Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notting Hill Carnival 2012

[THREADS GOT MERGED - EXCUSE REPETITIONS!]

The only change ive heard so far is no more Jah Observer, and instead Solution is stepping in... sounds like Manasseh will be playing on Sunday?

As most of you already know, following Jah Observer's move to Jamaica
earlier this year, Solution have the great honour of playing in their
spot from this year. For the full story visit:
http://www.solutionsoundsystem.com

Catch us on Ledbury Rd (at junction with Talbot Rd) both days, playing
the best in roots reggae, dub and revive!

Our good friend Nick Manasseh will be passing through to play a guest
selection and on Monday afternoon legendary producer Bunny 'Striker'
Lee will be on hand to sign copies of his new book, 'Reggae Going
International'!

1976-nh.jpg

digital soundboy have kept their spot... Monday only... I think thats a pretty accurate set time list with top of the list being on later (based on last years flyer)

555587_10151100946493887_1826949027_n.jpg

Good Time back after going AWOL last year - Norman Jay post from last week:

Hi everyone!

Like possibly millions of people around the UK and the rest of the world at the present time, I’m suffering terribly from post Olympic blues at the moment. It was a truly amazing spectacle to behold. I have never before spent soo much time in front of the tv watching sport. It was probably one of the best summer fortnights I can ever remember in London. I doff my hat to our entire Team GB sportsmen and women, especially our gold medalists and Olympic champions. BIG UP!

The 2012 Olympics have clearly inspired a palpable ‘feel good’ factor in the country, particularly here in London, where the vibe was fantastic. So it is our intention here at Good Times Sound System to help prolong that special feeling over the coming August bank holiday weekend (Sun 26th and Mon 27th). For those of you who haven’t yet heard, Good Times will DEFINITELY be back at this year’s Notting Hill Carnival. Although at the time of writing, there will be NO official after party either. But we are working tirelessly on the possibility of a last minute ‘Pop-up’ afterparty venue so please watch this space! In the meantime we warmly welcome you back in your teeming thousands to join us at this year’s Notting Hill Carnival.

A year out from NHC meant that we (Good Times) have had to overcome new financial and logistical challenges in order for us to even be here this year. Thankfully though we have managed to attract a partner sponsor in the shape of HAVANA CLUB for Notting Hill carnival 2012. We warmly welcome HAVANA CLUB brand to help us and you celebrate the much vaunted return of Good Times Sound System to Notting Hill Carnival 2012.

In light of current HEALTH & SAFETY legislation, there will be one or two small ‘visible’ changes to our SOUTHERN ROW / WEST ROW London W10 site set up this year. Our legendary double decker bus will still be there of course and in exactly the same place on SOUTHERN ROW, as will our ever popular SOUL KITCHEN (located in West Row) offering the best in authentic Caribbean finger food. There will also be 3 fully licensed GOOD TIMES / HAVANA CLUB branded bars located around the bus offering ice cold beer, wine and fantastic cocktails as well as soft drinks and bottled water. Please be advised NOT to patronise any street vendors selling food or drink in the area as they are NOT authorised or licensed and are ILLEGAL. Any food or drink purchased from them could be a potential health hazard and directly impacts on us financially.

Remember by purchasing your alcoholic beverages, food and official merchandise exclusively from OUR officially licensed bars and stalls over the bank holiday weekend really HELPS US FINANCIALLY. In essence it means that EVERY £ pound you spend with GOOD TIMES over the bank holiday weekend, you are DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTING and helping to meet the ever increasing costs of us appearing at NHC in the future.

Just to put it all into context, we have NEVER made any money/profit from playing at NHC in all the years we have been there. Nor have we EVER had any help, financial assistance, grants etc, from local government, the Lottery or the Arts council to help cover the enormous cost of appearing at NHC each year. For the record, we at Good Times have been responsible for personally funding our appearance at NHC over the last few years OUT OF OUR OWN POCKETS!. A ludicrous situation which was simply NOT sustainable and was indeed a major contributing factor for our non-appearance in 2011. The annual Notting Hill Carnival as you are fully aware is a FREE EVENT TO THE PUBLIC but costs the many participants like ourselves, £1,000′s of pounds in bar and street trading licenses, production hire and public liability insurance fees etc, costs which ALL have to be met somehow. As there is NO entrance fee or cover charge to the event, we have NO way of recouping this huge financial outlay. This is why YOUR continued support is so vitally important to us. We really value it.

This year for example and for the first time ever at our carnival site/stage, we will be providing a total of 10 SERVICEABLE PUBLIC TOILETS which will be located on the NORTH pavement on the eastern end of SOUTHERN ROW, towards the LADBROKE GROVE STEPS which will now be a designated EMERGENCY EXIT ONLY. We tried (in vain) to get the local council to provide this essential service for FREE but to no avail. This year the local council decided in their infinite wisdom NOT to install the men’s urinals usually located between Southern and Middle Row W10 much to our dismay. So in the end we decided to hire them in ourselves (at additional cost to us) for the EXCLUSIVE USE OF GOOD TIMES FANS ONLY.

