Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My silly idea again: earn your age

But then you have a situation where a 22 year old could be earning half what his 44 year old colleague does for performing exactly the same job. And maybe even doing it better. Not workable or fair.

I have been in situations where that's the case now tbh.

i do roughly earn my age (not quite but near) - would be happy to do this for rest of working life...

It would remove a lot of incentive to employ older people, plus why the hell would you do a boring job?

Still can't say I'd complain about the payrise! :)

from f,2,3,4 because her internet is borked

What are the jobs? I mean - would someone, I assume you f234 ;), pick a job out of some range that is accepted (by whom?) to be worth that salary and then I would get to pick which one I'd go for?

Any job at all.

Yes I think it would. I think if people had to train an inexperienced person who was 20 years older than them but getting double their wage, I think they'd be pretty pissed off.

And the retirement thing is because no employers would want to keep people on when they're old. And a lot of older people currently work in part time jobs in shops. I can't see any company being willing to hire them if they had to pay them 65k pro rata

I think they'd be pissed off during the transition to my most excellent system, perhaps, but not if this applied absolutely across the board.

And the chance of an inexperienced person 20 years older getting a job that someone 20 years younger could train them for would be slim.

Does that happen now? The ordinary rules of employment by skill would apply. Under what circumstances do you think the older person wouldn't have any experience at the job for which they are applying?

Well you haven't set out an alternative to the jobs that are currently available. Some people want promotion for the challenge etc but some people only want promotion because it is the only way they can advance their wage. That incentive is no longer there. You're not going to get paid any more for having to go in front of the cameras and explain why you are poisoning the sea with crude oil than you were when you were doing the bit you enjoyed.

My question is would there be enough people wanting to take on extra responsibility/leave the job they liked for a job managing people doing the job they liked to fill the management positions?

Your argument doesn't make sense to me. I may be being dense. can you explain it another way?

Do we need all the management positions we currently have? Are you suggesting that very few like being managers?

Why should you get paid more the older you are?

As a way of making pay equal (as in the same rates/prospects) for everyone while taking account of the fact that you're more likely to have greater expenditure when you're older if you eg. have a family.

What happens to everyone who doesn't get their age-wage on merit? What if I interviewed for a £3?k job and didn't get it. Does that mean I can get a £22k one instead or what?

You either get a job or you don't. If you do you get paid your age. If not, I guess you'd have to live on whatever the benefit system is (not the subject of this thread really, but I'd favour a living wage of some flat amount that was enough to pay rent and buy food).

But then you have a situation where a 22 year old could be earning half what his 44 year old colleague does for performing exactly the same job. And maybe even doing it better. Not workable or fair.

Yes. Unlikely though. How many 44 year olds would be in the job as a fresh starter that a 22 year old might also do?

It would remove a lot of incentive to employ older people, plus why the hell would you do a boring job?

Still can't say I'd complain about the payrise! :)

Why? Across your total wage earners you wouldn't be shelling out more and this is a universal system. And you need experienced people.

I know at least two older people who have started working on the checkouts at supermarkets to supplement their paltry pensions. There is no way they'd get those sort of unskilled jobs if there were people who would do them for 1/3 of the salary is there? It's a system which pretty much cuts older people out of employment.

I'm about to quit my well-paid job to do something else. I can't imagine anyone would pay me 45k to do secretarial work. Can you?

Any job at all.

You either get a job or you don't. If you do you get paid your age. If not, I guess you'd have to live on whatever the benefit system is (not the subject of this thread really, but I'd favour a living wage of some flat amount that was enough to pay rent and buy food).

I don't understand the 'any job at all'.

For example: in yesterday's Gaurdian there is a Press and Public Affairs Manager gig at The Nuffield Trust for close to my age. I couldn't do that. And Senior Communications Manager at Croydon Council. I couldn't do that. HVC Operations and Production Coordinator? Wtf is that?

So what do I do? Decide what job I would like to do and it's 'arranged' that it's my age-wage?

