Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Milk's impact on the planet dairy, soya, rice, oat and almond compared

That's not representative of what I posted. You're reading posts with your Dave Angle glasses on again mate.
Are you not asserting that vegans are hapless pawns to faddishness and trends, with the rise in non-dairy milk consumption all down to clever marketing rather than people deciding that they want to drink less cow-titty juice for their own personal reasons?

Your suggestion that most of the current vegans will grow out of it in 5 years time is deeply patronising too.

I don't think you need to be vegan to recognise the fact that killing an animal that doesn't want to die is cruel in some way.

I do hope we haven't been killing animals for food that have a concept of death! :eek:

(hope I haven't been eating any, anyway - packed in eating octopus on the off chance)

Last edited:
Are you not asserting that vegans are hapless pawns to faddishness and trends, with the rise in non-dairy milk consumption all down to clever marketing rather than people deciding that they want to drink less cow-titty juice for their own personal reasons?

Your suggestion that most of the current vegans will grow out of it in 5 years time is deeply patronising too.
No I've not 'Asserted' any of that you're just doing your usual high horse, Millie Tant style, drama routine towards anyone who tries to engage in a vegi-vegan discussion with a slightly alternative view to yours. I knew it was a mistake to try to be fair because you always end up loosing it like this. I was trying to engage in some discussion about the vegan-pound but you seem to think this is only come about because of pressure from consumers and not capitalism cashing in. You sound very naive on that front and I had better hopes that you'd actually engage in that discussion rather than doing this.

Read what I said, you're misrepresenting it. I chose my wording knowing only too well that this would potentially be the response I would get. :facepalm:

Maybe you'd like these threads to just be you telling us how it is hey? I think Freire called it the Banking model, you just fill our empty glasses up with your jug full of the oaty milk knowledge. Discussion forum my arse :confused:

Read what I said, you're misrepresenting it. I chose my wording knowing only too well that this would potentially be the response I would get. :facepalm:
You really can't see that the way you dismiss young vegans - with your 'they'll grow out of it when it's no longer trendy' attitude - is deeply patronising, along with your dismissive opinion that most people trying non dairy milk are just going along with the latest fad?
Most of the people I know who use milk alternatives are doing it for fad diet purposes and all but one are meat eaters

It's on trend and I would like to know how many of them are still vegans in 5, 10, 15 years time? This happened when we were teens didn't it with Mozzatarianism? Every other kid in school was a vegi for a term when I was in 5th year. All the edgy girls were eating nut roast and hedgehog crisps.
Silly kids will soon grow up and get back to meat and milk, eh?

I’m keeping away from soy milk - possible side effects for men:

• Breast development and nipple tenderness
  • Erectile dysfunction and a decrease in libido
  • A decrease in sperm count
  • Mood swings and heightened emotions

"At this point, the benefits of soy milk outweigh the negative effects it can cause,"

It literally says that straight after the bit you quoted.

"At this point, the benefits of soy milk outweigh the negative effects it can cause,"

It literally says that straight after the bit you quoted.

The quote you highlight is talking about the health benefits as a whole, I was highlighting the possible side effects to males which is pertinent to myself.

The quote you highlight is talking about the health benefits as a whole, I was highlighting the possible side effects to males which is pertinent to myself.
Is that any normal male drinking a normal amount of soya milk every day, then? How many cases have there been of your bullet-pointed list of woe?
Can you add any more detail and medical sources past the sensationalistic drive-by?

Phew! Luckily this can put your mind at ease:

Soya-based food and male fertility

Tbf, the article you link is 12yrs old. If you scroll down the page of that article you will find these links:

E03D366D-C236-4691-8A4C-9B7D6360EFAE.jpeg

Here’s a more recent article from Sept 2019:

The active ingredient in soy, isoflavones, behaves like estrogen. Estrogen, erroneously connotated as a female-exclusive hormone, plays an important role is the male body’s hormone equilibrium (Thrane, Paulsen, Orcutt and Krieger 2016). However, elevated levels of estrogen stunts muscle development, lowers testosterone, increases cortisol levels, causes gynecomastia, decreases libido, and even reduces sperm production.

Tbf, the article you link is 12yrs old. If you scroll down the page of that article you will find these links:

View attachment 197108

Here’s a more recent article from Sept 2019:

You're linking to an organisation that is trying to sell testosterone replacement therapy in Calgary? Really?!

Those links are to the articles it's debunking, you nugget.

Are you sure - here’s one of those links:

Men who eat soya-based foods may be harming their fertility, doctors said yesterday, after a study found a link between soya-rich diets and lower sperm counts.

The study showed men who consumed more than two portions of soya-based foods a week had, on average, 41m fewer sperm per millilitre of semen than men who had never eaten soya products.

Ideal.

From 12 years ago.
See, this is what annoys me. It was actually me that posted the NHS article from 12 years ago which debunks a study (also 12 years old) but the real problem is that the same study will keep being regurgitated in various forms, often without source, to anyone who uses search terms like 'soy milk men's fertility'. The internet is basically powered by confirmation bias. This is how we end up with the Wakefield scandal. I mean, this is not some sort of dazzling revelation, but still.

From 12 years ago.

Yes, I know, it’s a link from the NHS page Poot posted.

I’ve already linked a 2019 article in this ^^ post.

Yes, I know, it’s a link from the NHS page Poot posted.

