62% is the same selection he's been playing for the last 15 years and the rest is new releases I was buying anyway!

Forecast getting better every day :)
i take BBC bank holiday weather forecasts with a big pinch of salt - from what ive seen they're often made better than the real weather - its state propaganda gone mad! I'm sure we can chase the rain away though...

i take BBC bank holiday weather forecasts with a big pinch of salt - from what ive seen they're often made better than the real weather - its state propaganda gone mad! I'm sure we can chase the rain away though...
Nah worry
Nah fret
Rain a fall
Carnival be the bes yet!!!!!

A message from Rudy

l.jpg

As a very young boy experiencing my first carnival back in the 1970's & coming from a music background via my elder brothers & sisters, it was a wish to be able to command & perform to an audience of such a magnitude. The track i remember hearing all them years ago was 'Margaret' by the late Dennis Walks (a great Reggae Revival Classic now but back then, it was fresssshhh!!! )

Many years later & after joining Joe & Norman on the Good Times Sound system with MC Briggy Dee & Stevie P, the benchmark was set!

Love, hard-work, consistency & musical knowledge all play a big part in the make up of the foundations of GT as carnival was & still is deemed to be, the biggest playout of the year where any Sound System wants to 'shine' at their best...

Over the 30 plus years at Notting Hill, its been more than a pleasure working with Norman, Joe, the Joseph family plus the behind the scenes production team whose work amounts to a spectacular & brilliant 2 days over the Summer bank Holiday.

2011 was a year that many people were left in limbo as there was no Good Times so, many didnt attend at all, though we all should really,as its about the whole event that matters, but folk were upset & disgruntled...

That said, 2012 in now upon us & we're back!! Bigger & better or if you prefer, as in the words of First Choice, 'Armed & Extremely Dangerous' (Musically, that is may i add!

Whether your'e a 1st timer or a long standing member of the 'Wall Posse', you will be guaranteed nothing but the original Good Times vibe with smiley/happy faces all around!

Every year its hard to tell which tracks are going to be raising the clouds but heres a few of my new faves & some Old Skool Classics

1. Lovely Day - Bill Withers
2. The Layer - Julien Dyne
3. Cajmere - Brighter Days
4. I Culture - Richard Earnshaw
5. Aux Sere - Julio Bashmore
6. No Ice Cream Sound (DUBPLATE SPECIAL) - Johnny Osbourne
7. War (Seani B Rmx) - Bob Marley & Capleton
8. I Know You Got Soul - Eric B & Rakim
9. Call Me - Good Girls
10. M Beat - Style

......'I'll see you all at the the bus'!

Dj Rudy Ranx

Back
Top Bottom