Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notting Hill Carnival 2023

I think I will do my usual. Get there later than planned, wander around aimlessly, get lost, shuffle dance when the feeling takes me!
This is the way.

In other news, I'm taking my 10 year old to the Monday

Well, ok, we're going to pitch up hopefully about 11.30, bimble around seeing sound systems set up/hearing first tunes of the day, get a bit of food, leave by 1pm at the latest, then I'll drop her at my mums, and then I'll return to carnival for about 2.30. Hopefully. My wife's going to have to be the responsible adult in the evening obviously. I'm quite looking forward to it, because I think she might enjoy it, despite the lack of Taylor Swift songs. If she doesn't we'll leave earlier, and I'll get to Carnival proper earlier. Win, win.

I know Woodbridge... Never thought I'd see the day it crossed paths with Notting Hill Carnival
shit yeah i didnt notice this has anything to do with woodbridge up near ipswich, what with this being in hackney, but somehow it is! thats very...unexpected!

I wonder what this Aswad 3D thing actually is? 5.1 mix of New Chapter in Dub would be amazing (not that Ive got a 5.1 system)

shit yeah i didnt notice this has anything to do with woodbridge up near ipswich, what with this being in hackney, but somehow it is! thats very...unexpected!

I wonder what this Aswad 3D thing actually is? 5.1 mix of New Chapter in Dub would be amazing (not that Ive got a 5.1 system)
I feel like klang might know. Good booking for Woodbridge Festival!

I feel like klang might know. Good booking for Woodbridge Festival!
Rocked up 9.30ish. Bouncer :'are you sure you want to go in?'
'Yes'.
'Ok but don't blame me and of course i won't charge you'

So we went in and there was only us. Couple of girls came in later but they ignored us.
Bit of reggae somewhere in the background. No idea if that was in 3d.

Left after 20mins after paying just shy of a score for two cans.

Next year, when i get the chance to havs a night out again I'll do something different.

Rocked up 9.30ish. Bouncer :'are you sure you want to go in?'
'Yes'.
'Ok but don't blame me and of course i won't charge you'

So we went in and there was only us. Couple of girls came in later but they ignored us.
Bit of reggae somewhere in the background. No idea if that was in 3d.

Left after 20mins after paying just shy of a score for two cans.

Next year, when i get the chance to havs a night out again I'll do something different.
Shame. Sounds strange. Well Woodbridge Festival should be well attended as not much going on generally!

So, due to things, I was able to go yesterday, and Carnival was great. Not busy, Lack of moody people. Gaz's playing latin and ska, and then inexplicably a Finish garage punk band played a set. Gladdywax was playing some nice roots which went so well with the mood and the sunshine. Had a nice dance to some Garage (house) by the Westway. Original Nutter seemed to be the track of Carnival, as I heard it being played on 3 different system, each time the crowd seemed to have a contingent of young women going mental to it. Seemed to be more latin music in general. But yeah a fine fine Carnival Sunday.

Going back this afternoon for a bit of Shy FX business if I can get enough work done.

Last edited:
Big fan of Shy FX.
Friend of mine opened for them in Cambridge once.
Sadly though bank holidays don't exist for me so I'll be at work ferrying around higher than usual numbers of drunks and clueless tourists.

Images from the traditional children's day parade on Sunday 27 August 2023 at the Notting Hill Carnival:

_130915544_7f5b224c-e828-4353-8785-260c3e0e786b.jpg

(Source: PA Media)

_130916251_25a82ccb-9c45-49fb-8234-c487ac3a0f61.jpg

_130916252_cf01899c-e46a-49cf-a170-6d8978c490f5.jpg

_130916253_4d19e158-3fe2-4280-81ad-b91dd20f366f.jpg

_130915488_9e0b685d-dfdd-4124-bc15-b90efce8b538.jpg

_130915396_0b3921f4-502c-4532-9bd3-b35695464dc9.jpg

(Source: Getty Images)

Meanwhile, it is worth noting that not all of London's politicians want to see such scenes on London's streets ...

F1ZlLMtXsAInJGh

Susan Hall: Tory London mayor candidate criticised for ‘offensive’ Notting Hill Carnival tweets

Well, I did make it up for the last hour and a half of Digital Soundboy, as it took longer than I expected to get through Carnival to get there. Very good. Even if the fierceness of the subbass did not combine nicely with being a bit dehydrated. Meant to leave at 6.30 but couldn't drag myself away.

