Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notting Hill Carnival 2023

Am starting to waver towards landing at Kensal and heading to Aba, and with only 2 more sleeps I feel under pressure.
I usually go Channel One but I was on my feet dancing for their whole set at We Out Here festival last weekend. I bailed on Aba on the Friday. It was just too hot.

So, we are coming up from brixton and going Aba Shanti.

Over 10 years ago now - 2013 was the last time on the corner of Southern and West Row. Miss Good Times at Carnival massively.
100%

He always used to drop Mr Oizo towards the end of his set which used to send the place into a frenzy.

Particularly remember one year he finished with Barry White.

wooo a classic for me.... Gladdy Wax held it down, that was the only sound I needed tbh. Aba as mentioned, just doesn't sound good possibly due to the huge crowd... but in general it was exactly the right amount of crowded everywhere to be exciting but not scary/claustrophobic, and the right amount of sun etc. The bit of Solution I caught on way home was promising too, great sound but a bit modern sounding. channel1, couldn't get near enough to judge.

wooo a classic for me.... Gladdy Wax held it down, that was the only sound I needed tbh. Aba as mentioned, just doesn't sound good possibly due to the huge crowd... but in general it was exactly the right amount of crowded everywhere to be exciting but not scary/claustrophobic, and the right amount of sun etc. The bit of Solution I caught on way home was promising too, great sound but a bit modern sounding. channel1, couldn't get near enough to judge.

I couldn't get my head around how small the Channel One area is. They surely need a bigger road!

We were at Solution just before we finished up and headed home, was playing some nice old school reggae when we were there. Also where we got our jerk fix. Recommended.

I couldn't get my head around how small the Channel One area is. They surely need a bigger road!

We were at Solution just before we finished up and headed home, was playing some nice old school reggae when we were there. Also where we got our jerk fix. Recommended.

Sounds great and I love your photos a couple of posts up!

I used to go but I just can't cope with the crowds now I am a bit less mobile/resilient to being jostled in a busy area/able to stand for a long period.

Am enjoying the photos though :)

Sounds great and I love your photos a couple of posts up!

I used to go but I just can't cope with the crowds now I am a bit less mobile/resilient to being jostled in a busy area/able to stand for a long period.

Am enjoying the photos though :)

Thank you. :)

We went earlier than I have ever been before, got there around 12 and stayed till about half 3, it was only starting to get busy in some areas then. Honestly, no crowds, loads of room and if you brought a camping chair, loads of places to sit and chill. The walk from Paddington would probably be the hardest work but in stages possibly doable.

Although having said all that my feet are fucking killing me!

Couldn't fucking walk by the time I got home. :D

Thank you. :)

We went earlier than I have ever been before, got there around 12 and stayed till about half 3, it was only starting to get busy in some areas then. Honestly, no crowds, loads of room and if you brought a camping chair, loads of places to sit and chill. The walk from Paddington would probably be the hardest work but in stages possibly doable.

Although having said all that my feet are fucking killing me!

Couldn't fucking walk by the time I got home. :D

(I also did 8 hours at All Points East on Friday so my feet/legs have been through the wringer this weekend)

I might start a podcast called The 4 Hour Carnival - NOTTING HILL SECRETS EXPOSED

Loads of bogs as well, way more than there used to be.

I went once, when I first came to London over 30 cursed years ago. Couldn't cope with the crowds or the distortion of the speaker systems, so never went again. However, I have always felt guilty about this, so it's reassuring to see others have had similar problems.

tbh I couldn't recommend carnival to anyone with mobility issues or who hates crowds, unless you are really enthusiastic about going (in which case theres def stewards/transport help available).... what ever time, whenever you go there is always going to be some time it becomes an issue, however well you've planned! I feel like I ran a marathon today (mind you i did try and cover a lot of stuff as showing a first time around). i mean i LOVE it but many years i just woke up on day and thought "nah I don't fancy it today", and never regretted not going... you've got to be in right mood too!

(toilets have never been a problem tho, that's a myth, as long as you know where blocks are/have a map/accept the "£3 to go in someone's back garden shed" as part if the experience)

(oh and I refuse to pay £15 for jerk chicken, I'll just go to the better takeaway at home)(or £4 odd for a warm can, my carnival juice is way nicer).

enjoy today everyone who's braving it!

one of the best in my 20+ years. not too busy but busy enough. empty enough to hop in between sounds.

did about 15 mins of aba, then 50 % glady, 30 % solution, 10 % channel one, 10 % float.

(aba - yes, sound still not the best, but didn't stick around for long enough to give him a chance.....tbh the crowd he pulls on carnival pisses me off a bit. seems quite....dunno....boring, verging on hipsterish on chems. shame, as off carnival he's on of my absolute faves, selection- as well as sound wise.)

bumped into quite a few people. surprised i didn't spot rutabowa, my gladdy spot was pretty near yours!

re food - too expensive / stressful. my usual de-compression strategy is to cycle home via an iraqi family cafe / restaurant on the edgware road. polar opposite to carnival: calm, quiet music, comfortable, reserved talking, no rushing, etc.

great year. went with a carnival virgin mate from abroad who couldn't stop talking about how friendly and chilled everyone was.

shout outs to my irl mates on here I managed to sniff out in wild west 11 xx

Good stuff above, sounds like right good days out for you all :thumbs:

Didn't make it y/day, got home too late from a family bbq.
Mrs Numbers is 40% up for going today, have a few hours to work on her.

Sounds like it's a good idea to avoid Aba :( so SE corner only it is.

Good stuff above, sounds like right good days out for you all :thumbs:

Didn't make it y/day, got home too late from a family bbq.
Mrs Numbers is 40% up for going today, have a few hours to work on her.

Sounds like it's a good idea to avoid Aba :( so SE corner only it is.
fyi, this year opposite Channel 1 it is Metro Glory, not Lord Ambassador (they alternate years)... lord ambassador are usually my favourites and a similar kind of sound to aba shanti. I didn't give Metro Glory much chance tho.

Back
Top Bottom