So please be advised, THERE WILL BE A NOMINAL COVER CHARGE TO USE THEM ON BOTH DAYS (cover charge yet to be confirmed). A token system for their exclusive use will be in operation over the entire weekend. Anyone who has ever attended carnival before will attest to the fact at just how difficult it is to find a toilet which is accessible and above all, CLEAN. Many GT carnival goers are often forced to turn to (some) local residents who have been known to charge up to £5 per head to use their private faciliites. Again I stress this is a non-profit exercise but wholly for YOUR benefit . All monies raised by their patronage over the weekend will go directly into covering the cost of hiring them in (which is pretty substantial I have to say). We have taken it upon ourselves to implement these new changes in order to help enhance your Good Times experience at NHC. I hope I have gone some way to explaining exactly why these toilet charges are necessary and that you fully understand the situation and thereby continue to support us on it.

I will be back very soon with more important NHC updates. Filling you in with daily start and finishing times. What time you should arrive at GOOD TIMES etc, New limited edition GT merchandise (only available on the day behind the GOOD TIMES Bus or adjacent to the SOUL KITCHEN, unfortunately as our online shop is currently closed, official after party update (IF we have one) and NEW Met Police crowd control measures as a record Good Times crowd is expected this year. Until then have a great weekend. I’m very much looking forward to my first ever appearance at the NOTTINGHAM CARNIVAL this Saturday (see live dates page for more info).

Speak again soon!

theres never been a good notting hil carnival website it seems to me.. the official one never has any info on it.
Anyhow, pretty certain that Aba Shanti I is there both days this year, Sunday vintage selection, Monday modern...

Never had too much, erm, time for Good Times. Always felt like an oasis of young girls from Clapham that was impossible to get anywhere near and always the first thing visiting people always ask to go to. Plus, as a man that listens to house 365 days of the year I always revelled in trying new stuff out.

That Digital Soundboy looks stupid good...My pals first floor balcony overlooks it (or at least it did last year on Leam Spa Road)...will be ace!

Never had too much, erm, time for Good Times. Always felt like an oasis of young girls from Clapham that was impossible to get anywhere near and always the first thing visiting people always ask to go to. Plus, as a man that listens to house 365 days of the year I always revelled in trying new stuff out.

That Digital Soundboy looks stupid good...My pals first floor balcony overlooks it (or at least it did last year on Leam Spa Road)...will be ace!

it can appear that way at GT, but there used to be a real community vibe around Norman/carnival/his radio show, so that Ive seen rare rare groove bsides all being sung along to word for word by the loyal crowd...what with him not on the radio anymore i think thats less the case as time goes by...its still a great party there without fail - easier said than done...many happy memories

The Dub Club is still going then?
Used to go when it was in Finsbury Park in 97/98 - good memories :)

It says opposite Tuffnel Park tube so I assume it's in the room over the Boston Arms pub?

The Dub Club is still going then?

Used to go when it was in Finsbury Park in 97/98 - good memories :)

It says opposite Tuffnel Park tube so I assume it's in the room over the Boston Arms pub?
Dub Club doesnt really exist like it did - the odd thing once in a while...
The only really regular dub session now is in Finsbury Park at a spot called Orleans... Ive been down twice (tuesday in Finsbury park doesnt really suit my schedule!), and it was a great night, with a small but intimate crowd
561191_414461871923828_702383700_n.jpg

Thanks for the info about the Dub Club.

That place is where it was held in the late 90's but the club was called something else then. I don't think they've been there continuously, I've an idea they were in Ladbroke Grove for a while.

yep, i'm going to the sunday one. should be good.
i'm quite into JahYu atm.

whos that then seb? that will be a great session - would lvoe to go but despite best intentions ive never made it to any carnival afterpartys - sunday night save myself to make it out on monday again, monday night its best to lock myself at home till tuesday morning, for all concerned!

whos that then seb?

german / korean digi dubster / dubstepper. his recent collaboration with alpha steppa is very creative stuff. i like it.

sunday will prolly be my biggie. might go away on monday, so will let my hair down over the weekend. will prolly do iration steppa on friday too.

arrive at westbourne park tube (you can't leave from there though). don't try and meet up with people once you're there. if you are going with people then no more than 2 people. better to go early and leave a little early than to go at 4 and try and leave at the same time as everyone else. my preferred route home is from kensal rise, a little walk walk north. the most crowded bit is hte walk from westbourne park road up portobello road. you mostly won't be able to cross the actual parade route.

big isnt always best!

if its your first time be aware it will be busy, utterly rammed in places and if youre going with friends maybe have a plan to be at X place at X time in case you get separated. or just lose them and have a good time anyway :D

Preferably DnB or Dub but honestly i'd be happy with wherever has the biggest system :D
There's one DnB rig - cmc matrix - its bang in the middle of carnival (round all saints road iirc) - a bit too upfront and hard for my tastes ( i think theres a renegade hardware connection there somewhere?) - from there its not too far to walk to other sounds, but for tried and tested vibes the best spots in my opinion are:

*Aba-Shanti - with Good Times next door (you can beat the crowds by going to Kensal Green tube and walking down from there)

*Solution Sound next door to Gaz's Rocking Blues and a short walk to Channel One via another good sound only there on Sunday whose name i forget (notting hill gate tube)

Last year Sunday was great as riots brought down the numbers a touch - might be the same this year because Olympic exodus - which allows for more walking around - but on the whole best just to find your corner and stay put IMO

Back
Top Bottom