Not been on a Monday for years, and I forget how full on it is compared to the Sunday. But glad I caught most of Shy Fx (and friends) set.

Last edited:
I found it really hard to get home. Fatigue and all the beer made me staggery just as the crushes started. Ended up at Westfield. The horror! So long long walk, two trains, a tube and a taxi.

Thankfully slept well. Birthday dinner for my mummy later then back to work.

Fantastic sound from Abba Shanti! I was glued to their stack.

Well made it to Aba Shanti on Monday and even successfully managed to meet up at least temporarily with a few people - a minor miracle. Its a few years now since Ive been to Aba at carnival and I think thats going to be my last one...its just too popular now, too many people. Judgement inna Rugby Scrum!

Managed to push through near a stack and had a great time still - I think partly already thinking this is the last one made me jump all the harder - but its not what it was as just not the room to dance and feel free as years ago....still amazing though, selection and message strong as ever. Really should be moved to a bigger spot or with the speakers moved further apart or something...

Its a mission but Aba Shanti at Leicester Carnival is well worth the journey - its his home from home and being a park theres always enough room. NH is always going to be special though...

As to overall crowds on Monday ---ooooff really busy. Went back to a friends in Shepherds Bush which meant after 7pm walking back into central carnival procession zone against the flow....that was intense..... Nice to visit West London once a year though....walking down streets and through estates ive never been down before thinking where the fuck am i is always part of the fun....theres quite a nice cycleway under westway i stumbled down

Carnival does need something doing to it to improve it.... My dream solution would be, and Im sure Ive said this before, adding a third day Saturday with just floats as a proper family day, Sunday floats and Sounds, Monday no floats only Sounds. Will never happen but I like to imagine it

An estimated 2m people, including many children, attending the 2023 Notting Hill Carnival to enjoy themselves, but it appears that a tiny number of people attended for other reasons:

Notting Hill carnival organisers condemn ‘acts of violence’ after stabbings

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa1b0d8f0-46b2-11ee-be2e-24f758bd7727.jpg

(Source: Oliver Quartly)

If anyone knows the identity of the individual pictured above, who appears to have attended the 2023 Notting Hill Carnival on Bank Holiday Monday 28 August 2023 with something other than fun on his mind, please provide this information anonymously to the independent charity, Crimestoppers, on 0800 555 111.

One report mentioned six police officers were bitten during the course of the Carnival, which perhaps puts a different perspective on the carrying of zombie knives.

Susan Hall, who's mentioned on this thread, is to be investigated by the Tories (LOL) for her racist Tweets.
HOPE not hate has exposed Susan Hall's hateful social media conduct, including liking posts about Enoch Powell.

The Conservative Party's pick for London Mayor's social media conduct on X/Twitter includes endorsing Enoch Powell, Islamophobic tropes about Sadiq Khan, disdain for the press and supporting the myth that the 2020 American election was stolen from Donald Trump.

HOPE not hate has written to Greg Hands, Chairman of the Conservative Party, to suspend Susan Hall and investigate.
Susan Hall Social Racist Media Exposed

This comes on the back of her comments about the Notting Hill Carnival.

Hall blocked me months ago after I repeatedly called out her racist tweets and Twitter refused to do anything about it.

I'm hiding at Solution/(Jah Observer if he comes) corner this year

by the was absolutely top notch fascinating new interview with Austin Jah Observer here - talking about early soundsystem stuff, early carnivals, moving to Jamaica, all manner of get you in the mood topics, interspersed with some nice tunes
One thing that stood out to me is he said on moving to JA with his records lots of people didnt know what we would consider roots classics, partly because in JA majority moved on wholesale to dancehall, whereas in England its been the roots tradition that has been kept alive the most

I heard this on the excellent Live Radio - Real Roots Radio which is my goto station at the moment, excellent roots music standards on there

Am looking forward to this, we’re not going on our hols until the Tuesday or Wednesday so will be heading up at least 1 of the days, prob the Sunday.

Currently trying to encourage Mrs Numbers to come with me, if not it’ll be a solo run.

Back
Top Bottom