Or if it's one of those and I don't get it then I have to go on benefits? So I'm not taking a 24 year old's £24k pa job?

As a way of making pay equal (as in the same rates/prospects) for everyone while taking account of the fact that you're more likely to have greater expenditure when you're older if you eg. have a family.

The obvious solution to that is to have money based on e.g. whether you have a family.

To be quite honest I don't need any more wages now than I did ten years ago - well, I do but only because I'm self-employed and have fewer ancillary benefits these days. I needed more then, that's all. In fact if I'd had more then I would need less now as I could have bought a flat or something.

I know at least two older people who have started working on the checkouts at supermarkets to supplement their paltry pensions. There is no way they'd get those sort of unskilled jobs if there were people who would do them for 1/3 of the salary is there? It's a system which pretty much cuts older people out of employment.

I'm about to quit my well-paid job to do something else. I can't imagine anyone would pay me 45k to do secretarial work. Can you?
They may have paltry pensions under the current system, but remember that under mine they'd have earned their age.

I don't understand the 'any job at all'.

For example: in yesterday's Gaurdian there is a Press and Public Affairs Manager gig at The Nuffield Trust for close to my age. I couldn't do that. And Senior Communications Manager at Croydon Council. I couldn't do that. HVC Operations and Production Coordinator? Wtf is that?

So what do I do? Decide what job I would like to do and it's 'arranged' that it's my age-wage?

Or if it's one of those and I don't get it then I have to go on benefits? So I'm not taking a 24 year old's £24k pa job?
just as now you'd go for the jobs you can do. Why would this system make you apply for jobs you don't understand any mire than you might now????

The obvious solution to that is to have money based on e.g. whether you have a family.

To be quite honest I don't need any more wages now than I did ten years ago - well, I do but only because I'm self-employed and have fewer ancillary benefits these days. I needed more then, that's all. In fact if I'd had more then I would need less now as I could have bought a flat or something.
Well good for you, but I'd say don't discriminate on the basis of whether you actually do have a family. Pay the same, enough to have a family if you choose, or reward your experiene or just celebrate that you've managed to hold a job down for so long. Who cares why? Its universal.

I don't understand! What if I am not WORTH it?!
because i'm worth it :cool:

20090814896_02.jpg

I don't understand! What if I am not WORTH it?!
Worth it under this system relates to whether or not you can do the job - any job. If you can, you're paid your age, if you can't you wont get that particular job.

Say you stay on after school to do A levels, you would have accrued £170,000 by that point (age 18).

Plenty to retire on. :)

Worth it under this system relates to whether or not you can do the job - any job. If you can, you're paid your age, if you can't you wont get that particular job.

So we're really into the fantasy realm of me being a fantastic chambermaid and getting £36,000 pa for it?

Do you get paid while you're studying? What incentive would there be to spend 7 years studying medicine, for example?

You're being paid to furnish your mind with information in a nice warm classroom and not outside breaking rocks in the winter chill.

Say you stay on after school to do A levels, you would have accrued £170,000 by that point (age 18).

Plenty to retire on. :)
Why that much? I wasn't counting pupils as students but I guess we could work something out...

So we're really into the fantasy realm of me being a fantastic chambermaid and getting £36,000 pa for it?
you'd only have to be so-so :D

Pay scales don't happen because they're incentives for people to better themselves and do useful things with their time anyway - that's just a back-formulation.

I like a nice idea like this.
Not gonna happen ever but.....

How about starting on £20k at 20
Then annual increases of £1k until 50
Then annual decreases of £1k until dead?

I don't think people who are 80 need £80k a year do they? Especially with their kids probably earning £50k + and probably with savings/assets of their own.

No need to start paying out at 16 with parents probably both earning around £40k? One flaw with this is that people with 5 kids over 20 can be earning over £200k per annum as a family/household. A nice incentive to breed like rabbits and swell the already huge population?

:)

So we're seriously discussing this as a viable option? Rather recognising that it's just pub-speak, intended for everyone to say, "yeah that's a great idea!" without meaning one word of it?

Back
Top Bottom