Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mummy! Look what I made!! (The Urban 75 food gloating thread)

I don't do cake making. Just thought it would be interesting to chuck some Caramac in. I used to be addicted to Caramac :D
Tell you what, if it's not too hot to use the oven this summer and I get to the picnic in Brockwell Park, I'll bring some with caramac in it.

Tell you what, if it's not too hot to use the oven this summer and I get to the picnic in Brockwell Park, I'll bring some with caramac in it.

Well if I can't get over, I'm sure there'll be enough guinea pigs to test it for me :D

Here's some stuffed roast peppers I made

7073565845_4f3303dc85.jpg

Really simple: boil up some new potatoes, chop and mix with small cubes of feta and some pesto. Coat the outsides of the peppers with olive oil, fill them up with the mixture and roast for 30-40 minutes.
Yum! :cool:

There's no UK equivalent really - they're a bit like scones but scones have a very different texture. They do look good though.

thanks. generally, the texture of a biscuit is sort of light and crumbly. This recipe with the yogurt came out crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, more like French bread but with the flavor of a biscuit.

thanks. generally, the texture of a biscuit is sort of light and crumbly. This recipe with the yogurt came out crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, more like French bread but with the flavor of a biscuit.
I'd try one but I guess it wouldn't last the trip to the UK!

Best of all though, quicker to make than bread. :)

What would a normal biscuit recipe be?

2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together; cut in shortening. Slowly blend in milk, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Roll out on floured cloth or surface to about ½ inch thick. (Do not roll any thinner.) Cut with biscuit cutter. Put on floured baking tray and bake at 350° 10 minutes or until golden brown.

2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together; cut in shortening. Slowly blend in milk, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Roll out on floured cloth or surface to about ½ inch thick. (Do not roll any thinner.) Cut with biscuit cutter. Put on floured baking tray and bake at 350° 10 minutes or until golden brown.
That looks identical to a scone recipe to me.

I really fancied making my own pizza the other night, base and all. What a fecking palaver that was. Hadn't quite realised that making the dough took so much time/effort, even though I cheated and used a bag of ciabatta mix. But, after much kneading, pulling, squashing, rolling (with a wine bottle, obviously) and throwing round, this was the outcome. It were lush :D

Attachments

• pizza.JPG
    pizza.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 28
That looks identical to a scone recipe to me.
Pretty much except they mostly eaten with a meal and especially gravy. They're also tangier because of the sour milk/buttermilk. For scones with jam etc I'd use butter, non-sour full-fat milk and less or no salt.

Biscuits? And gravy? Why have I not come across this combination before??

It's very much a "Deep South" thing. Well, the origins anyway.

I first discovered country white gravy a couple of years ago. All it is, is sausage meat and bacon browned with some onion, a white sauce made with a roux and milk/cream/, spices including black pepper, cayenne pepper, herbs including sage and parsley and some spring onion, and crumble half a chicken stock cube in. Cut one of those freshly baked biscuits in half and serve on top. Delicious.

It's very much a "Deep South" thing. Well, the origins anyway.

I first discovered country white gravy a couple of years ago. All it is, is sausage meat and bacon browned with some onion, a white sauce made with a roux and milk/cream/, spices including black pepper, cayenne pepper, herbs including sage and parsley and some spring onion, and crumble half a chicken stock cube in. Cut one of those freshly baked biscuits in half and serve on top. Delicious.

I'm so glad you posted that. I genuinely thought 'country white gravy' was a euphemism, and couldn't stand the thought of you desecrating delicious biscuits in such a manner.

Back
Top Bottom