Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overnight Oats

Needing to repair muscles is not a symptom of overdoing it.

Physical exertion causes micro tears in muscles, and the body's repair of these muscles is what enables those muscles to become stronger. This is a normal function of exercise, and how humans get better at lifting weights, running faster/further and all manner of other types of physical exercise.

Protein is a vital component for repairing these micro tears, as well as helping maintain muscle mass as you get older.
I have really noticed a big difference in muscle recovery over the last week or so. I'd usually experience a fair bit of DOMS for a day or so after strength training, but even though I've stepped up the weight of my dumbells, it's just not there! I thought at first it might just be me being all placeboey, but no - there is a definite lack of soreness!

Had overnight oats with cocoa powder and a fair bit less milk/yogurt than the last time.

It was much nicer. I think I overdid the liquid element last time, hence it being a bit like wallpaper paste with added raisins.

I had the chocolatey OO that was in my OP again this morning but this time with way more 0% fat Greek yoghurt than oat milk, and with raspberries added this morning. This is too good to be a breakfast :D

Does anyone have to force themselves to stop eating it before it's done its overnighting?

This time.... raspberries, blueberries, peanut butter and banana, chia seeds, maple syrup, caco nibs, Greek yog + oat milk. In the fridge for tomorrow.

Does anyone have to force themselves to stop eating it before it's done its overnighting?

This time.... raspberries, blueberries, peanut butter and banana, chia seeds, maple syrup, caco nibs, Greek yog + oat milk. In the fridge for tomorrow.
The chocolate one yes 😁 Am ok with others. Think I'm gonna do a very simple Skyr and golden linseed/syrup one for tomorrow, and put crushed nuts on top in the morning.

I have a cheeky wee spoonful before I put it in the fridge at night. Doesn't help with teeth brushing though!

Never thought to eat as they won’t be ready till morning but never had chocolate in mine. I do like them to sit out of the fridge for a bit before eating.

Skyr is not for me as really not a dairy fan. But I do think extra protein is needed. Protein powder works well but am going to try blended silken tofu, which I reckon would be lush.
I've made overnight oats using Alpro soya yogurt...it works well.

Why would you need to repair muscle unless you were overdoing it? I exercise every day but eat a balanced diet, which is all you need if you’re healthy.
Because you lose muscle as you get older so exercising alone isnt enough. Boosting protein is a good idea. When I was recovering from a muscular disease I had to rebuild most of my leg and arm muscles. Protein was a big factor in that. I had protein of some sort at every meal.

Because you lose muscle as you get older so exercising alone isnt enough. Boosting protein is a good idea. When I was recovering from a muscular disease I had to rebuild most of my leg and arm muscles. Protein was a big factor in that. I had protein of some sort at every meal.
At what age does this start happening? I’m dreading getting to the stage where exercise isn’t enough and I have to start thinking about what I eat.

At what age does this start happening? I’m dreading getting to the stage where exercise isn’t enough and I have to start thinking about what I eat.

I lost muscle from a muscular disease in my 20s.

But generally in adults you start losing muscle by 30.

Muscle mass decreases approximately 3–8% per decade after the age of 30 and this rate of decline is even higher after the age of 60

Think I’m safe then, cos I have no issues with this. Though most of my muscle gain has gone to my legs and nowhere else as I cycle a lot.

I have read bits of this thread and I have seen posts that say OO can be a bit like porridge and posts that say no they're not, so is there a way to make them not like porridge at all? Porridge makes me heave but I like flapjacks and oatcakes, would only using yoghurt make it more flapjacky?

I have read bits of this thread and I have seen posts that say OO can be a bit like porridge and posts that say no they're not, so is there a way to make them not like porridge at all? Porridge makes me heave but I like flapjacks and oatcakes, would only using yoghurt make it more flapjacky?
What is it about porridge that you don't like? That would be useful :)

Anyhoo, I ended up making/having mine with mostly Skyr, splash of oat milk, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, dsp of golden syrup, and added crushed hazelnuts on top this morning. Lush!

Reactions: izz
Think I’m safe then, cos I have no issues with this. Though most of my muscle gain has gone to my legs and nowhere else as I cycle a lot.
No issues yet that you've noticed. Mate, it's a universal thing that happens to human bodies. You're not a superhero, it will be happening to your body, you've just not noticed it yet.

Liking muesli would probably be a better indicator of liking oo. Its not like flapjacks.

No issues yet that you've noticed. Mate, it's a universal thing that happens to human bodies. You're not a superhero, it will be happening to your body, you've just not noticed it yet.
Never! I am invincible! (IE I never grew up and still behave as if I’m a 19 year old) ;)
(Have got my over 50s MOT this week as it happens, so maybe I’ll get a telling off from the doctor)

I had to ditch the actual oats last 2 times I had this. I really struggled with the consistency when adding to skyr (and some water.)

It's why I'm not a fan of porridge really. I may put some in for tomorrow but I'm quite happy with essentially with just a thick smoothy with the rest of ingredients. Blueberries, skyr, chia seeds, whey powder. Which gets me around 40g protein without me feeling it a challenge to get through.

Thread ban upcoming... :D

I had to ditch the actual oats last 2 times I had this. I really struggled with the consistency when adding to skyr (and some water.)

It's why I'm not a fan of porridge really. I may put some in for tomorrow but I'm quite happy with essentially with just a thick smoothy with the rest of ingredients. Blueberries, skyr, chia seeds, whey powder. Which gets me around 40g protein without me feeling it a challenge to get through.

Thread ban upcoming... :D
Yeh, fuck off to the smoothie thread* then :p

* not sure there actually IS a smoothie thread

Back
Top Bottom