I’ve already linked a 2019 article in this ^^ post.
So you're insisting that the Mas Clinic - a private 'Testosterone Replacement Clinic' in Calgary - is a source so important and credible that is simply overturns any health advice that the NHS has posted? Please explain why. Thanks.

:facepalm:

So you're insisting that the Mas Clinic - a private 'Testosterone Replacement Clinic' in Calgary - is a source so important and credible that is simply overturns any health advice that the NHS has posted? Please explain why. Thanks.

:facepalm:

There’s plenty of supporting articles regarding the effects of soy on males, that article is a recent one, the others are older like The Guardian one, which is a link on the NHS page.

There’s plenty of supporting articles regarding the effects of soy on males, that article is a recent one, the others are older like The Guardian one, which is a link on the NHS page.
Which, has been patiently explained to you, all stem from the same, debunked article. But if you're so sure your claims are valid, why don't you have a look at the NHS site - are any other credible UK/international source that references peer reviewed health information - and find something to back up what you're saying? Thanks.

I posted a while ago that I liked milk and I do, I would be prepared to try alternatives but I do like milk.

However there is also the issue of leather. I like leather, it is a great material for jackets, coats, gloves, shoes, boots, handbags, wallets, etc etc. I do feel that if you are going to farm animals for their meat, using their hides for leather also makes sense.

Would it be possible to live without leather? Yes probably.

I posted a while ago that I liked milk and I do, I would be prepared to try alternatives but I do like milk.

However there is also the issue of leather. I like leather, it is a great material for jackets, coats, gloves, shoes, boots, handbags, wallets, etc etc. I do feel that if you are going to farm animals for their meat, using their hides for leather also makes sense.

Would it be possible to live without leather? Yes probably.
Not one single piece of an animal bred for food, from skin to bone, is wasted. Every single piece is used for something. There really are no by products, now, everything is a product.

My new wallet is oiled Buffalo hide. No idea where they got Buffalo hide in England, but it is lush.

Long time since I had a leather coat. Perhaps that is what I need to upgrade my wardrobe?

New article puts oat milk and soya milk as the most environmentally sound, and both miles and miles ahead of dairy milk. That's handy because oat is by far the best milk out there and I like soya milk too.

Soy: back in favor
Soy milk was the go-to alternative long before almond.

According to the Oxford study, soy milk is the joint winner on the sustainability scale. Plus, soy is the only plant milk that comes close to offering a protein content comparable to dairy. It was the go-to alternative long before almond milk came into vogue – but then soy fell out of favor.

“Soy has a relatively high concentration of certain hormones that are similar to human hormones and people got freaked out about that,” says Emery. “But the reality is you would have to consume an impossibly large amount of soy milk and tofu for that to ever be a problem.” Recent studies have instead found that a moderate amount of soy is healthy, especially for women.

The primary environmental drawback to soy milk is that soybeans are grown in massive quantities around the world to feed livestock for meat and dairy production. Large swaths of rainforest in the Amazon have been burned to make way for soy farms. The work-around for this is to simply do a little research and read the carton to find soy milk that is made from organic soybeans grown in the US or Canada.

Oat: a humble hero
Oat milk ‘performs very well on all sustainability metrics’.

Meet the winner: the unassuming oat.

“I’m excited about the surge in oat milk popularity,” says Liz Specht, associate director of science and technology for the Good Food Institute, a not-for-profit that promotes plant-based diets. “Oat milk performs very well on all sustainability metrics.” Also: “I highly doubt there will be unintended environmental consequences that might emerge when the scale of oat milk use gets larger.”

According to Bloomberg Business, retail sales of oat milk in the US have soared from $4.4m in 2017 to $29m in 2019, surpassing almond milk as the fastest-growing dairy alternative. But unlike almonds, there are already plenty of oats to go around. “Right now, 50 to 90% of global oat production goes into animal feed,” says Specht, “so there’s a huge existing acreage that we can safely steal share from without moving the needle at all on total production.”

Oats are grown in cooler climates such as the northern US and Canada, and are therefore not associated with deforestation in developing countries. The only drawback with this trendy and guilt-free option is that most oats come from mass-produced, monoculture operations where they are sprayed with the Roundup pesticide right before harvest. A study by the Environmental Working Group found glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup and a possible carcinogen, in all the foods it tested containing conventionally grown oats and even in one-third of products made with organic oats. However, the popular Oatly brand oat milk company maintains its oats are certified glyphosate free.

Yes, no, maybe. All these studies are done on US cattle rearing that is very different to the grass fed version we have in the UK.

Of course Oats are still far better, but your almonds and soya come with a hell of a carbon footprint as we can't grow them here.

Last edited:
Another reason to immediately cut back on meat production.

Generally we do not eat dairy cattle in the UK we eat beef cattle (unsurprisingly); if people paid a decent price for milk, instead of buying milk at cheaper than water prices because the supermarkets can squeeze the dairy farmers, and didn't waste a quarter of the food they buy and actually valued the food they bought, that would do more than eschewing a burger.

The cattle I sell as beef are pasture fed and raised (the UK is great at growing grass but not much of it cereals), it is transported 40 miles to get to me.

Eat less, better quality and buy locally, use a shopping list and eat what you buy.

The industrialisation of the food industry is causing an obesity epidemic, has devalued food and resulted in the centralisation of meat processing to enable the big retailers to feed the masses at low cost with intensively reared animals.

I could rant for hours on this but have to be up at 5.30 am to go to work in my shop selling locally sourced, high welfare, free range, known provenance meat.

Back
Top Bottom