Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mummy! Look what I made!! (The Urban 75 food gloating thread)

I'm so glad you posted that. I genuinely thought 'country white gravy' was a euphemism, and couldn't stand the thought of you desecrating delicious biscuits in such a manner.

tbh it sounded a bit like a euphemism to me too, and I didn't know whether to be flattered or appalled :D

Here's some stuffed roast peppers I made

7073565845_4f3303dc85.jpg
Will have to have go at this myself. Looks ace. :)

It's very much a "Deep South" thing. Well, the origins anyway.

I first discovered country white gravy a couple of years ago. All it is, is sausage meat and bacon browned with some onion, a white sauce made with a roux and milk/cream/, spices including black pepper, cayenne pepper, herbs including sage and parsley and some spring onion, and crumble half a chicken stock cube in. Cut one of those freshly baked biscuits in half and serve on top. Delicious.

That's not an authentic recipe. Real gravy doesn't have all that stuff in it. It's just drippings from either pork, or chicken - a little flour - milk - salt n pepper.

What happens is southern food becomes hip and non-southerners tweak it up until it's something totally different. Or hipster chefs do the same thing to attract attention. The thing about milk gravy is its simplicity. It's supposed to be more like a sauce that accentuates what it's eaten with not compete and overpower.

That's not an authentic recipe. Real gravy doesn't have all that stuff in it. It's just drippings from either pork, or chicken - a little flour - milk - salt n pepper.

What happens is southern food becomes hip and non-southerners tweak it up until it's something totally different. Or hipster chefs do the same thing to attract attention. The thing about milk gravy is its simplicity. It's supposed to be more like a sauce that accentuates what it's eaten with not compete and overpower.

I didn't get the recipe from a hipster chef. Far, far, far from it :D

And most recipes have been barstardised to some extent, some for good some for bad :)

2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together; cut in shortening. Slowly blend in milk, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Roll out on floured cloth or surface to about ½ inch thick. (Do not roll any thinner.) Cut with biscuit cutter. Put on floured baking tray and bake at 350° 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Biscuits are only made with 'biscuit flour' which is a lot like cake flour. If made with regular flour they'll end up being sconeish. I've read where people that live in parts of the country that don't have biscuit flour will substitute a mixture of all-purpose flour and cake flour. I can't remember the ratio.

P1000965.JPG

Biscuits are only made with 'biscuit flour' which is a lot like cake flour. If made with regular flour they'll end up being sconeish. I've read where people that live in parts of the country that don't have biscuit flour will substitute a mixture of all-purpose flour and cake flour.<snip>
FWIW we don't have "all purpose flour" and "cake flour" in the UK. Instead, there's extra strong flour (for pasta and some types of bread), strong flour (for bread), self-raising flour, and plain flour. That's all.

FWIW we don't have "all purpose flour" and "cake flour" in the UK. Instead, there's extra strong flour (for pasta and some types of bread), strong flour (for bread), self-raising flour, and plain flour. That's all.
You can get cake flour can't you? I seem to recall The Blessed Delia mentioning it a few years back and then everyone stocked it. I'm sure I've seen it fairly recently somewhere or the other.

Can't say my biscuits have ever been anything other than like a biscuit and I have never used 'biscuit' or 'cake' flour. The same for my cakes. What a load of tosh.

You can get cake flour can't you? I seem to recall The Blessed Delia mentioning it a few years back and then everyone stocked it. I'm sure I've seen it fairly recently somewhere or the other.
No, we only have the kinds of flour I listed in post 138.

You possibly remember her "sauce flour" which turned out to be flour which had merely been thoroughly sifted before bagging.

Uk plain flour is milled finer than than US cake flour, so all you need is a seive. Cake flour is also bleached, which is ilegal in the UK

No, we only have the kinds of flour I listed in post 138.

You possibly remember her "sauce flour" which turned out to be flour which had merely been thoroughly sifted before bagging.
Ah, you could well be right - although Imhave this annoying memory of seeing cake flour somewhere or other now...

Can't say my biscuits have ever been anything other than like a biscuit and I have never used 'biscuit' or 'cake' flour. The same for my cakes. What a load of tosh.

It's not tosh. In the US there's more types of flour than in the UK. Biscuit (American) flour is only made and sold in the south. It's absolutely critical for the proper texture - which is hard to describe. In a pinch people will use all-purpose but the results are scone-like...still good but totally fail on texture.

It's not tosh. In the US there's more types of flour than in the UK. Biscuit (American) flour is only made and sold in the south. It's absolutely critical for the proper texture - which is hard to describe. In a pinch people will use all-purpose but the results are scone-like...still good but totally fail on texture.

It must be to do with the gluten content, they must change them.

It must be to do with the gluten content, they must change them.

Think you're right. And the grain has to be just so. The flour itself isn't healthy at all. It's very much processed. From what I imagine - at some point in the past it became a *thing*, a competition, to make the highest rising and fluffiest biscuit. It eventually was perfected via flour, mixture and heat. They have to have a double blast of heat in the oven. I don't eat them often anymore but like anything else that's a part of your culture it becomes a part of your DNA.

Think you're right. And the grain has to be just so. The flour itself isn't healthy at all. It's very much processed. From what I imagine - at some point in the past it became a *thing*, a competition, to make the highest rising and fluffiest biscuit. It eventually was perfected via flour, mixture and heat. They have to have a double blast of heat in the oven. I don't eat them often anymore but like anything else that's a part of your culture it becomes a part of your DNA.

I am intrigued by these southern 'biscuits' now and want to try them heh.

Back
Top Bottom